• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roandneil
    • Oct 2012
    • Echuca

Yokohama Geolander G902 scalloping?? 16500km

Just had the 15000 service and in response to our query about increased road noise from the tyres, it was suggested that we needed a wheel alignment . We asked the ? Was a wheel alignment done at time of handover from dealer. They didnt offer to rotate tyres either at the service. Having never had any incident in the Pajero to put the wheels out of balance we aren't too happy to do this at 16500km. Or is this normal. The service man told us there is some slight scalloping on the tyres. All our driving is country driving on highway. Haven't been off road yet.
    We have towed our caravan 500 km so don't expect that is a factor. Anyway, anyone with any ideas we would be most grateful.
  • HSV Rangie
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Hastings

Im lazy and have never rotated tyres and never had the alignment done since it was done after fitting suspension.

First set tyres 60k and 7-8mm tread left. when replaced.

second set 45 k now with half tread left should be good for another 30- 40k

I run 4x4 all the time.

Michael.
    2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• Macster
      • Nov 2011
      • Melbourne

Geolanders are crap in my opinion. I only got 28,000kms... I rotated tires 3 times, and did two wheel alignments in this period.

Mitsi will do this for an extra fee. I too had initially assumed it would be included in the 15,000 service.

Comment

• TheTaipan
        Banned
        • Jan 2009
        • sydney

Originally posted by Macster View Post
        Geolanders are crap in my opinion. I only got 28,000kms... I rotated tires 3 times, and did two wheel alignments in this period.

Mitsi will do this for an extra fee. I too had initially assumed it would be included in the 15,000 service.

They are that crappy I have over 70,000Ks on them never rotated with 6 to 7mm of tread left.

Comment

• Macster
          • Nov 2011
          • Melbourne

Maybe the 2012 batch of Geolanders were crappier than your '07 ones? I drive hard(ish) but not like I was towing a heavy caravan...

Anyway, probably already opened a can of worms. Just my opinion.

Comment

• d.i.wirtz
            • Oct 2012
            • Brisbane QLD

Tyre scalloping

Hi roandneil

The only advise I can give you is this. The tyre brand is ordinary to say the least. They are not designed for Australian conditions and only really stand up to OZ cities.
            As far as the tyre scalloping is concerned that may have simply to do with over inflating the tyre. What I mean is that 40psi maybe to firm and if you reduce the pressure to 36psi due to the softness of the side walls the tyres will wear a lot more evenly and should stop scalloping.
            2015 Landcruiser VDJ79R Dual Cab

Comment

• roandneil
              • Oct 2012
              • Echuca

Thanks for all your advice. I guess it stands to reason that Mitsubishi aren't going to give you the best tyres available are they? Will try reducing the tyre pressure and see if that helps.

Comment

• Goodsy
                Who ya gunna call....
                • Dec 2010
                • Hervey Bay

This is the advice from my local TyrePower who I trust and always get the best service from.
                For my Cooper's rotate every 5000k's or they will wear quickly.

I'm a bit like Michael. I change tyres well before they are near unroadworthy.
                They are usually grabbed by others. This is why I say I never get any more than 60000k out of tyres.
                .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Quietguy
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Forster, NSW

Originally posted by roandneil View Post
                  Just had the 15000 service and in response to our query about increased road noise from the tyres, it was suggested that we needed a wheel alignment . We asked the ? Was a wheel alignment done at time of handover from dealer. They didnt offer to rotate tyres either at the service. Having never had any incident in the Pajero to put the wheels out of balance we aren't too happy to do this at 16500km. Or is this normal. The service man told us there is some slight scalloping on the tyres. All our driving is country driving on highway. Haven't been off road yet.
                  We have towed our caravan 500 km so don't expect that is a factor. Anyway, anyone with any ideas we would be most grateful.
                  I have had the same problem it seems. Very annoyed that they refused to replace the tyres under guarantee, and now at 30,000 the tyres are making the same whining noise at around 60km/hr that drives me crazy. But as the tyre mob refuses to replace them cause they have been run out of alignment I'm stumped until I dump them for better rubber.

David - really pissed off at the dealer for not knowing the alignment was out

Comment

• Dude
                    • Sep 2011
                    • Victoria Point

Mine were scalloping and were chunking out at the edges at 10,000ks.

Wheel alignment soon fixed it, but they are tearing up again at 20000ks.

My magna (i'll always use this a a bench mark at to what is actually feasable) had a wheel alignment at 12 000 ks and they reported that no adjustment was necessary lasted to 90k when I sold it with perfectly even tyre wear across the tyres (which were still roadworthy). I digress.

I thought the wear at newish was due to the suspension rubber bit settlin from the factory settings aproaching there ultimate position and eventually the final wheel alignment should be fine and no more scalloping.

I have often been told that wheel alignment problems are due to hitting pot hols and gutters etc - what a load of sh1t.

Could you imagine hitting something that will cause the suspension geometry to change enough to cause tyre wear without bending the car bits.

Tyres that shred I think ar due to either drivin style or crap car design with sloppy bits that move around too much because the car maker allows flex where there should be none.

Sorry but having had a car that put up with my driving style and most that don't tells me that it is possible to have a car that dosen't rip up tyres regardless of a within limits driving style - rant finished.

dude.

Comment

• Bretski
                      • May 2008
                      • Brisbane

My Geolanders where rooted due to scolloping on my np as well..road noise worse than muddies.. Regular alignments and we even reversed the tyres on the rims to try and get a bit more. They were turfed after 30,000 kms

Geolanders and 4wheel independent suspension just don't mix well.

Comment

• netwrk
                        • Jul 2011
                        • Brisbane

Incorrect pressure will cause the tyres to scallop as will incorrect wheel alignment but even after you correct the cause the tyre will often continue to wear unevenly no matter what. Correcting it early is the best cure.

Comment

• TheTaipan
                          Banned
                          • Jan 2009
                          • sydney

Originally posted by Bretski View Post
                          My Geolanders where rooted due to scolloping on my np as well..road noise worse than muddies.. Regular alignments and we even reversed the tyres on the rims to try and get a bit more. They were turfed after 30,000 kms

Geolanders and 4wheel independent suspension just don't mix well.

I guess that's why I have over 70,000Ks on mine with 6mm tread left.

Comment

• Bretski
                            • May 2008
                            • Brisbane

Originally posted by TheTaipan View Post
                            I guess that's why I have over 70,000Ks on mine with 6mm tread left.
                            Mickey thompsons returned 90,000 kms trouble free with nice even wear with no change to vehicle set up. Similar for Maxis...

Your lucky if you got that out of the Yokies.

Comment

• TheTaipan
                              Banned
                              • Jan 2009
                              • sydney

Originally posted by Bretski View Post
                              Mickey thompsons returned 90,000 kms trouble free with nice even wear with no change to vehicle set up. Similar for Maxis...

Your lucky if you got that out of the Yokies.

I know I will get 90,000. No luck involved.

BTW, what do Mickey Thompsons cost each?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X