• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skexis
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2012
    • Adelaide

Prado

Is the Prado Toyota's answer to the Paj? Was following one of each side by side for a couple of k's yesterday and the similarities are pretty noticeable?

Which came first?
    "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis
  • Darwiniandude
    Valued Member
    • May 2008
    • Adelaide

Pajero

Pajero came out in 83 or 84? Was hugely popular in AU especially in the 90's. the IFS helped with on road manners where a lot of Pajeros spent much of their time.

I think the 90's prado we have in AU looks massively like the Gen2 Pajeros.

Eg:
    Adelaide
    2004 NP Exceed 3.8 V6, SVI LPG, Factory alloy bar and sunroof, 55w HID converted IPF spots, Safari Snorkel, custom rear storage/fold out sleeping platform, Alpine iLX-007E Apple CarPlay head unit & reverse cam

Comment

• Ranger J
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Perth, Western Australia

The 90 series Prado was purposely built to rival the exceptional sales of the recently released Gen 2 Pajero's.

The Prado was first built in the early 90's but wasn't released here (personal import only). They are what the current LC78 wagons are based on.

It's fair to say that the Pajero came first, and arguably kicked off what is now known as the 'medium sized SUV' market.
      NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by Ranger J View Post
        The 90 series Prado was purposely built to rival the exceptional sales of the recently released Gen 2 Pajero's.

The Prado was first built in the early 90's but wasn't released here (personal import only). They are what the current LC78 wagons are based on.

It's fair to say that the Pajero came first, and arguably kicked off what is now known as the 'medium sized SUV' market.
        The 1st gen Prado was in fact seen here in '84 in the form of the 'Bundera', which imho was a knock-off of the '82 gen1 Pajero (although admittedly MM did borrow bits of the styling from existing 4WDs already on the market in Europe & USA), but in '90 it looked like Toyota saw what MM were releasing, quickly redesigned the front suspension, copied the Pajero gen2 headlights/indicators, & changed the name to another Spanish name that also started & ended with the same letters (apart from meaning plain in Portuguese, Prado is a city in Spain)!
        More info; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prado
        Toyota in my books have never really been as original or as innovative as they make out, preferring to use other company's ideas (Subaru-BRZ/86, Yamaha-Toyota 2000GT).

Steve
        Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
        "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

• MTN-KAT
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2009
          • Gold Coast

The name Prado not only starts and ends with the same letters Steve. Four of the five letters in the name Prado are the same as the the letters in the name Pajero!
          99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• Skexis
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2012
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by Darwiniandude View Post
            I think the 90's prado we have in AU looks massively like the Gen2 Pajeros.
            Indeed. It was a Gen 2 I was following and the Prado was uncannily similar. First noticed the rear handle/numberplate arrangement and started connecting dots from there
            "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis

Comment

• Stevie-Ray
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Peakhurst, Sydney

Originally posted by Skexis View Post
              Indeed. It was a Gen 2 I was following and the Prado was uncannily similar. First noticed the rear handle/numberplate arrangement and started connecting dots from there
              "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery", but imho that's true until it has a higher price-sticker slapped on it!!!

Steve
              Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
              "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X