Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Adelaide to Cape York in July, any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geoff&vi
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2009
    • Brisbane

The dust is a real killer, i purchased some stockings to fit over the snorkel head to help with the pre-cleaning and it definitely assisted keeping the air filter clean. The bonus was that you could turn it around everytime you stopped and give it a wash at the end of each day.

I also took a windscreen repair kit, tyre repair kit, some liquid metal and a plastic weld kit, assortment of fuses and some fuel doctor.

cheers
    Geoff
    GONE - 2010 VRX DiD Silver
    NOW - 2012 Prado Kakadu V6 Auto. Opposite Lock bar, Runva winch, Front locker, Bilstein shocks & 2" Dobbo Coils, Lightforce 240's, Scangauge, Dual Yellowtop batteries with Traxide controller, GME 3440 UHF, Featherlite Awning

Comment

• Phil
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2008
      • Sydney

Diffs, transfer & gearbox breathers for sure.

I'll be up there in July as well, leave Sydney 28th June...
      MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• buckster
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

We are leaving adelaide on the 29th of June. A weeks drive up to cooktown to meet up with friends an then up the cape from there.
        Gold VRX Family Pack, Genuine alloy bull bar, super cibie oscar +, Yokohama ATX

Comment

• jawk
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2009
          • Australia

Bloody Hell - are we ALL going to be up there at same time??!!

Leaving 7th Jul, via Longreach and surrounds, then across to rocky then up.

No real itinerary as we have 8 weeks to do it in.

Comment

• Merts
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2011
            • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by psproule View Post
            Depending on which route you are taking, I'd be swapping out the Cooper ATR's for some off-road tyres (which Cooper have admitted to me on occasion that the ATR's are not).
            I think from his signature, the tyres are Cooper AT3s, not ATRs. They are a completely different construction and are a proper all terrain tyre.
            Merts
            Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
            Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• coolsilverpaj
              • Aug 2012
              • Wallaroo, SA

Looks like there will be no shortage of Pajero's up there anyway!! I have extended my rear diff breather, the front one runs up to the inner guard as is so have left it alone. The auto trans doesn't have a breather does it?
              ARB Deluxe bar, 9500lb Winch, Snorkel, 2 inch lift Old Man Emu Suspension, Poly Airs, Dual batteries, Cooper AT3's,UHF, Home made drawers, Engel 40ltr Fridge and slide, Bush skinz underbody protection, extended breathers, 3 inch exhaust, Windcheeter roof rack, Roof top tent, 81ltr Long Range Automotive tank.

Comment

• Phil
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2008
                • Sydney

Yes on the top of the box plus do the transfer case as well.

Some good info and pictures -
                MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• coolsilverpaj
                  • Aug 2012
                  • Wallaroo, SA

Thanks Phil. I have spent a fare bit of time under the car (as most of here have) and never spotted these two breathers. Next project on the list.
                  ARB Deluxe bar, 9500lb Winch, Snorkel, 2 inch lift Old Man Emu Suspension, Poly Airs, Dual batteries, Cooper AT3's,UHF, Home made drawers, Engel 40ltr Fridge and slide, Bush skinz underbody protection, extended breathers, 3 inch exhaust, Windcheeter roof rack, Roof top tent, 81ltr Long Range Automotive tank.

Comment

• KEVMASH
                    • Feb 2012
                    • PALMWOODS QLD

Do all your breathers for sure. I got stuck in Nolan's Brook on the northern end of the OTL a few years back witch was fairly deep with a soft sandy bottom.
                    Took about an hour to get out as we had to unhook my mates camper (witch had lost it's jockey wheel somewhere along the track) so he could get around to snatch me out.
                    Had a Nissan Terano at the time with all the breathers extended from factory except the rear diff that only went up into the chassis .
                    Checked all oils when I got to the top a had some water in the back diff.
                    Have a great trip, sure you will enjoy
                    Kev.
                    2003 NP 3.2 DID, 50mm king/bil, ARB bulbar, snorkel, duel batteries, uhf, hid spotties, 70lt down under fridge, 55lt senco fridge, storage unit, roll out awning bushskins sump & trans plates.

Comment

• mmannion
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2008
                      • Birth place of QLD

Yes definitely do the breathers especially if you intend crossing Nolans as its a soft sandy bottom that gets stirred up easily. Plan ahead and if possible have someone on the other side (or even the same side to pull you out backwards if need be) with a strap hooked up and ready to go, even do a dry run with hooking the strap up to your vehicle so the person doing the hook up knows exactly where to attach to and quick! Nolans claims a lot of vehicles every year partly because people have done all the other crossings without much trouble (because they have a firm base), so they think Nolans being the last is just another crossing, then when they do get stuck they are not prepared/organised to get the vehicle out quickly. Get out and walk it, pick the shallowest, firmest path (usually the right side when approaching from the south) and chances are you will sail through without a problem but prepare for the worst and have a plan in place ready to go. On the northern bank of Nolans is a great place to set up camp and watch the action unfold, there will be plenty of it.
                      02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

• skwiz05
                        • Aug 2012
                        • Darwin

Well, were off on an 8 week tour midyear as well.

Hay, Broken Hill, Camerons Corner, Tibooburra, Bourke, Charleville, LongReach, Winton, Cloncurry, Karumba, CobboldGorge, Undara NP, Chillagoe, Port Douglas, Cape Trib and Bloomfield, Cooktown, Coen, Bramwell, ElliotFalls, Seisia (Pusand Bay), Moreton, Musgrave, Cairns, then Proserpine, Rockhampton, Maroochydore, Coffs, Newcastle the home to Canberra........

Should be a fun all around trip.
                        2017 NX Pajero GLX, Ironman Foam Cell shocks and Springs, PolyAirBags, Yokohama G)15s , LightForce 170's (MM OE), Uniden UHF and HF, MM Roofbars, RhinoRack Cage, Rhino Shovel Mounts and SS Ratchet Ties, MM TowBar,Redarc RH Brake Controller, BushSkinz, Dual Batt-Redarc BCDC1220Ign, Safari Snorkel, Waeco and 2 Custom Power runs to rear, UV Tinting, Internal and Paint protection, MSA Seat Organisers, MM BootLiner, DashMat and Weathershields,MM Neoprene seat covers

Comment

• Quietguy
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2011
                          • Forster, NSW

Originally posted by conquistador View Post
                          Check the car each morning with a spanner. anything that rattles will eventually break.

Our breakages on 3 vehicles included a side step, a brake line, Suspension bush, battery bracket, battery, a can of xxxx that rubbed through, a engineered tow point that let go when snatching out of creek, a few camp chairs, 3 tyres , the entire swivel hub assembly on a troopy and my fishing reel.
                          Were these done going the easy road or the OTT?

David - going soon but the easy way

Comment

• Craig McGoo
                            • May 2011
                            • Brisbane

Hi Coolsilverpaj,

You will have fun. We had a blast even traveling by ourselves. We ended up meeting Bigmitsu at the start of the OTT. We had a ball with them, great guys.

Have a read of our blog. Might give you an idea of what to expect or look out for.

OTT Blog

All the best.

Craig.
                            2008 DiD Exceed.

2" lift Kit / ARB Sahara Bar / Avenger Mako 9500 Winch / Safari Snorkel / Lovell Springs & Koni Shocks /

Wish List: Chip it / Life without DPF Problems. LRA Tank and the list goes on and on.......

Comment

• coolsilverpaj
                              • Aug 2012
                              • Wallaroo, SA

Hi Craig,
                              Thanks for the Blog, the slideshow is great. Looks like you guys had a great time and the Pajero handled it all no worries. We can't wait to get going. We are travelling with three other 4wd's but it's just me and my youngest son travelling together, he is 13 turning 14 and this will probably be one of the last big trips together before the gang at school start to have more influence than ol dad. It should be something for us both to remember. Thanks again, Eric

Comment

• buckster
                                • Jun 2007
                                • Adelaide

Great blog. Thanks for the tips.

Shame about the cryopacking

It's good to see that you tented it through the cape. We are taking our jayco eagle outback and dropping it at cooktown then driving up in the same config as you.

Question for other readers, does anyone know a good van park were we can leave the an for a couple of weeks?
                                Gold VRX Family Pack, Genuine alloy bull bar, super cibie oscar +, Yokohama ATX

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X