X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Dodge
    • Aug 2008

ASC and Engine lights on

Just back from a caravan trip to Old Bar. On the way out of Bulahdelah going up O'Sullivan's Gap and the ASC lights come on. Lost power ... not much fun when towing a 2.5tonne caravan. Pulled off the road and turned the engine off. Restarted and everything OK with no ASC lights on and normal engine power. Continued on to Old Bar without further incident.

Next day minus the caravan we go for a drive and the ASC and engine lights come on. Again loss of power and stopping and turning the engine off cleared the problem.

Logged a service call with the local Mitsubishi dealer, Cullen Autos at Taree for them to take a look. This was first thing on Tuesday morning (Jan 3)Booked in for Wednesday (Jan 5).

Tuesday mid morning we take a drive over to Taree and both ASC and engine lights come on. Try the same trick of stopping and turning off but this time no luck. So we drive around to the dealer and ask if they can take a look now instead of tomorrow. They graciously agree to take a look and tell me they need to order parts. Did a re-set of the lights but before we get back to Old Bar (20kms) the ASC and engine lights are on again and of course minimal engine power.

Parts are ordered on Tuesday afternoon and arrive at the dealers on Wednesday. Pajero booked in for repairs on Thursday. All parts fitted (I understand that a new manifold was fitted along with other parts) I checked when back at Old Bar and yes the top manifold section had been replaced.

Drove across to Tamworth on Friday going along Thunderbolts Way which is quite steep in several places. Can back later that afternoon along the same route. Approximately 600kms in total.

Today we towed the caravan back from Old Bar to Maitland and everything went very smoothly. Approx 200kms travelled.

Full marks to the local Taree dealer for the quick and effective handling of this matter. Hopefully this will be the last of this issue for the life of the vehicle (at least while I own it!)

Good to be able to report that I did not have any argument or issues getting the repairs done. Mind you I did read all the forum entries on this topic before going to the dealer just in case they decided to give me the run around but thankfully this was not necessary.

Cheers

Rin

Comment

• robeggy
      • Apr 2008
      • Nelson Bay

Hi Rin
      Good to hear problem sorted.
      As a matter of interest how many K's have you done and do you do a lot of stop starts in traffic or short trips which may cause the manifold to clog up.I I know it's a design fault but i'm trying to find out if it happens even if you do just longer highway trips as well as stop start short trips.
      Done 50000 K's in mine nearly all on longer trips.( Use the old Hilux for around town shopping etc ).
      Regards
      Rob

Comment

• Old Dodge
        • Aug 2008

Hi Rob

I have done 61,000kms so far and vehicle is a Jan 08 rego so no going on 3 years old. Driving is a bit of a mixture with some longer hauls and some short stuff around town. I tow a 2.5t Jayco caravan at least once per month and generally do up to 200 - 300kms radius from home. Have done 14,000kms on trip to top end in April/May 2009 and it never missed a beat.

Nothing points to the theory about only doing short runs as far as my experience with this vehicle goes.

Had it serviced today at 61,600kms at a cost of $455 at the local Mitsubishi dealer. As always the servicing costs are high but I guess that is true of many makes these days.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers

Rin

Comment

• robeggy
          • Apr 2008
          • Nelson Bay

Hi Rin
          Thanks for that imfo.
          It looks like I will experiance the same fate as others where the manifold clogs up and then go's into limp mode.
          Just upgraded to a Jayco Discovery Outback so I hope this dosn't happen when towing as it did to you.
          Its a pity MMA do not change manifolds to the NT type as a recall as it can be verry dangerous if this happens in the wrong place.
          Regards
          Rob

Comment

• Tigernero
            • Jun 2007

Well we just had our manifold changed today on the NS Diesel and 100km later the ASC, Slippery and Check engine light are back on. Back into limp home mode.

Back to the Mitsubishi tommorow - probably be at 80Km/h for the 90km trip. Not happy at all

Comment

• Tigernero
              • Jun 2007

Just an update - they changed the Map sensor!!! So far so good. You would think that the sensor would have been changed when the Manifold was changed. See how it goes.

Comment

• masgrob
                • Aug 2010
                • Western Sydney

Originally posted by pajdid View Post
                I have just had the ASC off light on, was due to flat battery, started car and took for a drive still remained on, Disconnected battery for a while then reconnected, light was still on drove for about 10 minutes and went out, has not returned.
                If you read the manual it does say if the battery is disconnected the ASC litgth will go on but after a short drive it will reset.
                If I can get out of work, Its worth a try. Play Hard

Comment

• unionfox
                  • Dec 2010
                  • Aus

I have had the same problem.

Had the inlet manifold replaced and the boost sensor.

ASC fault is gone.

But now I am having the occasional surging at 2200RPM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X