• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Griefy39
    • Mar 2013
    • Sydney

Oil leak

Hi guys I have an nj 3.5 dohc did the rocker cover gaskets a month ago and it seemed to stop the leak for a week or so now I'm getting oil getting on to the front drive shaft only when engine running and spraying everywhere some weeks I go through a lot and then it seems line it's stopped for a week or so then oil goes down again any ideas would be much appreciated its doing my head in cheers Griefy
  • P-E-T-E-
    • Sep 2012
    • Margate, TAS

pics? have you estabished where the leak is coming from?
    1999 NL WIDEBODY GLS TDI EXCEED

Comment

• Griefy39
      • Mar 2013
      • Sydney

Originally posted by P-E-T-E- View Post
      pics? have you estabished where the leak is coming from?
      It seems to be mostly from top of motor drivers side I cleaned it and drove for five mins and was covered again hard to identify spot maybe I could jack it up with the engine turni g the wheels to get a better look

Comment

• Downunder35m
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2011
        • Near Melbourne

Are you blowing a lot of smoke too?
        If so the filter in your rocker cover might be blocked and the pressure can't fully escape through the breather hose.
        '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
        Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• P-E-T-E-
          • Sep 2012
          • Margate, TAS

^^ was going to suggest that... when you fitted the new gaskets did you tourqe the rocker cover down to specification?

and when you fitted the gaskets did you insert the gaskets into the covers first before fitting them back on.
          1999 NL WIDEBODY GLS TDI EXCEED

Comment

• Griefy39
            • Mar 2013
            • Sydney

Originally posted by Downunder35m View Post
            Are you blowing a lot of smoke too?
            If so the filter in your rocker cover might be blocked and the pressure can't fully escape through the breather hose.
            A little white smoke on startup but otherwise no

Comment

• Griefy39
              • Mar 2013
              • Sydney

Originally posted by P-E-T-E- View Post
              ^^ was going to suggest that... when you fitted the new gaskets did you tourqe the rocker cover down to specification?

and when you fitted the gaskets did you insert the gaskets into the covers first before fitting them back on.
              Put sealant on gaskets before install but the drivers side was a bit trickier to refit I did not replace the Roy d seals that go around the spark plugs

Comment

• Griefy39
                • Mar 2013
                • Sydney

I had a really good look today and found a round rubber seal of some sort at the back of the rocker cover between the fire wall it was ki led over and there was oil all over it not sure if this is a replacement part or not I pushed t back in as far as I could with my fingers I'll Check co again tomorrow to see if its stopped leaking

Comment

• dolphin
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2008

thats the rear cover oil seal, you need to remove the valve cover so it can be seated back into its housing. can,t just push it back with the cover on.
                  NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• Griefy39
                    • Mar 2013
                    • Sydney

Originally posted by dolphin View Post
                    thats the rear cover oil seal, you need to remove the valve cover so it can be seated back into its housing. can,t just push it back with the cover on.
                    Cheers for that I thought it would involve a mother strip down I hope I can get the rocker covers off they are loaded with sealant

Comment

• RedSector
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • Gippsland

Originally posted by Griefy39 View Post
                      I had a really good look today and found a round rubber seal of some sort at the back of the rocker cover between the fire wall it was ki led over and there was oil all over it not sure if this is a replacement part or not I pushed t back in as far as I could with my fingers I'll Check co again tomorrow to see if its stopped leaking
                      Part is (4) off MF665538
                      Pajero NJ 3.5 V45w DOHC Manual.

Mods- Snorkel, LCD Mirror w/ Reverse Day/Night Camera, Ultrasonic Reverse Distance, King Cobra Stereo, S/S Tube Sidesteps, SMD Interior / Exterior Lights, Floodlights, Removable 12'' Enclosed Subwoofer, Alarmed (microwave / tamper / GPS), custom Carbon Fibre Window surrounds, Chrome mirrors covers, Electronic Rust protector, Bullbar, Rev 1.3 lifters & valves, flexible s/s heater & radiator hoses, silcone vacuum hose, Orange Racing hose, 4Terrain HD clutch.

Comment

• Griefy39
                        • Mar 2013
                        • Sydney

Originally posted by RedSector View Post
                        Part is (4) off MF665538
                        Is that a mistsubishi part no
                        Thanks for that

Comment

• RedSector
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • Gippsland

Is that a mistsubishi part no
                          Thanks for that
                          Yes, only 1 off... you need 4 of them. 2 off for each bank.

Mods- Snorkel, LCD Mirror w/ Reverse Day/Night Camera, Ultrasonic Reverse Distance, King Cobra Stereo, S/S Tube Sidesteps, SMD Interior / Exterior Lights, Floodlights, Removable 12'' Enclosed Subwoofer, Alarmed (microwave / tamper / GPS), custom Carbon Fibre Window surrounds, Chrome mirrors covers, Electronic Rust protector, Bullbar, Rev 1.3 lifters & valves, flexible s/s heater & radiator hoses, silcone vacuum hose, Orange Racing hose, 4Terrain HD clutch.

Comment

• Griefy39
                            • Mar 2013
                            • Sydney

This little sucker is getting force out under pressure I think I pushed it in yesterday and this morning it was pushed out
                            It was rubber side facing out there is also a breather hosexatctge top of the rocker cover on both sides so can't work out where the pressure is coming from
                            Any tips greatly appreciated
                            Griefy 39

Comment

• RedSector
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2009
                              • Gippsland

http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/fo...age-4.jpg.html
                              This little sucker is getting force out under pressure I think I pushed it in yesterday and this morning it was pushed out
                              It was rubber side facing out there is also a breather hosexatctge top of the rocker cover on both sides so can't work out where the pressure is coming from
                              Any tips greatly appreciated
                              Griefy 39
                              There not expensive just replace them with new ones. The rubber is heat effected allowing shrinkage and oil from the cam pushes it out.
                              Last edited by RedSector; 16-07-13, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X