Clear All
  • digitout
    • Jan 2008

i should get it back monday so i let u all know

Comment

• digitout
      • Jan 2008

got the car back after valve clearnace done all seems good so far
      it idles better and seem to have more power ( or me just be hopeful)
      so i hope its all fixed for anther 75000km

Comment

• fryzy
        • May 2011
        • melbourne

I did my inlet valve clearance today and changed the spark plugs. I was told by MM dealer and AG auto gas to use the genuine NP 3.8 plugs as they are a lot cheaper ($10ea) and last as long as the platinum type when using lpg. I set the valve clearance to 5thou as MM dealer said if you set them to factory 4thou they will need adjusting again within 20,000kms when on lpg. I was told this should last about 30,000kms set like this. 10 out of the 12 adjusters had no clearance at all so was a wonder it was running. So hoping problem is now fixed.

Comment

• digitout
          • Jan 2008

do u find it got more power now?

Comment

• fryzy
            • May 2011
            • melbourne

Only took it for a short drive, but it did feel like it was running smoother.

Comment

• Dopo
              • May 2008
              • Toowoomba QLD

Valve clearance LPG equiped NS and others

Got the MM corporate response back from my local MM dealer. They even have service bulletin on the issue which I was shown. Seems LPG vehicles should have valve clearance adjusted every 15?000 kms.

The Mechanic I spoke to said that?s an over kill and suggested every 100?000km or when the problem comes up as it?s a big job to move the LPG gear aside to get to the valves and normally they only do the audible adjustment, so if no rattle, no adjustments. In fact the dealer didn?t even want to touch it as no one there is LPG trained.

What I don?t understand why only LPG equipped cars? Surely if the valves need adjusting, and it only happens on a cold hence petrol start, the same should be happen with a non LPG engine.

Now, any one have the valve clearance specs? Is it done on a cold or warm engine?
              QLDer NS Manual GLX LWB 2008 V6 LPG Lovells 50mm lift ARB bar and 9500 LB Winch. 240Volt 300W on board.

Comment

• fryzy
                • May 2011
                • melbourne

Hi Dopo, I adjusted mine to 5 thou on cold engine. It is not a hard job took about 4 hours and a $200 gasket kit mm sell for doing the adjustment. I was told setting to 5 thou should last over 30000km. It has fixed the issue mine was having and feels like its going better. The LPG gear only needs the elec plugs removed and lifted aside not hard at all.

Comment

• Dopo
                  • May 2008
                  • Toowoomba QLD

Thanks fryzy. I am a helicopter mechanic so will be doing this myself and so I know my car and know its going to be done to my standard, which seems higher than some MM dealers. Or is it I just love that car and hate it when others stuff it up.

Dopo

QLDer NS Manual GLX LWB 2008 V6 LPG Lovells 50mm lift ARB bar and 9500 LB Winch. 240Volt 300W on board.

Comment

• fryzy
                    • May 2011
                    • melbourne

X2 mate iam an ex mechanic and i always get disappointed after trusting people with my car and they damage it or do an average job, so havn't let anyone near them for years. It's an easy job let me know if I can help with anything.

Comment

• Dopo
                      • May 2008
                      • Toowoomba QLD

Fryzy. Did you have to adjust both inlet and exhaust? I note some in this thread say the exhaust are hyd. Seems odd to have one mechanical and the other hyd? Perhaps they are thinking 3.5 motors?

Dopo

Comment

• fryzy
                        • May 2011
                        • melbourne

Inlet only with two adjusters per cylinder(1 each valve). Exhaust is hyd. Inlets are solid due to mivec fitted to inlet only.

Comment

• digitout
                          • Jan 2008

How many Km's did the problem first appear for you guys?
                          Mine started to happen at 70,000km's

Comment

• fryzy
                            • May 2011
                            • melbourne

I purchased it at 104,000km, converted to gas at 107,000km and the problem started at 132,000km. Iam not sure if the valves had ever been adjusted before I had it, it was MM serviced but nothing in service book to show it was done.

Comment

• Dopo
                              • May 2008
                              • Toowoomba QLD

Originally posted by fryzy View Post
                              Inlet only with two adjusters per cylinder(1 each valve). Exhaust is hyd. Inlets are solid due to mivec fitted to inlet only.
                              Thanks much!! The Local MM dealer could not tell me that. They though it was adjusted by shims .

MM you need to train your mechanics.

Comment

• fryzy
                                • May 2011
                                • melbourne

When you do it the cylinders are numbered 1,3,5 on drivers side front to back and 2,4,6 on passenger side. Remove spark plugs and line crank balancer mark up with 'T' mark on timing cover, on cyl 1 compression stroke (cyl 3 inlet valves will be pushed down). You can adjust 1,5,6 in this position then rotate crank 360 degrees line 'T' mark up again and you can adjust 2,3,4. Set to 5 thou on cold engine for LPG. Get the valve adjustment gasket set from MM$200 and only separate the inlet in the centre to remove. Worked well for me and a lot cheaper than MM no doubt
                                Last edited by fryzy; 18-09-12, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X