• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pickle
    Administrator
    • Jun 2007
    • All over Oz

They said I am crazy.

Just drove from Kangaroo Point in Brissie to St Albans in Melbourne in one stint.
    Left at 5am Brisbane on Wed morning and arrived home 1am today.
    My wife reckons I am a nutter for driving that far in one hit!
    I felt fine except for a sore butt!
    What do you reckon.....nutter or what?
    Dave
    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
    Member 1228 Pajero Club
  • Jaster
    • Apr 2008
    • Wollongong, NSW

Sounds about right to me
    Current: Cool Silver '11 NT RX Auto
    Retired: Green '02 NM Exceed Manual

Comment

• peterdeg
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • NW Sydney

Definate nutter.
      You think you're ok until you wake up [maybe] wrapped around a tree.

At least you did the bulk of it during the day. The last couple of hours would have been the iffy bit.
      Peter
      2018 QE Pajero Sport Exceed.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

• Pickle
        Administrator
        • Jun 2007
        • All over Oz

In my defence I did stop o/night on the way up as I was feeling tired. But because I am sailing to Tassie tonight I needed to get back.
        I did have a flight booked for yesterday to Melb but cancelled as I would have had to fly back up there after Tassie and drive the thing home anyway.
        If I had felt tired I would have had a kip on the side of the road....but felt pretty good.
        A few stops for fuel and coffee along the way helps and talking crap to the truckies.
        Dave
        NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
        Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Stroker
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Glenorie NSW

So was that 20 hours behind the wheel...I failed maths sorry......Stop Revive Survive every 20 hours isnt that the saying??

Cheers Glenn
          NP Exceed 2005 3.2 diesel automatic , 100% stock standard except for the headlight globes

Comment

• Pickle
            Administrator
            • Jun 2007
            • All over Oz

Originally posted by Stroker View Post
            .....Stop Revive Survive every 20 hours isnt that the saying??

Cheers Glenn
            I believe it is every two hours according to the sighns on the highway. Also lost an hour due to time change Qld and NSW. Woke up at 7am this morning so could not have been to knackered. Maybe drinking that slab helped me stay awake on the drive home
            Dave
            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• peterdeg
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • NW Sydney

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
              Maybe drinking that slab helped me stay awake on the drive home
              Man I hope we don't have any members of the press here.
              Harold Scruby would have a field day!
              Peter

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

• Stinky
                • Jul 2007
                • Gladstone, qld

that's a big drive. i used to drive bundaberg to townsville, bout 12 hours, in one hit. stopping at mackay for fuel & food. no we live in gladstone its only 9.5hrs or there abouts.
                The story so far.....03 NP with fruit -Sold.
                My15 NX. ARB Steel Bar. LED spots. Dobinson MRR lift. Outback Exhaust Fat Pipe. Intervolt DC Pro Dual Battery setup. Provent. SPi module. MM4X4 Lockup Mate, Paddle Mate & Paddle Shift. Mako 12,000 winch with Dyneema.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!

Comment

• Pete & Mon's NS
                  Valued Member
                  • May 2008
                  • West Lakes - Adelaide, SA

Yep, you are! Thats one hell of a drive for sure.

Surely you felt absolutely drained at the end of it???? However, never done it in a car with cruise, or with an auto. And you did have a tight deadline to meet.

I did Adelaide-Melbourne-Adelaide in one day to inspect, test drive, inspect, more test drive, a car with an old work colleugue of mine. I know, not that far (7.5hours each way ).

I drove all the way to Melbourne, and that was fine. But about half way back to Adelaide I was falling asleep until the Duramin's kicked in (don't ask - long story). Never again - we were then awake for almost 48 hours, and we both had eyes the size of dinner plates when we got to work Monday morning! We slept through most of work on Tuesday though - he was the bosses son so I didn't get into trouble

At least he bought the car - would be pissed off if he said no!

Peter
                  | Gunmetal NS Exceed DiD with Dakar leather | Factory rear Diff Lock | Alloy Nudge Bar | MMCS | Moonroof | GME TX3440 | Custom rear Storage | Stebel Compact Air Horn |
                  | Ford Focus XR5 Turbo in Electric Orange |

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Some people have NFI. Up at 5, bed by 1 - a 20 hour day (or was that 19 hours, with the time difference? - how fast were you driving?)

Stop when you're tired. If you're not tired, why should you stop?

Now that you've had some practice, why not come to Adelaide for a weekend?
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• rajuhn1933
                      • Sep 2008

i was on the road on that same day too as well left gold coast at 6am strait to cooffs harbor passing by the lighthouse at byron bay on the way back did it all in 12 hrs got home 6pm of the same day gold coast time

Comment

• Pickle
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2007
                        • All over Oz

Only kidding about the drinking.....chockie milks and coffee's.
                        Dave
                        NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                        Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• actpaj
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Canberra

I did Brisbane to Canberra in 8 hours a few years ago. Left at 8pm pulled into mums driveway just after 4am. Driving my 87 skyline, lets just say i had a good run down the newell hwy.

Comment

• peterdeg
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2007
                            • NW Sydney

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                            Stop when you're tired. If you're not tired, why should you stop?
                            The danger is you don't know how tired you really are.

Been there, done that, will never put others in that position again (hence the soapboxing)
                            Peter

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X