• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cooperplace
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2010
    • adelaide

is traction control dangerous?

a while I was at an intersection in our 3.2 manual NS, waiting to turn right across the front of oncoming traffic. Seeing a gap, I gunned the engine and dropped the clutch. In 2WD. Rear wheels chirped, the car lost power, and lurched forward into the path of the oncoming traffic. Luckily the 50-tonne road train was able to stop in time.

Obviously my impatience contributed, lesson learnt; but is there anything that can be done other than use 4WD?
  • Quadcam
    • May 2008
    • Brisbane

Originally posted by cooperplace View Post
    a while I was at an intersection in our 3.2 manual NS, waiting to turn right across the front of oncoming traffic. Seeing a gap, I gunned the engine and dropped the clutch. In 2WD. Rear wheels chirped, the car lost power, and lurched forward into the path of the oncoming traffic. Luckily the 50-tonne road train was able to stop in time.

Obviously my impatience contributed, lesson learnt; but is there anything that can be done other than use 4WD?
    If you think you are going to be doing a high powered take-off in 2wd you can turn the ASC off. This switches the TC to brake control only with no power reduction. But if you do this in the wet be prepared to catch the sideways power slide.

But personally I find it easier to leave it in 4H.
    ZH Outlander VRX previously NS X V6 - RDL

Comment

• cooperplace
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2010
      • adelaide

Originally posted by Quadcam View Post

But personally I find it easier to leave it in 4H.
      yes, 100% right.

Comment

• Silver Streak
        Valued Member
        • May 2010
        • Adelaide. South Aust.

Originally posted by cooperplace View Post

Errr, maybe I should say something stupid here, but maybe change your driving habits, so you don't have to gun it, so you're lighting up the the rears. Leave that to the bogan Commodore drivers...lol.

[edit] I did re-read your post, and I guess having a manual probably makes a difference, because you have to drop the clutch, as against steady but firm throttle with the auto.
        Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

2010 NT (Nov) Platinum Pajero, DiD auto, Iron Bark.
        Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

• Stroker
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007
          • Glenorie NSW

Hi Cooperplace

Where your front wheels turned when you span the rears. I can't vouch for the NS but on a NP it compounds the "no drive" situation massively.
          I,ve nearly been cleaned up twice because of this scenario

Cheers Glenn
          NP Exceed 2005 3.2 diesel automatic , 100% stock standard except for the headlight globes

Comment

• matthewfnorbert
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007

in the wet run in 4 high

if ASC is reducing power in the dry you may be driving way to aggressively
            SWB NT X DiD its R E D

SWB NS X DiD that's double D's !! Retired

Comment

• Silver Streak
              Valued Member
              • May 2010
              • Adelaide. South Aust.

Maybe I should try it, before I comment too much. I've only had the tyres "chirp" once, in the dry, and I didn't notice any power loss, but it may be slightly different with the NT??
              Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

2010 NT (Nov) Platinum Pajero, DiD auto, Iron Bark.
              Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                Valued Member
                • Dec 2009
                • South Africa, East London

luckily mine is a 2001 with no TC but it has rear diff lock and a LSD at the rear.

2H or 4H - Just poot foot - although mine is auto so chirps in a straight line is non existent!
                1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
                2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
                2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
                2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• cooperplace
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2010
                  • adelaide

these are all fair points, and I freely admit to my stupidity being a factor. I'll use 4WD in future in these situations.

I also have a bog-standard magna, and it would have been through the gap about 10 times, just with a slight push of the accelerator.....

Comment

• apsilon
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2008
                    • Hills District NSW

IMO the traction control is far too agressive. Sydney peak hour traffic is such that often the only way into traffic flow is to take a gap and that can mean some decent acceleration yet if the tyres scramble for grip (I'm not talking outright spinning, just borderline edge of traction) the TC cuts power but only after it's had time to stick the nose of the vehicle into traffic.

I've learnt to compensate for it and wet weather means 4H for sure but IMO the fact remains that the system is too agressive and for someone accustomed to other vehicles, that can present a danger.
                    MY09 NT Pajero X shortie diesel
                    Mods - No longer fit in my sig so see here

Comment

• VR4hore
                      • Jul 2010
                      • Sydney

I tell you what, that traction control power drop and the freakin' slow reponse from the accelerator really shit me to tears. So many times I've been caught the same way, going for a break in traffic only to crawl out!

It's almost like you have to sit there stalling up the converter before you go just to when you tell the car to move, it actually moves!

I've seen these little modules for sale that are supposed to sharpen up the accelerator response, anyone had real world experience with them?

Comment

• sharkcaver
                        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                        • May 2009
                        • Perth

Originally posted by VR4hore View Post
                        I tell you what, that traction control power drop and the freakin' slow reponse from the accelerator really shit me to tears. So many times I've been caught the same way, going for a break in traffic only to crawl out!
                        I've seen these little modules for sale that are supposed to sharpen up the accelerator response, anyone had real world experience with them?
                        A flick of the asc switch will "sharpen" throttle response for free and save you the tears (up to 80Km/h anyway)
                        as stated in the 2nd post of the thread.

Shane.
                        Last edited by sharkcaver; 05-04-11, 11:07 AM.
                        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• apsilon
                          Valued Member
                          • Feb 2008
                          • Hills District NSW

That's another annoyance, you can't turn off ASC while the vehicle is in motion. First vehicle I've ever come across that.
                          MY09 NT Pajero X shortie diesel
                          Mods - No longer fit in my sig so see here

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                            Valued Member
                            • Jan 2010
                            • Cairns

Originally posted by apsilon View Post
                            That's another annoyance, you can't turn off ASC while the vehicle is in motion. First vehicle I've ever come across that.
                            I can on my NP. Just gotta be traveling slower than 40KPH from what i remember....
                            This may have changed for the NS onwards though?
                            Dan.
                            2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• JoshF
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2008
                              • Brisbane

I still think using 4H is the answer to any issue regarding breaking traction and traction control issues. I haven't seen any real impact to running costs to say you can't do this all the time.
                              NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                              Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X