X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dwright74
    • May 2008
    • Mulgrave, Victoria

from what I understand, the torque converter acts like a hydrualic clutch, preventing stalling when the transmissions is spinning slower then the engine. When going up hill it's benefical as it allows power to be transferred smoothly and without stalling, going down hill it acts similary to depressing the clutch on a manual, but not as dramatic. By locking the torque converter, the engine and transmission are directly linked, so going down hill you get maximum engine braking.
    I'm sure someone else can explain it better, but it's what I understand.
    07 NS 3.2 X SWB with towbar, 17' Steel rims, Bilstein Shocks and Lovell Springs, Gun Metal Grey, ARB front and rear lockers, reduction gears, ARB colour coded deluxe bullbar, custom rear storage.

Comment

• studog
      Wholesale Automatics
      • Oct 2010
      • montrose

Torque Convertor Operation

Hi Guys
      A Torque Convertor is effectively a Fluid Coupling, 1 set of vanes driven by the engine forces ATF against another set of vanes that drive the input shaft. In a torque convertor there is a stator in between the two that locks in 1 direction and directs oil from the drive vanes into the driven vanes and assits in turning the driven vanes, this is what multiples the Torque produced by the engine as transfered to the transmission input shaft (similar to riding the clutch in a manual.) The size of the TC and the angle of the vanes determine the stall speed of the unit, this being the max rpm under FULL LOAD.
      This is a major benefit when towing or steep hill climbing in rough conditions, but is a disadvantage in hill decent due to lack of engine braking due to TC slip at closed throttle.
      Modern cars have a clutch that locks the two halfs together that the manufacturer uses for fuel economy purposes by partially applying the clutch via a duty cycle to modulating solenoid, meaning when applied the clutch is rarely operating at 100% pressure.
      We apply 100% pressure with an external switch giving total control of lock-up operation at all times in all forward gears, this allows 100% engine braking capability during decent and lock-up control when cruising.
      In some cases 1st gear lock-up is not availablle without the Valve body being modified due to the OEM hydraulic design.
      The other major advantage is that the lock-up can be used to control temperature , the TC creates enormous heat when unlocked and under load and you can alter driving style if the temp is monitored and by locking up the convertor heat generation ceases and you will see the temp drop on a gauge immediately with the lock-up applied.
      Hope this is of assistance
      Stuart Kitto
      Wholesale Automatics

Comment

• dwright74
        • May 2008
        • Mulgrave, Victoria

See I told you someone else could explain it better.
        07 NS 3.2 X SWB with towbar, 17' Steel rims, Bilstein Shocks and Lovell Springs, Gun Metal Grey, ARB front and rear lockers, reduction gears, ARB colour coded deluxe bullbar, custom rear storage.

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2000
          • Tasmania

I was told it w as only for towing & low range downhill not for general driving on HW, also you have to turn it off when you pull up as it will stall the vehicle. To me this would just be a PIA & if you are worried about downhill gearing in low then get the reduction gears
          NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
          NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• dwright74
            • May 2008
            • Mulgrave, Victoria

I've got reduction gears and love them, but I find that 1st is too low for anything but the steepest decents and second is generally still a little fast. If this switch can bridge the gap between first and second, then I think it will be a good investment.

Comment

• pauld
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2010
              • Melbourne

I happily use on the highway towing or not. Also useful for engine breaking on mountain roads. You certainly wouldn't use around town. If you forget you get a few seconds of vibration as you pull up and I have found that is enough time to flick it off, a steering wheel paddle would be nice
              2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• oldmate
                • May 2012
                • Gold Coast

Sorted !

OK so I got the home made switch sorted last night.
                Drove to work this AM no problems - about 60Kms, no codes no warning lights.
                Definitely makes a difference to drive. As mentioned by others it gives a "manual" feel on acceleration and engine braking.
                I only tried it on the highway at about 80 and 100 K's - not a great deal of difference at 100 odd, but a definite difference at 80.
                You can feel that you are on the limit of the engine torque at 80 in 5th without the extra revs from the TC, but just give it a tiny little boot and it drops to 4th and feels very responsive.
                Will be very interesting to feel how it goes when I get my Chip It, will order one this week. Will also be very interesting next time I tow the van.
                MY21 NX Pajero
                a few mods to come !

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • South Africa, East London

so the auto still changes up and down with the torque converter locked?

Is it jerky?
                  1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
                  2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
                  2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
                  2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Pickle
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2007
                    • All over Oz

Originally posted by 4ePikanini View Post
                    so the auto still changes up and down with the torque converter locked?

Is it jerky?
                    Nah !
                    Dave
                    NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                    Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• oldmate
                      • May 2012
                      • Gold Coast

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
                      Nah !
                      Dave
                      As Dave said it isn't jerky.
                      A little firmer shift though I would say.
                      MY21 NX Pajero
                      a few mods to come !

Comment

• oldmate
                        • May 2012
                        • Gold Coast

Originally posted by oldmate View Post
                        OK so I got the home made switch sorted last night.
                        Just need to fiddle with the resistor value now - the one I'm using (2.8 ohms) is getting a bit hot, might need to try something a bit bigger to limit that current draw
                        MY21 NX Pajero
                        a few mods to come !

Comment

• Gulfstream
                          • Oct 2011
                          • Sweden

Here's my switch installed:

-07 NS Pajero DI-D

http://www1.garaget.org/archive/106/...76-2962958.jpg

Comment

• drew4x4
                            • Nov 2008

Hi all,
                            Has anyone got some advice on the correct value resistor to use and possibly wiring diagram? Feel free to PM me if prefer.
                            Cheers,
                            Drew
                            2008 NS Pajero LWB Platinum DID,
                            -ARB Dual Battery-ARB Fridge-ARB Compressor-ARB Rear Locker-OME 2"Lift -ARB Deluxe Bar-9000lb Warn Winch-Safari Snorkel-Aux Fuel Tank-IPF Driving Lights-Uniden UHF-Rhino Full length Roof Rack-Iron Man Awning-Diff breathers-Jayco Expanda Outback

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2009
                              • South Africa, East London

I made my own kit after scouring through the wiring diagrams and manuals.

I have gone one better though......I think......

I have been feeling uneasy about that resistor generating a fair amount of heat when the ecu allows 12volt through it. Essentially the ecu acts as ground so if it normally would lock up 12volt will pass through the resistor.

To combat that i have added another relay that will bypass my wiring and render the gearbox in stock form when the ecu wants to use lockup. So essentially when my switch is on and the ecu wants lockup it locks through it's own process but as soon as it unlocks my relays kick in and keeps it locked up.

With the switch off the gearbox wiring is essentially stock.

So the resisitor essentially will never see 12volt but for the split second in relays switching power around. In this method i dont know if the relay is crucial but im leaving it there to avoid the ecu maybe throwing a code.

Taking another test drive today i can clearly see how the slippage in the box wastes fuel. This mod will definitely save me on fuel economy. I will almost put a wager on it.
                              1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
                              2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
                              2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
                              2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X