• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chook
    • Aug 2007
    • canberra

3.2 running too rich

Hi all,
    I now have my 3.2 DID (2005) built and in the engine bay. Upon start up we discovered that it is running way to rich a mixture. (white smoke, rough idle, cannot rev up).
    The timing is spot on TDC and pump as per the specifications in the book so I'm at a loss what to look for. Could it be that after 2 months without the battery the computer needs to be reset/recalibrated? My local MM dealer seems to think that if the injectors were not put into the same hole they came out of the computer will be out in calibration. any thoughts?
    cheers
    chook
    p.s 4 weeks to Cape York and counting down
    Last edited by chook; 13-03-13, 04:22 PM. Reason: addition
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

Originally posted by chook View Post
    My local MM dealer seems to think that if the injectors were not put into the same hole they came out of the computer will be out in calibration. any thoughts?
    This sounds very much wrong to me. The pre-common rail DiD just has plain old 'dumb' mechanical injectors. It should not matter which position they get reinstalled in.
    Is the 'check engine light' staying on?
    Have you had the Paj hooked up to a computer at the dealer to check for any codes? This will likely be your best way of working out what is going on and getting it resolved....
    Dan.
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Goodsy
      Who ya gunna call....
      • Dec 2010
      • Hervey Bay

Maf??
      .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
      NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• scruffy
        Valued Member
        • Oct 2012
        • Caboolture

Sounds like the timing is out to me. Double check the timing of the cams, inj pump and TDC. Starting from scratch should find the cause. The harmonic balancer hasnt slipped and putting the timing marks out? Bob
        98 NL GLS 3500. Now with a Bocar bullbar and 265/75/16 tyres. Waiting for a snorkel and UHF.
        Now with 7" HID

Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get. Alcohol is a preservative isnt it?

Comment

• sharkcaver
          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
          • May 2009
          • Perth

White smoke is low combustion temperature, not running rich.
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Phil
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2008
            • Sydney

Got to start with a fault code check.
            That's what its made for, to point you in the right direction.
            MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• DiDExceed
              • Jul 2011
              • Kuluin, QLD, Australia

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
              White smoke is low combustion temperature, not running rich.
              As above white smoke is not rich, its low temp combustion or it coolant.

Blue= oil
              Black = fuel
              White = water/coolant*

*In most cases

2003 Silver NP DiD Exceed Auto, MMA alloy bullbar, GME TX3440 UHF, 2DIN GPS unit w/ Reverse Camera, DBS w/ RedArc SmartStart w/ overide, 82AH AGM & HD 20A Sockets in rear for WAECO 60LTR, ARB on board Air Compressor, RedArc Remote Head Brake controller, 2" HD/F, SD/R Lovells & OzTech shocks with Firestone Coil-Rites, 265/70R16 Pirelli Scorpion AT's, ProRack Crossbars & Awning

2012 Black ASV50 Toyota Camry Atara SL

2006 Jayco Destiny 16.51-1

Comment

• chook
                • Aug 2007
                • canberra

Thanks for all the leads.
                I don't think it is coolant related as the engine was just coming up to temp (warm) at which time we turned it off. The engine does not rev up past 1800 rpm.
                Could the computer be in limp mode?
                I'll get the codes checked out. Hope there are some to see.
                cheers
                chook

Comment

• Catchin Jack
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2012
                  • Central Coast NSW

Below is a link which explains causes of different coloured smoke

CLICK HERE

Leo

Comment

• Rubber
                    • Jan 2013
                    • UK/EIRE

Good link!
                    2003 auto Shogun Warrior LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• scruffy
                      Valued Member
                      • Oct 2012
                      • Caboolture

I would still recheck all of the timing marks as if the timing is out then you could have the injectors injecting fuel when the valves are open thus producing the white smoke and poor running. Bob
                      98 NL GLS 3500. Now with a Bocar bullbar and 265/75/16 tyres. Waiting for a snorkel and UHF.
                      Now with 7" HID

Forget the health food, I need all the preservatives I can get. Alcohol is a preservative isnt it?

Comment

• Shano592
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2012
                        • Central Coast NSW

I just stumbled on this from the RACQ website.

General info, I know ... but still ...

"Electronic injectors are often individually calibrated to the engine management computer and must be refitted into their original place. If mixed up, or the injectors are overhauled, the system will need to be recalibrated."
                        Gun Metal 2006 NP VR-X Auto DiD | Cabin Air Filter Mod | Tinted Windows | EGR Blanked | Upper Timing Chain Guide - Replaced Twice | Still rolling like a tank.

Comment

• Goodsy
                          Who ya gunna call....
                          • Dec 2010
                          • Hervey Bay

Originally posted by Shano592 View Post
                          I just stumbled on this from the RACQ website.

General info, I know ... but still ...

"Electronic injectors are often individually calibrated to the engine management computer and must be refitted into their original place. If mixed up, or the injectors are overhauled, the system will need to be recalibrated."
                          This only applies to common rail DiD's. So not applicable.
                          .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
                          NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• Shano592
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2012
                            • Central Coast NSW

Oh, crud.

One more thing to concern myself over ... if I ever did more than just look under the bonnet occasionally.
                            Gun Metal 2006 NP VR-X Auto DiD | Cabin Air Filter Mod | Tinted Windows | EGR Blanked | Upper Timing Chain Guide - Replaced Twice | Still rolling like a tank.

Comment

• chook
                              • Aug 2007
                              • canberra

traced vacuum lines and found 2 that connect to an electronic valve that were broken during installation by the mechanic. Fixed them but now it runs rougher than ever. (should have let them stay broken . A mate still believes it is overfuelling because during the oil pump priming stage we had enough diesel spray coming out of the glow plug holes to scare all of the bees and wasps away from my grapes. More than he had ever seen in his life.
                              I'll be checking the fuel lines next to see if any were placed on the wrong inlet pipe etc.
                              The timing was checked 3x prior to fitment with No 1 & 4 pistons at TDC while the timing chain was as per book, the timing cover was on 0, the numbers and letters on the gears matched and the pump gear notched tooth was on the mark.

Keep up the suggestions
                              chook

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X