Below Nav Bar

Collapse

Spark plug replacement. Who's gone the longest??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Goodsy
    Who ya gunna call....
    • Dec 2010
    • Hervey Bay

Spark plug replacement. Who's gone the longest??

G'day guys
    I'm at 131k ATM. Well over what is recommended for a plug change but she is running
    sweet. So what's the longest you've gone before your first plug change.
    .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
    NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.
  • sprintman
    Valued Member
    • May 2010

When you pull them and fit the new ones you'll understand why. Plugs are cheap, move to NGK Iridium IX for longer use and better combustion (see web site for explanation)

Comment

• spen175
      • Aug 2007

It seems to make the most sense to do the plugs and leads when you do the timing belt.

I run gas and when I pulled mine at 146K (yep silly) they were fine (gas is softer on plugs). A sample plug was checked at 110k and was good so we left them tuntil later. Would I leave them that long again?- no way - they will be changed at the next belt change to save on labour (mine).

Belt changes seem to be the ideal time to do all the preventative maintenance such as seals, gaskets, other belts, cam pulley's, harmonic balancer bolt etc. Not that hard if you are reasonable with a spanner - will take the better part of a day and there are instructions on the forum to do it.
      cheers
      spen

Comment

• Goodsy
        Who ya gunna call....
        • Dec 2010
        • Hervey Bay

So did you do the plugs at 100k or are you going to do them at 200k?

Sprintman. Care to elaborate please. There is a lot of talk on plug choice and
        change time.
        .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
        NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• spen175
          • Aug 2007

Changed them at 146k - tips still looked good

cheers
          spen

Comment

• leo xtgt69
            • May 2011
            • Albury

I did mine at 27000kays from new when i copped some dirty fuel. Just did them again at 92000 so 65000kays this time and they were absolutley stuffed! Its a 3.8 liter petrol with the sequent injection gas set u pfrom about 12000 kays from new. It was missing under load and speed. I always though gas was harder on plugs because its harder to ignite than petrol so they work harder thus wear out faster??
            Cheers Leo

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X