• Show
Clear All
  • Patagonia
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2009
    • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

3.5 SOHC 6G74 NL spark plug change advice

Hi all,
    Have read a whole lot of information here and google regarding how to change the spark plugs and cables of my 3.5 SOHC engine but still have some doubts.

- What I know: Lot more work than the DOHC engine. Intake manifold has to be taken out, gasket replaced.

Doubts:
    - It is only one gasket that has to be replaced?...I bought one that has six holes on it but on some places they tell me I have to take out the manifold by parts and that I also need 2 more gaskets (3 holes each one), is it true?
    - Do I need to drain the coolant or I can just tap the hose so it doesn`t leak?
    - Can someone point me out a tutorial or a links with photos of the job?, I only seem to find this for the DOHC or the 3.0 liter engine..., is the one from the 3.0 engine similar to use?

Edit: Found this thread from a 3.5 NM, it is the same engine as the NL as regarding the spark plug change?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Patagonia; 24-01-11, 01:47 PM.
    2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
    Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
    31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
    2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!
  • my.paj
    • Dec 2010
    • Tullamarine

Only one gasket, the only coolant loss is from the throttle body so not to bad, you dont take of the inlet manifold you only take of the plenem chamber I think it has about 6 bolts, its not to bad but I think there is a service manual on here I hope someone will send it to you.
    Old, NP Exceed 3.5 petrol, ARB Bull bar, Warn winch, Bush Skinz Bash plates ,2inch lift, Safari Snorkel. ***Now Sold***
    New, RG Colorado Dual Cab Tray

Comment

• Patagonia
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2009
      • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Thanks! so I guess you can take out the hole plenum and don´t need to split it as it appears on this picture. Also, the manual says that acceleretaor cable and throttle cable needs to be adjusted after re-fitting, what is the adjustment that need to be made?

Regards
      Alejandro
      Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
      2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• Patagonia
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2009
        • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Another question, does somebody has the tighthenig torque for the plugs?, it seems the manual I have has that page missing

Thanks

Comment

• guru101
          • Feb 2009
          • Bathurst NSW

Plugs torque to 25 Nm.

Should be no reason why you would have to pull the plenum chamber down to the extent of that exploded view unless it has damage or air/water leaks.

Cables would not need adjustment if they are not disconnected from the throttle body.

Dont forget to clean around the plugs and heads before removing the plugs, a plug change is a very easy way of putting dirt, dust and all kinds of other crap directly into your motor.
          1996 NJ SWB
          TJM alloy winch bar, custom alloy side steps, custom hilift jack and recovery hook points, UHF, sat nav, Airflow snorkle, custom made extended diff's and transmission breathers, onboard air compressor, DBA premium slotted brake rotors and Maxxis bighorns all round, Piranha dual battery system. Winch is on the wish list.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X