• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 03gallagherj
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2009
    • South Coast NSW Batemans Bay

Knocking noise front end

Hey guys just done a trip through the Merricumbene Firetrail out near Bendethera NSW, not a bad track but i have gotten back home and the ol paj has developed a bit of a knock in the front end.

The Lower Ball joints were creaking around as the boots have split so theres no grease in them so i re greased them that solved creaking (until the grease came back out) The knocking noise happens on a downward flex in the front end, and also when under heavy brake. It sounds like when the brakes are applied that the whole front diff knocks forward then you take your foot off the brake and back on again and it goes "clunk"

Im going to pull the front end apart tomorrow to check it all out, had a look the other day on a hoist applied pressure to ball joints rod ends pitmen arm steering idler and the likes all are still in top conditions except lower ball joint boots.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check and how to go about checking it????

Cheers, Jackson
    Currently:
    1995 2.8 TD NJ Paj Running 33x11.5x15 Maxis Bighorns, Lokka, GQ Coils, torsions wound up, Tough Dogs All around, Steel Racks With Cage, Awning, Steel winch bar, 9,500lbs Winch, Safari Snorkel, 2x130w IPF's (1 spread, 1 spot), 150L Long range fuel tank, ASIN Hubs and Sliders
    Coming:
    Storage Drawers, 33" BFG KM2's

• REDNUT
    • Apr 2009

id be looking at the front diff mount bush, controll arm bushes, and front sway bar bushes,

perhaps also wheel bearings?

Comment

• 03gallagherj
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2009

front diff mount was going to be one of the first things to get a look at tomorrow, swaybar bushes all good not long replaced control arm bushes also all good and not long replaced them either. Wheel bearings i checked them yesterday actually and they are all good too lol hhahahaha
      Currently:
      1995 2.8 TD NJ Paj Running 33x11.5x15 Maxis Bighorns, Lokka, GQ Coils, torsions wound up, Tough Dogs All around, Steel Racks With Cage, Awning, Steel winch bar, 9,500lbs Winch, Safari Snorkel, 2x130w IPF's (1 spread, 1 spot), 150L Long range fuel tank, ASIN Hubs and Sliders
      Coming:

Comment

• REDNUT
        • Apr 2009

only really leaves the lower ball joints?

Comment

• 03gallagherj
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2009

hmmmmm yes thats what im thinking, was looking at the LH lower and it seems it has moved so im gonna check the bolts lol. Along with the Diff mounts so hopefully the bushes there are still ok.
          Currently:
          Coming:

Comment

• 03gallagherj
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2009

guess what???? i found the problem.

when i had my upper control arm bushes replaces recently, the mob that fitted them for me didnt tighten the upper control arm to the mounts on the chassis properly.

It mounts to the shock tower area with 2 Bolts with the Bolt head being 19mm and the nut being a 17mm. When i check over the suspension this morning i discovered that i could rock the wheel in and out around 5cm. i was trying to see where it was moving on and then i saw the bolts that were just moving around, they were only finger tight when i got to them this morning. Man im lucky they didnt fall out when i was driving the car.
            Currently:
            Coming:

Comment

• peejay68au
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2007
              • nsw

Originally posted by 03gallagherj View Post
              guess what???? i found the problem.

when i had my upper control arm bushes replaces recently, the mob that fitted them for me didnt tighten the upper control arm to the mounts on the chassis properly.

It mounts to the shock tower area with 2 Bolts with the Bolt head being 19mm and the nut being a 17mm. When i check over the suspension this morning i discovered that i could rock the wheel in and out around 5cm. i was trying to see where it was moving on and then i saw the bolts that were just moving around, they were only finger tight when i got to them this morning. Man im lucky they didnt fall out when i was driving the car.
              That happened to the father in law with my old jabber, but it did come out and leave him stranded.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• glenn_cot
                • Dec 2009

This is very comon problem they are a fine thread, once they have been undone after 10 plus years the nuts loosen themselves, the bolts and nuts need to be replaced.
                Glenn

Comment

• Custardchucker
                  • Apr 2010
                  • N E Victoria

My NL did the same thing too. After i tightened them up the first time and they came loose again. I sourced some new bolts and nuts and with a touch of Loctite they havent budged since.
                  Your a lucky man Gallagher!!!
                  Cheers
                  Toby
                  99 NL 2.8 Turbo, 31" Cooper St's ,2-1/2 Inch H/duty Lift with Polly bags, Snorkel, ARB Winch Bar with 12000 lb Winch, Lightforce Spotlights, Dual Battery, Turbo Timer, Front ARB Locker, Home Made Rear Storage,

Comment

• 03gallagherj
                    Valued Member
                    • Nov 2009

Yeah im thanking my lucky stars that it didnt come out as i was on my decent on the clyde mtn when it got really bad. its the Mountain between canberra and the coast.

Im thinking i will go and buy myself some new spring washers nuts and bolts plus some locktite
                    Currently:
                    Coming:

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X