X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • STEVE_94nj
    • Sep 2008

4 x 4 drive keep on flashing

Hi all i am new to the Pajero never had one i have a 94 nj v6 5 speed and the 2 top green lights that indicate 4 x 4 drive keep on flashing when not in 4x4 ? .
    When i put it in 4x4 then lights stop flashing ,4x4 work's good so ?

hope you can help Cheers Steve
  • STEVE_94nj
    • Sep 2008

All Good i will have a look at this http://autofix.com.au/blog/archives/35

Comment

• dolphin
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008

Steve, i have been through all of this with both my previous NH and now my NM pajero. the indications you describe sound to be a possible fault in Transfere case Sensor Unit that picks up 2 x 4 drive, it could be a loose contact or broken wire on this area. i would eliminate a faulty Vacume Solenoid as you can get into 4 x 4 also the front diff switch unit, these 2 units normally indicate flashing 4 x 4 lights and not 2 x 4 lights.
      NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• STEVE_94nj
        • Sep 2008

i had i play with the front diff switch unit if i pulled the arm on the front diff that lock's it in the ligth stop's flashing .
        so to me i think that the arm is not going back 1mm or so to hit the switch ? or the switch is shit ? i will have a play on the weekend.
        Thanks for your help i have had some fun in it , love the 4x4 i had a 91 subaru that was fun but not like this .

Comment

• Mad Mac
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Australia

Most probably one of the vacuum things, not disengaging it properly.

You have probs already read it, but i prefer this article.

Free Web Hosting For Your Free Blog. BlogEasy provides a free blog hosting service for publishing news, journals, articles, and information to share and make money online.

Shane

Originally posted by STEVE_94nj View Post
          i had i play with the front diff switch unit if i pulled the arm on the front diff that lock's it in the ligth stop's flashing .
          so to me i think that the arm is not going back 1mm or so to hit the switch ? or the switch is shit ? i will have a play on the weekend.
          Thanks for your help i have had some fun in it , love the 4x4 i had a 91 subaru that was fun but not like this .

Comment

• dolphin
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by STEVE_94nj View Post
            if you remove the front diff switch firstly oil will drain out from the diff, this switch is only a ball end type meaning there is a ball bearing at the end that will move in / out for both contacts, you can easily test this switch with a multimeter ie; push in ball circut out ball no circut or viceversa i think.
            NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• martin7
              Valued Member
              • Jan 2008
              • High Wycombe W.A.

both of mine do the same thing and i just tell the missus that its the pajero's way of telling me its time to go 4wdriving.
              cheers murray
              95 NJ PAJERO 3.0LT V6, AUTO, MAN HUBS, ECB bullbar, WARN 9000lb WINCH, dual long range tanks (205lts), Airtec snorkel, K&N air filter, rotronics dual battery system, GME tx4400 uhf, rated recovery points on all 4 corners, GQ rear coils

Comment

• neilo
                • Feb 2008

Mine does the same, sometimes it stops if I pull over and take out of gear then reengage it and start off again, Pain in bum. seeya neilo
                NW diesel auto

Comment

• Wiseowl
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2009
                  • Brisbane

Flashing 4x4 Lights

Mine has just started doing this the lights go out when in 4x4 when disengage 4x4 the top 2 flash. After a bit they stop and some time later they start again. PAIN..... I hear it trying to engage when the lights start to flash ya can fell a slight bump. I have to check it out when I get time.
                  cheers
                  Formerly 1998 NL Pajero Sold*******
                  2007 BF MK11 302 BOSS GT VK4LQ

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Gold Coast

Wiseowl and co, The bump you hear is probably the actuator rod at front diff connecting/disconnecting the two front wheels when the yellow dot solenoid works then stops working indicated by the two green front wheel lights flashing on dash in 2wd then going blank. This is not engaging 4wd which is done via the transfer lever in cabin. When there is no vacuum to hold rod in diff it spits it out when vehicle moves. Check your yellow dot solenoid located next to blue dot solenoid on inner wheel arch in front of brake master cylinder. When two front wheel lights flashing on dash then I would twist rubber hose off nipple leading out to front diff with engine running in 2wd put finger over nipple if no vacuum then solenoid is faulty or seizing. There is a small coil inside which burns out. Very common problem and 95% of the time this is cause. This solenoid sucks on diaphram pushing actuator rod into front diff to disconnect front wheels from each other for true 2wd. Conversely the blue dot solenoid pulls rod out of front diff to connect front wheels as part of 4wd mode. The sensor on front diff expects rod to be in position consistent with mode of choice. So when in 2wd and rod is out of front diff for 4wd it flashes. These lights go solid in 4wd mode because sensor expects rod out of front diff. Replace yellow dot solenoid. Three options. First is genuine, must buy the two on rack even tho can be removed separately, cost about $280. (Some have paid $1000 to replace all 8 sensors when only this was the problem. Nice money spinner. Any decent mechanic would try the simple solution first.) Second pay $37 at Ashdown Ingram (www.ashdown-ingram.com.au for store location) for a new universal VSV solenoid part nu SWX029. Third pay $10 for a used one from wreckers. These solenoids are used in different vehicles, even for a/c. You can test if working by applying 12v to terminals and hear clicking sound of valve opening and closing. Easy to change over. Hope this helps. Cheers.
                    99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• Wiseowl
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Brisbane

wow thank you so much gotta love this site for the great help it has. I will look at it soon and let you know how I went.

Comment

• Wiseowl
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Brisbane

thanks for the info. I will test it then get a new solenoid for the yellow dot on. I had a quick look above where the 2 solenoids are there is a pipe with a rubber cap on the end I gave mine a wriggle and a lot of dirt fell out. I thought I had fixed it but it started to flash again as I came to the lights I heard a whir sound and like gears meshing but not bad only slightly adn then felt a jolt and the green lights started to flash they have now stopped again I will check out what you have said and get the new solenoid for it. Thank you so much for you valued help.

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2009
                          • Gold Coast

Wiseowl, The cap you refer to covers the end of the breather pipe for the front diff. It is on a small curved up piece of metal tubing. This won't change anything. You can't mess up with this. See the rubber tubes at both solenoids. They are color coded with a matching color stripe running along the rubber to match the color dot on the solenoid. Just study it for a bit to see where the hoses come from and go to. There is a hose running from motor to both solenoids taking vacuum to the solenoids and the internal valve inside each controls which solenoid is sucking on the diff rod. Take a digi pic to refer to then test for vacuum in 2wd. It's unlikely but if the yellow dot solenoid is sucking then you could have a loss of vacuum from solenoid to actuator rod. Easy to test this too. Take rubber hose off blue dot solenoid and with engine running put in 4wd Hi on driveway. This would switch off yellow dot and suck thru blue dot. Put finger on this nipple too and check for vacuum. Then take the yellow striped hose and put on blue dot nipple leading to diff. This will suck rod into diff (doing job of yellow dot solenoid) with a clunk if no vacuum leak in hose. Obviously this reverses the issue as the diff sensor is looking for the rod to be out of diff for 4wd mode so the two front wheel green lights on dash will be flashing instead of being solid! This is an easy way to check hoses for leaks. Remember then to put blue striped hose back on blue dot solenoid as before and you will now know whether there is a vacuum leak in yellow hose causing flashing lights in 2wd mode or if it's the yellow dot solenoid. It's really a great system when understood. A friend of mine had a malfunction resulting in no vaccuum at either solenoid and traced it back along the rubber hose to the connection at motor to find the hose split at source so cut off the end and reconnected and problem solved. Cheers.
                          99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• Wiseowl
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2009
                            • Brisbane

Hi Again I have looked at what you advised and I thank you. It seems to have plenty of vacumn as I pulled the hose it let a lot of air out. So I decided to pull the asembley out and did I have trouble getting the wiring harness off. Then I found that the contacts were covered in a bluey grey greasy susbstance. I figured maybe that was causing it to go intermittment flashing. I got a syringe filled it with metho and cleaned it out best I could and blew it with the air compressor and repeated the same a few more times. Cleaned the unit contacts as well put all back together. heres hoping it was a bad connection. What gave me the idea was I hit a bump and it went off. I will let you know if that fixed it for sure so far so good. I also purchased a solenoid from the place you suggested and will keep that in case mine dosent work. Thank You once again.

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2009
                              • Gold Coast

Your welcome. Bluey grey greasy substance? That's a newy. Could well do it tho. How's your brake master cylinder? Sounds like brake fluid residue. Cheers.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X