X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rredbeak
    • May 2008

Center Diff Lock

Hi guys,got a NL with center diff lock,shows a orange light where your gearbox is...

Is this the proper diff locks?? or is it something else please ???

Rod
  • Alex86
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • Here and there

I presume this is the orange light in the dash, where you also have two sets of two green lights for the front and rear wheels respectively....

The centre diff lock, when selected, um, locks the centre diff ()
    Locking the centre diff basically just sends equal power to the front and rear axles constantly. so if traction is lost at the front or the back, the other is still getting drive to keep you going.

Don't use it on non-slip surfaces!
    '99 NL Escape, Manual - Bullbar, roofrack, cargo barrier, D697LT, Tough Dogs, dual batts, rear draws, Narva 225 HID, UHF, led bar etc
    Towing: 4.8m Savage Centurion half-cab w/75hp Mariner

'99 NL GLS SWB, Auto - Bullbar, D697LT, spotties, UHF, Koni adjustables & King springs.

Wanted: Adventure.

Comment

• rredbeak
      • May 2008

yes,it lights the dashboard with the 4 green wheels and the orange gearbox symbol in the middle..
      Ok i have a better understanding now TY

Comment

• rredbeak
        • May 2008

well,further to my center diff lock question.
        we were at Mitsubishi service this morning and i asked them the same question,the guy went and got the "Hi TECH" guy ,LOL,.His response was the center diff locks the front and rear wheel speed,NOTHING MORE. If you raise a wheel off the ground the vehicle STOPS .

NOW, weve got a completely Stock 98 NL exceed GLS. theres been twice that weve followed our mate through some medium rough stuff.HE said the front wheel was 12" clear of the ground but we still continued to crawl our way through unimpeded...

We DONT have the optional rear diff lock..

Back to my original Question,is the Center Diff Lock the same as "diff Locks" aftermarket or not...???

Comment

I will have a go here, because you have the option to drive around in constant 4wd on the tar and front, rear, left and right wheels all travel slightly different distances because of turning corners ect something has to be able to 'slip' and that thing is the center diff. Now when on a loose surface like dirt where the wheels have the ability to slip to offset the different distances, you can lock the diff so the drive will go to both ends no matter what happens with wheels. As said above you will still have drive at the back if both front wheels where in the air. it is not like a 'locked diff' where you can have one wheel in the air and the other wheel still driving.

hope that makes some sense!! LOL

Comment

• nj swb
            Resident
            • Jun 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by rredbeak View Post
            the guy went and got the "Hi TECH" guy ,LOL,.His response was the center diff locks the front and rear wheel speed,NOTHING MORE. If you raise a wheel off the ground the vehicle STOPS.
            "Hi TECH" guy is wrong.

In 4H ("full time 4wd", with the centre diff unlocked) one wheel off the ground can stop the vehicle.

In 4HLc (or 4LLc, with the centre diff locked) your Paj is effectively the equivalent of a "part time 4wd" in 4wd mode - both diffs are locked together, so you need to lose traction on both diffs before you lose drive.

With the centre diff locked, you cannot spin a wheel on one axle without one (or both) wheels on the other axle also spinning.

When the "professionals" get it so wrong, what hope does the average bloke have?
            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• rredbeak
              • May 2008

TY NJ,
              im a newby to these hi tech 4wd's. our last 4wd many years ago was a "GQ" nissan with the 3 speed box.

so,all these new terms really confuse me. BUt i can understand what you said.

And YES,i also laughed at the "Expert" when he told me that one wheel off the ground stops the vehicle. As stated earlier we had an instance where one of our front wheels was well clear of the ground and we NEVER lost traction or forward movement,so i may well have had it in Low Range which locks the center diff.so i knew he was wrong..

we bought Pajero to tow our van around OZ,its done that for us now twice without issue.I figured Pajero has won so many dakars it has to be THE choice.
              mine is a 98 and in the 1998 dakar Pajero took the first 4 places outright.and in the top 10 places outright Pajero had 6 places...
              awesome stuff.. Rod
              the other 4 places was 3 nissans and something else,not cruisers.

scroll to bottom of page for the top 10 outright...
              Last edited by rredbeak; 30-12-08, 10:41 PM.

Comment

• martin7
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2008
                • High Wycombe W.A.

as said the centre diff lock gives equal drive to front and rear diffs. add to this the quality of the factory rear LSD and they go further than most would be prepared to take them.
                95 NJ PAJERO 3.0LT V6, AUTO, MAN HUBS, ECB bullbar, WARN 9000lb WINCH, dual long range tanks (205lts), Airtec snorkel, K&N air filter, rotronics dual battery system, GME tx4400 uhf, rated recovery points on all 4 corners, GQ rear coils

Comment

• rredbeak
                  • May 2008

Im not an offroader in the true sense,we pull our van [only on bitumen] to a van park then use the paj for the rough road tourist spots.
                  these rough roads are basically corregations and LONG stretches of DEEP powderred sand.

these conditions have NEVER been an issue and with speed precautions its just a sunday drive for the most of it.

Climbing and then desending [jumpup] MT charlotte on the chambers pillar track was the only hill climb weve been faced with.and climbing mt charlotte from the south is much steeper,thats where we had a wheel in the air and still climbed the Mt. But i NOW know how it works...

Go the Paj

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X