• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • staljabro
    • May 2016
    • Queensland

Greetings from SE QLD...and a couple questions

Hi all,

I'm from the Gold Coast area and have recently bought myself an old NG. I'm super excited as I have never owned a 4wd before. It's got a TJM bullbar and ARB roofrack, and the previous owner gave me a jerry can holder and safari snorkel as well so I'm pretty keen.

The vehicle had a few rust holes in the panels, so I've been repairing them with fibreglass. My repairs are not pretty, but they should easily be enough to pass roadworthy.

Basically the only thing that concerns me is that the other day I had a good long look underneath and I found one rust hole in the chassis. This kinda scared me and i don't really know what to do about it.

I'm planning on getting the vehicle roadworthy and taking it to fraser in a couple months, and I was wondering what I need to look out for and what needs to be repaired. I have a click in my steering when I turn hard to the right and drive, so I'm going to need to find myself a new CV. Other than that there are a couple of minor leaks, I may need to do one of the axle seals, and get a tune up as it's running fairly rich.

Is there anything else? I don't want to miss stuff out and get stuck on fraser with a lemon.
    Project car: 1990 NG Superwagon LWB 3.0 V6 7seats. Bullbar, spotties, roofrack, but everything else stock
    EDIT: and have also discovered chassis rust... Going to be buying another one and using this as donor.

Daily driver: 1997 Toyota Paseo EL54 2D Coupe
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

I don't know for certain but would think a rust hole in chassis would not pass a RWC. I'd imagine you would need some with relevant qualification and experience to cust the section of chassis out and reweld new section in but than I would think you would need to have that checked by engineer.
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• staljabro
      • May 2016
      • Queensland

Strength issues

I'm not too concerned about the RWC, I'm more concerned about the overall strength of the vehicle. If there is rust in this spot could there be rust all through the inside of my chassis rails? As far as I can see this is the only spot, and it's around one of the drain holes, so I'm assuming the hole has gotten blocked at some point and left water sitting there. I can't see myself doing any hardcore 4wding in the near future, but more weekend trips and places like fraser. Will I need to get my chassis replaced or will a repair be fine (my dad is a boilermaker with qualifications in welding pressure pipe, so I can get him to do it)
      Project car: 1990 NG Superwagon LWB 3.0 V6 7seats. Bullbar, spotties, roofrack, but everything else stock
      EDIT: and have also discovered chassis rust... Going to be buying another one and using this as donor.

Daily driver: 1997 Toyota Paseo EL54 2D Coupe

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X