• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Silver Fish
    • Mar 2009
    • Adelaide

Robe to Beachport

We went to Robe in south east SA in the second week of January with the family for a week of rest relaxation fishing and 4wding. Had a ball the whole time. We hired a cabin in the Seavu caravan park which was about a 2 min walk into town and had a good enough cabin with a brilliant view.

view from the cabin in the caravan park over to Long Beach

We spent a day on Long Beach just swimming and messing around with the kids and had a nice BBQ tea. The sand on Long beach is hard and flat and there were heaps of cars but we managed to fine a little patch to ourselves. PS: Awning is on an angle to maximise shade.

Nice sunsets were the norm.

We did the track from Beachport to Robe and had a ball. (This is the second time I have done the trip but a first with the family.) We used the Wattle Rangers 4WD club notes which were awsome and a must have. We also got one of the packs from the visitor centre to get the Park Rangers notes but they said the ranger had been crook and the notes were about 3 weeks old. Not helpful. The sand was pretty soft on some beaches and often there was no way we were able to stop to admire the stunning scenery as i dont think we would have got going again. We were travelling alone and were reasonably comfortable as being peak time there were a fair few people around. However being the chicken I am we did have the maxtrax and an exhaust jack plus all the usual recovery gear. We did have a flag too, but plenty didnt.

We run BFGs with 75% tread left and i was lazy and tried 28psi for the first few km before finding a sand hill that i could not get over after 4 tries so had to go to 20psi and got over easy. Pressure is so important and along with keeping momentumyou really cant go wrong. For info we were 4Hlc all the way but coming off some of the beaches was a bit freaky with sand turning into rocks and dropoffs with out warning. All added to the fun!

However there were some great spots where we stopped.

Good to see the Crayfish boats keep coming in.

Overall an awsome place to relax and use the Paj in its home environment.
    Any questions and i would be happy to help.
    2005 NP Platinum DID, BFGs, TJM T15 Bullbar, IPF Spots, OME 2" lift, GME TX4200, Active tail lights, maxtrax, compressor, Cargo Barrier, TJM Bash plates, Rhino Racks, Rhino basket, ARB Awning, Storage Shelf, Door Table, Engel MR40F, dual battery, PowerTech Inverter, 81L long range tank.
  • green monster
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Adelaide

great report, good to see you had fun, Rope is an awesome place to visit, went there about a year ago, My sister was there 3 weeks ago and she got stuck on the beach with very little in the way of recovery stuff, cost her $110 to get some local guy out to help ,gold, i tried to warm them about that soft sand but,,,,,,,,,,
    The massive pristine sand dunes are incredible!!!
    Thanks for the pics
    cam
    NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax

Comment

• Pajero_Pete
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Adelaide Hills

Ah yes, love that part of the world SIlver !
      Great pics, specially the one with the little one relaxing in the chair under that shade !
      Classic,
      Beautiful.
      Cheers PP
      Great little Io then NL dual fuel then my first DiD NP followed by an NS DiD and now an NT RX DiD in the shed

Comment

• Rugrat
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Silver Fish View Post
        We used the Wattle Rangers 4WD club notes which were awsome and a must have. We also got one of the packs from the visitor centre to get the Park Rangers notes but they said the ranger had been crook and the notes were about 3 weeks old.
        These have to be the best guides of the area IMHO. I have a trip going over on the LWE and we'll be using them.
        The sand was pretty soft on some beaches and often there was no way we were able to stop to admire the stunning scenery as i dont think we would have got going again.
        Some of them get REAL soft - as you get further East the become more 'fun'. Port Mac to the border even has the lovely quicksand...
        However being the chicken I am we did have the maxtrax and an exhaust jack plus all the usual recovery gear. We did have a flag too, but plenty didnt.
        Wouldn't say a chicken - i'd say sensible and glad you had a flag - people who don't really are complete ****wits. So many of those ridges and bends are head-on material.
        Some lovely areas and yep - the pics (sorry) don't do it justice but rather just make me want to get back there.

Sand Driving for those who haven't is one awesome time - i haven't met anyone who hates sand driving - give it a go - but go prepared!!!!
        "Never Underestimate a childs ability to get into trouble "

Comment

• BigBloke65
          • Aug 2010
          • SA

Had a great trip much like Silver Fish's. Did some bits and pieces of the route because some sections were deemed too soft (by the ranger) and the wind had blown a dune in a such a way that you couldn't find a straight line up. The strong made the whole thing spectacular!
          Attached Files
          PB Challenger LS Auto 5 seat (White) / Bridgestone D694 AT's / Window Tint / Hayman Reece Towbar / Prodigy brake controller / Factory cargo barrier / DIY False floor / ARB Deluxe Bar / Rear view camera / UHF radio / roof mounted DVD 11 inch screen / Bushskinz protection plates complete set / Extra set of wheels Dueller H/T / OME front springs 0-50kg / OME back springs 0-50kg

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2010
            • Cairns

What a great part of SA. Looks like you had a ball!
            I'm heading down there in February for a weekend trip. If all goes to plan, I will be one out of 9 4wd's going! So hopefully recoveries should not be an issue....
            Which beaches / parks were you warned about being too soft?
            Cheers, Dan.
            2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• BigBloke65
              • Aug 2010
              • SA

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
              I'm heading down there in February for a weekend trip. If all goes to plan, I will be one out of 9 4wd's going! So hopefully recoveries should not be an issue....
              Cheers, Dan.
              Yeah you definetly need recovry gear. My maxtrax came in handy on top of a dune when the Challenger had it's belly on the crest!

I gave away the trek notes I bought at the Robe information centre ($1 with the Ranger's notes and the 4wd club map and waypoints) so I can't remember exactly but it was the first beach coming from Robe and the 1st or 2nd beach from Beachport. You can can always detour via the 4wd inland track and come back to the beach at a later point.

Have fun and be safe!
              PB Challenger LS Auto 5 seat (White) / Bridgestone D694 AT's / Window Tint / Hayman Reece Towbar / Prodigy brake controller / Factory cargo barrier / DIY False floor / ARB Deluxe Bar / Rear view camera / UHF radio / roof mounted DVD 11 inch screen / Bushskinz protection plates complete set / Extra set of wheels Dueller H/T / OME front springs 0-50kg / OME back springs 0-50kg

Comment

• Benduro
                • Oct 2007

BigBloke65,
                We are heading to Southend next week and are planning on doing some sand driving in Canunda and Beachport/Little Dip.
                Was impressed with the sand flag on your bar and was hoping you could give us some info (where to get one, price, how to attach).
                Also, what do you guys think about towing an offroad camper (850kg) from Carpenter's Rocks to Southend? Is it possible to use b-lines to avoid the beach/steep dunes? Will be 2 vehicles (one a Hilux w/o trailer). Havn't driven this section of the area before.
                Cheers.

Comment

• knakkers
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Hampton Park

Went there in Feb last yr......What a awesome place to visit
                  user774_pic923_1267710165_thumb[1].jpg

user774_pic924_1267710165_thumb[1].jpg

user774_pic925_1267710165_thumb[1].jpg

user774_pic933_1267712686[1].jpg
                  NJ LWB GLS with sunroof, 3.0, Dual fuel, custom built alloy bullbar, Hayman Reese tow bar, tinted windows

Comment

• Gus
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2008
                    • Traralgon. Vic

Great report & Pics Silver Fish..

Gus.
                    VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
                    NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• Rugrat
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Aussie_Dan View Post
                      Cheers, Dan.
                      Only issue i can see with towing is on Geltwood. some of that is 10psi or lower and 1st low.

stay off the beach proper in around Geltwood.....
                      "Never Underestimate a childs ability to get into trouble "

Comment

• Silver Fish
                        • Mar 2009
                        • Adelaide

Well it has taken us while but we are heading back to the South East of SA, this time next week we will be in Carnunda National Park doing the Carpenters Rocks to South End drive. So if you are down there on the weekend of the 8th April and see a Silver Fish (NP Platinum) make sure you stop and say GDay. Really looking forward to it and will need to add some pics to this topic and another trip report! till then........
                        2005 NP Platinum DID, BFGs, TJM T15 Bullbar, IPF Spots, OME 2" lift, GME TX4200, Active tail lights, maxtrax, compressor, Cargo Barrier, TJM Bash plates, Rhino Racks, Rhino basket, ARB Awning, Storage Shelf, Door Table, Engel MR40F, dual battery, PowerTech Inverter, 81L long range tank.

Comment

• activnt
                          • May 2010

just got back from 2 weeks in beachport. Did beachport to robe a few times, what a perfect part of the world!

Impressions of the Paj:
                          - continues to exceed expectations. Have stock HT tyres, full set of bashplates and sliders. The Paj made it feel like driving a normal sedan around the dunes and tricky bits
                          - went on trips with a friend in a 110 Defender - a respected, formidable 4WD. The Paj just seemed to do everything easier. He got stuck on a few twisty dunes and needed a few goes, whereas the Paj just walked up and over them in comfort and style, with the ipod playing and the airconditioning blowing cool breeze in 40 degree weather.
                          - did most of it in high 4wd but locked the centre half way just to be sure - that sand can get mighty soft!
                          - got bogged once, when following the defender too close to the water line and in very soft, very wet sand with tyres at 18psi. Was following too close to the 'fender, which almost got bogged, which caused me to lose momentum and get stuck. An old local in a shorty NM Paj pulled up and told me to drop to 10psi and use the maxtrax on my roof, and Paj just walked out like it was on bitumen. Kept tyres at 10psi for remainder of trip and never had a problem.
                          - hit a dune too hard in the buggy area (a section of very soft, very large sand dunes) which tore off part of the nudge bar and even put a curve in the bushskinz intercooler guard. Paj still made it up that dune first time though, and shows how tough the intercooler guard is. Second time it has saved my bacon, and I'm without doubt that the factory 'bashplate' would have done nothing but push itself into my intercooler and cause thousands of $ of damage. Thanks again Keiron!
                          - Even on the rocky sections where I watched the 'fender scrape its pumpkin, I had no worries as the sliders and plates took any hit with ease. Next upgrade is lift!

All up - Beachport is an amazing, amazing place with fantastic 4wd'ing. I was amazed to see the number of Mitsubishi's outnumbering the number of Toyota's or Nissans. It was Pajero and Triton country! All the locals seem to drive either older Pajeros or 80 series cruisers.

Don't be afraid to drop the stock HT tyres to 10psi in sand. For my 2cents maxtrax only works well when tyres are really, really soft. They didn't work too well at 20psi but were absolutely magic at 10psi. Make sure you get them square on to the wheels as possible, otherwise they will get flicked to the side and be useless when you put the power down.

Overall - trust your car, its an amazing, capable machine!
                          2010 Gold ACTiV NT: twin lockers, lift, lights, winch & other stuff

Comment

• CraigFox
                            • Jun 2010
                            • Happy Valley SA

I agree with others. It is a great place in SA to go and test your skills. We went there when the Paj was was still on stock Yoko rubber and standard suspension. We did bottom out and got stuck due to lack of ground clearance in ruts, but got pulled out by a friend.
                            Will go back now that the car has decent rubber and clearance and have a go at some of the large dunes!
                            SAND FLAG IS A MUST.
                            We nearly had a head on with a 80 series that came flying over a dune without a flag etc.
                            Foxy

2010 NT Did Auto ACTiV. MM Tow Bar. ARB Bar, 50mm Raised Suspension, BFG A/T's, Tinted Windows, Red Arc remote head brake controller, Uniden UHF, Airtec Snorkel, Rhino Pioneer Basket, 81litre Long Range Tank (finally!!)

Bushskinz under body still to come one day.

Comment

• Pujo
                              • Nov 2011
                              • South Oz

Originally posted by Benduro View Post
                              Also, what do you guys think about towing an offroad camper (850kg) from Carpenter's Rocks to Southend? Is it possible to use b-lines to avoid the beach/steep dunes? Will be 2 vehicles (one a Hilux w/o trailer). Havn't driven this section of the area before.
                              Cheers.
                              I wouldn't tow a trailer on the beaches down there.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X