• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • linc
    • Jan 2008
    • Perth

NP Paj - Reversing camera

I'm looking at setting up a reversing camera/screen on my NP GLX, but am getting a little bedazzled by the many options.

Bluetooth or hardwired?
    Reversing mirror screen or small LCD?
    Minimum camera specs? (night-time reversing fairly critical)
    Where to mount the camera?
    Where to mount the screen?

I almost went ahead the other day and bought an eBay setup with 120 degree infra-red camera, 7"LCD, wireless option...but chickened out because it looked like the LCD was a fraction too large for the empty spot in the top-centre of the dash, that if I mounted the camera near the top brake light then the spare wheel would create a blind-spot under the RH tyres (not good for my kids), and I also wasn't sure about the level of interference I'd get on the bluetooth wireless link.

Anyone with any suggestions?
    Pajero NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto DiD
    Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights
    Wishlist : ARB Deluxe bullbar
  • 72pug
    • Aug 2007
    • Brisbane

............Maybe send 'Wilmo' (from this forum..Gen 4) a message, he has some good info on the reversing cameras,

Hope this helps,

Pug.

Comment

• Wilmo
      • Jul 2007
      • Perth

Check out http://www.aussievan.com.au and all will be revealed. That's my NS in the pictures as I'm involved with the company.
      NS GLX DID Auto, MM alloy bar, Kings Springs 35mm Lift, Polyairs, Cooper ATR Tyres 265/70/17, Spider chip.

Comment

• roboz
        • Aug 2007
        • Secret Harbour, WA

We have a reversing camera, caravan camera and LCD screen fitted to our NP.

Don't go Bluetooth - I've yet to hear any good reports of that option.

We had a reversing mirror screen but soon discarded it - too much vibration, very poor as a normal rearvision mirror at night and very difficult to become accustomed to seeing 'through' the screen section for normal rearvision.

We now have a 7' LCD screen mounted above the rearvision mirror. It is fitted square (ie not angled towards the driver) so we can both see what is happening behind us - very useful when travelling with the 20' van.

The screen does intrude slightly into the top of the mirror - we are now quite used to it.

Car camera is fitted at the base of the rear door. Part of the spare wheel is in picture, but the coverage is adequate to determine if anyone is behind (especially small children). Caravan camera is fitted above the licence plate light - coverage is excellent.

Hope this helps.
        Attached Files
        Rob

2011 RX, Redarc Smartstart, dual batteries, Tow-Pro Elite, Garmin Nuvi 3590, Safety Dave caravan rear camera, HID high beam upgrade, Viofo A119 dashcam. Icom IC-450 UHF. Firestone HD Airbags. Tows a 2015 Jurgens Sungazer.

Previously, 2005 NP DiD Platinum, similar mods/additions, towed a 20' Paramount semi offroad caravan or Pioneer Longreach camper trailer.

Some pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3stBBS
        Dashcam Viewer example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIrjZTVdqM

Comment

• zacc
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007

i have my camera mounted in the bumper right behind the tow ball. this way i can get my van straight over the tow ball with out any hassle . the screen is small and sits in the dash on the left side of the steering wheel colum. ( there is a curved indentation in the dash and it sits there ) . all is hard wired and comes on automaticaly when put in reverse. it is colour aswell.the kit comes with a metal drill bit big enough to drill and fit the camera in. the kit cost about $100.00 plus postage . (GOTA LOVE EBAY)

Comment

• linc
            • Jan 2008
            • Perth

Thanks for your input guys. I was always a bit concerned about mounting the camera too low, distance perspective and all that...but i guess its better than having a blind spot induced by the spare!

Wilmo, you've got a guy in Wangara (Perth) stocking your gear, so I will probably pop up there on the weekend to check it all out.
            Bilstein shocks / Lovell 2" lifted HD springs / Polyair Bags, Cooper AT3 (265/70/17), Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel, Uniden CB radio with 3+6dB whip antennae, Garmin Nuvi 760, Ironman awning with strip lighting, Rhino Pioneer tray, 42" lightbar, 135Ahr AGM dual batt system, 300W Solar panels, 4" rear work-lights

Comment

• simoncurly
              • Jul 2007
              • Adelaide SA

I have just replaced the oem cd player in my NP GLX with a DVD player (with reversing camera input). Had a wired reversing camera fitted to the dust deflector at the top of the rear window. View is quite good and there is enough light from the car lights at night for the camera to function ok. As previously noted the spare wheel does block the view of the towbar when mounted in this location.

I like the foldaway nature of the DVD screen ...saves cluttering up the car with another screen.

The DVD and the screen were both Pioneer.

Comment

• linc
                • Jan 2008
                • Perth

Yeah I saw an Alpine version of the same thing the other day - looked great, but I think all up it was around $1400 installed. Be nice, but I think even a slightly cheaper one would still be out of my current budget.

However I do need to upgrade the factory fitted CD player to DVD mp3. So yesterday......

Comment

screen installation above the rearview mirror, how?

Hi Roboz,

How did you install the screen above the rearview mirror (but just below the centre overhead lights? I am thinking of installing the screen there but haven't had chance to check further. Did you use a bracket bolted to existing screw holes reachable from the lights? Or did you drill new holes there?

Your info sharing would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Comment

• roboz
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Secret Harbour, WA

New holes - auto sparky did it for me because I was bit nervous about fiddling around up there. The screen came with an excellent bracket that attached to the back of the screen, so there was no need for any bracket/lock nuts on the side. The sparky was good enough to ensure that I was happy with the arrangement before drilling. The power/video lead is just tucked in to the roof lining. If I decide to take the system out when I come to change the vehicle, there will be two small holes that should be easily covered with inserts.
                    Rob

2011 RX, Redarc Smartstart, dual batteries, Tow-Pro Elite, Garmin Nuvi 3590, Safety Dave caravan rear camera, HID high beam upgrade, Viofo A119 dashcam. Icom IC-450 UHF. Firestone HD Airbags. Tows a 2015 Jurgens Sungazer.

Previously, 2005 NP DiD Platinum, similar mods/additions, towed a 20' Paramount semi offroad caravan or Pioneer Longreach camper trailer.

Some pics: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm3stBBS
                    Dashcam Viewer example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIrjZTVdqM

Comment

• peterdeg
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • NW Sydney

My camera's mounted inside the rear door.
                      The spare does create a bit of a blind spot - but what I can see with it is infinately better than what's visible othewise.

I wouldn't do it this way again because of the night-vision. The infra-red illumination reflects off the inside of the glass and washes out the view. When I get some time and $$ I'm going to try mounting an external IR floodlight

Here's some photos I put up on the old forum at the time.
                      That setup was replaced with a Waeco one after multiple failures.

The last picture is of a cable I laid out on the ground showing the blind area (can't see the area between the cable and the car) For scale, that's a 1m ruler. Visibility is actually better than indicated as the cable's on the flat and the car's on a slope.

| I find I now use the camera/screen in preference to the rear-view mirror.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by peterdeg; 23-01-08, 08:26 AM.
                      Peter
                      2018 QE Pajero Sport Exceed.

4WD History: 2011 MN Triton GLX-R. 2004 NP GLS DiD. 2002 Freelander Td4. 1996 Subaru DL. Learnt in a 1980 Ford F100.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X