• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tubsie
    • Aug 2011
    • maitland

where to start with the flashing lights

2001 nm pajero 3.5 petrol ,,,,,flashing 4x4 lights,,,, I have searched and read all the posts about this problem with the pajero's ,,,so where is the best spot to start ,,,,,,mine is only sometimes showing flashing 4x4 lights when in 2x4 then sometimes after driving for a while they go out and the orange diff light starts flashing ,,,then sometimes it stops tooo oh what a disco ....any help thanks!!!!!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Old one -- 92 NH GLS 3.5 that took us around oz
    New one --01 NM GLS 3.5 with ARB bar that wants to go around oz
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

Well, there isnt much more to say that hasn't already ben said in this thread:

2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• 4ePikanini
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2009
      • South Africa, East London

check my site for troubleshooters

1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
      2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
      2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
      2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• Alymar
        • Nov 2010
        • Sunnybank Hills

NM Transfer switches

Originally posted by tubsie View Post
        2001 nm pajero 3.5 petrol ,,,,,flashing 4x4 lights,,,, I have searched and read all the posts about this problem with the pajero's ,,,so where is the best spot to start ,,,,,,mine is only sometimes showing flashing 4x4 lights when in 2x4 then sometimes after driving for a while they go out and the orange diff light starts flashing ,,,then sometimes it stops tooo oh what a disco ....any help thanks!!!!!
        Best place to start is testing each switch on the transfer case for open circuit, once you find the faulty switch, remove it and replace it. I've got a drawing (somewhere) that I made for MM Dealers to access the switches without removing the transfer case, it also gives instructions on removal of switches and identifies each switch and part number. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll try to get a copy to you if you like.

Marcus
        NM GLX 3.5lt V6, Lovells 2" HD, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, LPG.....

Comment

• tubsie
          • Aug 2011
          • maitland

Thanks to you all for the info ,,,,,started by spraying all electrical connections that i could find with WD 40 , while doing this every time that i've driven the car i have been putting it in and out of 4 wheel drive to try and get things moving ,,,,,,,this seems to have done some good because the lights have started working correctly just the way they should.. I will keep you updated if things change but all good for now ,,,once again thanks for the reply's,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,tubsie
          Old one -- 92 NH GLS 3.5 that took us around oz
          New one --01 NM GLS 3.5 with ARB bar that wants to go around oz

Comment

• Alymar
            • Nov 2010
            • Sunnybank Hills

Transfer Switches - Testing

Due to popular demand, and that some requests forgot an e-mail address to reply to, I think it will be easier to post the drawing I made for removing/testing/replacing the transfer case 4WD switches.
            To all who suffer from the dreaded flashing lights, I do hope this information is of some help, it helped me locate and fix my own NM as well as many customer's vehicles as well when I worked for MM. This procedure can be performed without raising the vehicle off the ground, you'll only need a jack to lower and raise the transfer assy from it's rear cross-member mount position.
            Good luck!

Marcus
            Attached Files
            NM GLX 3.5lt V6, Lovells 2" HD, 285/75/16 BFG KM2's, LPG.....

Comment

• bluepaj
              • Aug 2011
              • MNC, NSW

Originally posted by Alymar View Post
              Due to popular demand, and that some requests forgot an e-mail address to reply to, I think it will be easier to post the drawing I made for removing/testing/replacing the transfer case 4WD switches.
              Marcus
              Thanks for putting in the effort, great resource and in my archives for future reference. My centre diff light flashes if I attempt to engage a gear whilst the system is doing checks and drive off. I simply just turn the car off and give it a few sec's to think about it then engage gear. Worked this out in the pre-purchase test drive when I stalled the car feeling for the clutch engagement points and clutch wear. Thanks again and well done.

Comment

• SteveP2
                • Jun 2010
                • Eltham, Victoria

Thanks for posting the drawing Marcus.

Comment

• BrisVegas
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • Townsville, QLD

Mine now has the dreaded orange flashing light when I try to engage 4wd. After working a treat at Easter up at Rainbow Beach, mine started flashing last time it rained and I wanted to put it in 4H for a bit more traction. I've tried working it back and forth through the modes, but with no success. In 2H, the two green RWD lights are on as expected.

Looks as though the first thing to try is to spray some WD40 about the place and check the integrity of the switches.

If that does no good, I'll be back looking for more advice. I've printed out Alymars instructions for replacing the switches, but am a little nervous about breaking the car altogether.
                  'Shrek' 2002 NM GLS 2.8TD manual. ARB bar. HD King springs & Bilsteins. Bridgestone D674LT. Milford Cargo Barrier. Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards. Exedy solid flywheel. 25mm core radiator. 2.5" exhaust. Airtec snorkel. Engel MT45, Projecta 150A isolator, 120A AGM battery in 3rd row. ARB bar, Fyrlyts & 30" LED lightbar Pics + 2015 Isuzu MU-X with all the fruit.

Comment

• 4ePikanini
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • South Africa, East London

Originally posted by BrisVegas View Post
                    Mine now has the dreaded orange flashing light when I try to engage 4wd. After working a treat at Easter up at Rainbow Beach, mine started flashing last time it rained and I wanted to put it in 4H for a bit more traction. I've tried working it back and forth through the modes, but with no success. In 2H, the two green RWD lights are on as expected.

Looks as though the first thing to try is to spray some WD40 about the place and check the integrity of the switches.

If that does no good, I'll be back looking for more advice. I've printed out Alymars instructions for replacing the switches, but am a little nervous about breaking the car altogether.
                    That sounds like a vacuum solenoid. Check the solenoid on the right hand fender inside the engine bay. There are 2 of them.

One sends vacuum to the front diff actuator to release the front right sideshaft from the diff - 2H

the other sends vacuum to the front diff actuator to engage the right side shaft to the front diff - 4H (I suspect this one is faulty in your case)
                    1993 3.0 V6 Pajero - SOLD
                    2001 3.2 Di-D Pajero - SOLD
                    2005 Touareg R5 2.5 TDi - SOLD
                    2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D

Comment

• BrisVegas
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • Townsville, QLD

Originally posted by 4ePikanini View Post
                      That sounds like a vacuum solenoid. Check the solenoid on the right hand fender inside the engine bay. There are 2 of them.

One sends vacuum to the front diff actuator to release the front right sideshaft from the diff - 2H

the other sends vacuum to the front diff actuator to engage the right side shaft to the front diff - 4H (I suspect this one is faulty in your case)
                      Thanks mate. I'll check it out when I get some time/money. Thankfully it still runs along ok in 2H, so my wife can get to work in it.
                      'Shrek' 2002 NM GLS 2.8TD manual. ARB bar. HD King springs & Bilsteins. Bridgestone D674LT. Milford Cargo Barrier. Bushskinz intercooler & sump guards. Exedy solid flywheel. 25mm core radiator. 2.5" exhaust. Airtec snorkel. Engel MT45, Projecta 150A isolator, 120A AGM battery in 3rd row. ARB bar, Fyrlyts & 30" LED lightbar Pics + 2015 Isuzu MU-X with all the fruit.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X