• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steve3500
    • Aug 2008
    • Melton

Low fuel light test!!

Hi All,
    Anyone wanting to know how to test if there low fuel light is working.
    Pull the carpet up from rear, u will see a cover plate in the centre of the floor.
    Unscrew the bolts, take the cover plate out and this will expose the fuel tank and fuel sender unit.
    Disconnect the sender plug, when you look at the bottom of the plug you will see three pins (two next to each other and one below) touch the bottom pin with a small piece of wire, then just earth it out on the car and this will light the low petrol light up. Make sure you have your key turned on in the ignition.
    I don't know if all models are the same but I have a NH so it should work on all the models in the 90's.
    Regards, Steve.
    There's Gold in them there hills
  • Lambie
    • Jul 2007
    • Victoria, Gippsland near Sale

G'day Steve - haven't tried that one - perhaps I could give it a go - the other way is ........... do like the rest of us do just fill it up at each pay day - the fuel light usually comes on a few days before. LOL
    Lambie
    NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

Comment

• steve3500
      • Aug 2008
      • Melton

Lambie,
      I understand what your saying mate!! But lets face it, we have all pushed the fuel gauge to it limits at one time or another.
      I read a few posts back where someone was asking about there fuel light, I think it is an easier option then driving around with a jerry can until your petrol runs out. It just gives you peace of mind.
      Regards, Steve.

Comment

• swordfishBob
        • May 2008

I'd been wondering whether the guage and light are a direct electrical indication, or go through the computer and get "calibrated" to normal use/fill patterns.
        From Lambie's comment, it would appear the latter, unless he uses a neat tankful each pay period.

Comment

• steve3500
          • Aug 2008
          • Melton

Hi Bob,
          I would say that the low fuel light is connected to the float and when the level sinks it touches the bottom, then earth's to turn the light on.
          This is why as it gets close the light comes on and off a few times as the fuel is splashing around the tank at the low level.
          Steve.

Comment

• moe323
            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by steve3500 View Post
            Lambie,
            I understand what your saying mate!! But lets face it, we have all pushed the fuel gauge to it limits at one time or another.
            I read a few posts back where someone was asking about there fuel light, I think it is an easier option then driving around with a jerry can until your petrol runs out. It just gives you peace of mind.
            Regards, Steve.
            driving around until your fuel runs out leaves your fuel pump dry and as far as i know the fuel is what keeps the fuel pump lubricated so running your tank dry runs the fuel pump dry and in most cases you will find with in a few months your fuel pump will kick the bucket. just my thoughts on it.

Comment

• Matumbi
              • Apr 2008
              • Darwin

driving around until your fuel runs out leaves your fuel pump dry and as far as i know the fuel is what keeps the fuel pump lubricated so running your tank dry runs the fuel pump dry and in most cases you will find with in a few months your fuel pump will kick the bucket. just my thoughts on it.
              I have an '05 Diesel and last year when up at Mt Hotham, the fuel 'froze'. After glowing a few times the engine started but that didn't help further down the line. The injector pump ran dry as everything behind it was frozen and "poof" bye bye injector pump.

$5000 later I was told it was a bad idea to run out of fuel in these.

I did have a tank of alpine diesel, but that didn't make a difference that weekend. Even the RACV truck didn't start and that was at the bottom of the mountain in a garage with alpine diesel.

To get back to the original post, Any method of testing the light without running out of fuel is definately worth it. I know my fuel consumption really well now and can usually guess when the light comes on within about 50k's of normal driving. I have pushed my car and got 90k's with the fuel light on in the VIC high country, but after my 'incident' at Mt Hotham, I wont go that close ever again.
              Matumbi
              1st Pajero: '96 NJ GLX 2.8 TD
              Current Pajero: '05 NP GLX 3.2 DiD

Comment

• jimako
                • Jul 2007
                • Hoppers Crossing VIC

Ive removed the fuel sender from the NH petrol for inspection, there is some kind of Sensor on the float arm that when fuel goes down this sensor is out of the fuel and dry which activates the low fuel light, however it was out of the fuel for some time before light come on.
                2013 MY13 VRX

Comment

• swordfishBob
                  • May 2008

Not sure about the light - someone said it's a direct electrical operation. I do now know the gauge goes through a small computer on the back of the instrument cluster, as does the temperature gauge. Both are "damped" in software, to different degrees - the fuel gauge moves very slowly (except when first turning on).

Comment

• MickSA
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Southern Suburbs of Adelaide S.A

My low fuel light is working - It came on today lol - apparantly there is about 13 litres left when it comes on.
                    Cheers Mick 2012 NW GLX MANUAL

Comment

• sharkcaver
                      "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                      • May 2009
                      • Perth

Hiya Mick. I had mine come on, drove about 20K's and fueled up. Somehow I then put 85L into it. I thought I got done by a dodgy country servo but I've just clocked 500K's since and the fuel gauge has just hit the half mark.

S/C
                      MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Lambie
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Victoria, Gippsland near Sale

To chip back in you'll notice my post had a LOL at the end...............

I know from fill up to fill up what my fuel consumption has been (in litres) and I also note what sort of driving I was doing on that tank. that said I can do fuel budgets for a tank on Hwy, offroad, towing the boat or towing the camper off road - only comes from good records - and isnt reliable if for some reason the consumption figure is different to normal. Soo - yes I do occasionally run the tank down until the fuel light comes on (being mindful of the distance I should get based on records) and then check the litres neede to fill it back up again.

This approach is no good for someone that has just bought a Paj !! - so carry a jerry for the first few "fuel light" attemps!!
                        Cheers, lambie
                        NJ 1996 ITD GLX (poverty pack) with a couple of extras, ARB bar, dual batteries plus redarc, Glind shower, some roo spotties, running 235 85 R16 AT's for the road and MT's for the tracks, tweeked torsion bars, Free wheeling front hubs, Poly airs and prodegy electric brakes for the camper, GME radio thingy, Long range tank, cargo barrier, have I really spent all this on my bus??

Comment

• peejay68au
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2007
                          • nsw

I once was right down on the gauge well into the red, I filled up and put 88 or 89 lts in. So I got very close to walking that day.
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Phil
                            Valued Member
                            • Aug 2008
                            • Sydney

Originally posted by MickSA View Post
                            My low fuel light is working - It came on today lol - apparantly there is about 13 litres left when it comes on.
                            I say thats around the mark Mick.
                            My 05 DiD fuel light came on a few days ago, did about 30/40 km's with it on.
                            Put 76L in a 90L tank. Probably turned on with 15L left.
                            MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

In my shorty, before the bigger tank, I got less than 40km from light on to engine stopped. Managed to re-start & got to the top of the hill, and there was a servo on the other side - put 82 litres into a "75 litre" tank.

Years later, fuel pump still going strong.
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X