• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blagle
    • Mar 2010
    • canberra

Map sensor replaced on NS

Hi,

My NS has had the ASC light and engine lights coming on and off for a few weeks. The car also had a distinct lack of power. I finally got into the dealer and the mechanic said the inlet manifold was probably clogged with soot and they would check it out.

After searching the forum I see that there seems to be a problem with the manifold on the NS and they have been replacing them with the NT manifold. Anyway I got the car back and all they did was replace the map sensor. They said that the manifold wasn't sooted up. Does anyone know if I'm likely to have the same issues down the track? The car is out of warranty in about 2 months (has about 126,000kms on it) so I don't really want to be stuck with forking out thousands of dollars getting the manifold replaced later if it should be fixed now. Is changing the map sensor just a quick fix to make me go away for a few months until the warranty is out?

Interestingly, when booking the car in I actually overheard the mechanic talking to his colleague and he said "haven't we done a manifold on this car already". Obviously they know about the manifold issue on the NS and have done a few in their workshop already.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who has had this issue and can offer some advice.

Cheers
  • Pajero_Pete
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Adelaide Hills

Hey Blagle,
    Just had my NS in this week for a 120K service,
    Car was quite sluggish and becoming quite heavy on the juice which I simply put down to the boat, camper or trailer on behind.
    When I picked up the car the MM service dept said they had replaced an intake manifold ( ?? ) , also when servicing the AC they have sheered off a bolt which needs replacing.
    The Account was not ready ( He mentioned some warranty issue ) .
    By the looks this is definately a warranty item.
    No mention of the map sensor ?
    Will let you know.
    cheers PP
    Great little Io then NL dual fuel then my first DiD NP followed by an NS DiD and now an NT RX DiD in the shed

Comment

• Esteban
      • Jul 2007
      • Sydney NSW

NS Inlet Manifold

Hi Blagle,

My vehicle a year or so ago was setting the Engine check Light off every now and then with a P0299 code (Turbo Under Boost). The MAP sensor and inlet manifold were replaced under warrant. The NT inlet manifold now fitted has the sensor feed from top of the manifold rather than the bottom of the manifold as is the case of the standard NS. Being at the bottom the soot just fills the sensor feed and eventually blocks it, some soot is even fed to the MAP sensor itself. The slugish performance could be the vehicle in "limp Home Mode" which the vehicle normally goes into when the Engine Check Light is on.
      2007 NS SWB Pajero R DID, Rear Locker, BFG 265/70/17 T/A KO's, Towbar, B&D Bashplates, LRA AUX Fuel Tank, Lovells/Bilstein 50mm lift,
      Dual Battery, ORS Fridge Pack 1,Fully Dynamatted, Bushskinz Sliders,ARB Deluxe Bar,Safari Snorkel, Chipit module, EGT Kit, DPF Delete, DPF SIM, Winch,Torque Converter Lockup, EGR fully sorted

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100

Comment

• blagle
        • Mar 2010
        • canberra

Hi PP/Esteban,

Sounds like I need to pursue this further as the sensor will probably clog up again. My bet is if the car hadn't been under warranty they would have advised me to get a new manifold.

I know I'm being a bit cynical but my experience with this vehicle has been far from goodrecently. Had the dual mass flywheel and clutch replaced only a month ago (under warranty) and now this has come up. Seems everything is falling apart at the moment!

Glenn

Comment

• dolphin
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2008

sounds unusual to have the MAF replaced so early in life , say if the internals were sooted up why wasn,t it just cleaned up and put back on.
          i would be going back soon and complain about the inlet manifold needs replacing as the engine is starting to run rough again.
          NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• Jords
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2011
            • Kellyville Ridge

What does the inlet manifold look like and is there any way of telling if its been done. Just got mine and its out of warranty and done 180000klms
            2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)

Comment

• blagle
              • Mar 2010
              • canberra

Jords,

From what I have read the NT inlet manifold should have a little black rubber hose coming out of it about midway heading towards the direction of the battery. The hose should connect to the map sensor near the fuel filter. Maybe someone could post a picture for you.

Glenn

Comment

• fisherjez
                • Jul 2010
                • Townsville

My car is due to go in on Thursday to have the inlet manifold replaced under warranty. This is being done after I repeatedly requested it from my dealer for preventative reasons (as it has not appeared to have shown any definite problems), but chances are that it will eventually. It took some convincing for them to do it and several weeks waiting for the part???, but its being done. Hopefully will notice a change in performance.
                Cheers

Jeremy

NS VRX manual, diesel, wife and 4 kids (non-standard additions).

Comment

• jcd
                  • Jan 2008
                  • Gold Coast

The MAP sensor on my NS died a bit over a year ago in Alice Springs after 90,000 kms. It was replaced and I've done about 30,000 km since with no problems.

Bye Jeff.
                  NS Pajero SWB R, Diesel, Automatic, BFG AT/KO's, AirTech Snorkel, LRA Auxillary Tank, Dual Batteries, Thule Aerobars & Roof Box.

Comment

• JoshF
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Brisbane

Mine played up on a recent trip, replaced under warranty today.

Lucky for me they had the replacement upper manifold in stock so got the car back in a day.

Failed horn parts are also on order (I suspect corrugations are at fault but you never know)
                    NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                    Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Axis
                      Valued Member
                      • Jul 2011
                      • Highett Vic

Would love to see a pic. Our NS is out of warranty (135,000km) and I'd like to check.

Jords, did you work out if yours has been replaced?
                      07 NS DiD GLX Manual, Alloy Bullbar, 2" lift, Bilstein shocks, King Springs, Kumho MT51, Oricom UHF088, Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Airtec Snorkel, Bushskinz Intercooler Guard, Boo's Sump and Tansmission Bash Plates

Comment

• Jords
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2011
                        • Kellyville Ridge

Not yet mate no ones put up a pic yet for me to compare.
                        2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)

Comment

• Esteban
                          • Jul 2007
                          • Sydney NSW

NS Inlet Manifold Replacement

Thought this picture from my vehicle maybe of interest as it shows the new NT inlet manifold as fitted to the NS and where the new position is for the MAP sensor inlet. (red circled area).
                          Attached Files
                          2007 NS SWB Pajero R DID, Rear Locker, BFG 265/70/17 T/A KO's, Towbar, B&D Bashplates, LRA AUX Fuel Tank, Lovells/Bilstein 50mm lift,
                          Dual Battery, ORS Fridge Pack 1,Fully Dynamatted, Bushskinz Sliders,ARB Deluxe Bar,Safari Snorkel, Chipit module, EGT Kit, DPF Delete, DPF SIM, Winch,Torque Converter Lockup, EGR fully sorted

2006 Landcruiser HDJ100

Comment

• Jords
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2011
                            • Kellyville Ridge

Yep well that pic confirms it mine has not been done! And I dont think I will get anything out of MM as the car has done too many klms Will probably just have to get mine cleaned out then blank the erg off to stop it sooting up again.

Comment

• Patagonia
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2009
                              • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Ups had not seen this post and my guarantee expired 1.500 km ago mine is also the old one:
                              There isn´t a recall campaign for this in Australia?
                              2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
                              Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
                              31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
                              2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X