• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 02-SR5
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • Toowoomba

How do you replace the serpentine belt?

Looking at the front of the engine, I cannot identify any adjustment to release the belt for replacement.

It is not due, but I want to have a spare for that just in case moment. I would rather find out now and not later when it is to late.
    MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.
  • DaveXT
    • Mar 2010
    • Melbourne Outer East

There should be a spring loaded idler pulley, you simply put a suitable socket and a long bar. Haven't really looked at mine but you may need 3 hands!

Comment

• dimmo
      • Mar 2011
      • Radelaide

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post
      Looking at the front of the engine, I cannot identify any adjustment to release the belt for replacement.

It is not due, but I want to have a spare for that just in case moment. I would rather find out now and not later when it is to late.
      not sure if these pics are any help. There's a lot more info in the manual.
      hi-res versions of these pics are available too if you want.
      Attached Files

Comment

• 900canoes
        Valued Member
        • May 2008
        • FNQ

Originally posted by 02-SR5 View Post

As Dave wrote; Put a socket on the bolt in the tensioner pulley and turn it clockwise (tighten) direction. This will overcome the tensioner spring and move the pulley away from the belt (nothing to undo). There is a hole where you can insert an allen key that acts as a holding tool, so you can take your socket out of the way while you free up your other three hands to remove the belt.

If you dont have the workshop manual I can put a pic up for you.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by 900canoes; 23-06-13, 09:23 AM.
        2010 (MY11) PB LS Manual. 2017 LS-U DMax spacecab.

Comment

• Lakey
          • Apr 2012
          • Brisbane

So just looking at replacing the serpentine belt and A/C v-belt. Just looking at the tension figures. Serpentine belt has the auto tensioner so it's not such an issue unless the tensioner isn't working. V-belt on previous cars I've always just given it a bit of a push in with a finger to see if it was loose or not.

The manual for this thing however talks about using tension gauges, or measuring deflection or a sonic screwdriver (okay it's actually a belt tension meter). The deflection method requires a 100N pressure to measure the deflection. I'm assuming this would be using a 'belt tension gauge' such as Daytona DTENCM Universal Cam Belt Tension Gauge (sydneytools.com.au)​. Issue is the figures quoted for the deflection at 100N (Newtons) seems to be way outside the range of anything else I've seen on line.

Anyone else actually used one of these devices. The gauge looks similar to the 'Tension Gauge' that Mitsubishi have in the manual for the other method but it has values in N again way outside anything quoted elsewhere, I'm assuming that the type of gauge Mitsu talk of is different to that used to measure deflection.

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

Cheers
          G
          Cheers
          Lakey

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011
            • Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi Lakey,

100N is only 10kg force and this can easily be applied by hand/thumb. If you get a bathroom scale and push down with your thumb then you can get a feel for how much 10kg of force feels like.
            For an AC belt it is better to be slightly under the correct tension than over the tension.

Specification is 7mm to 8mm deflection with 100N of force applied on the belt, midway between the compressor and tensioner pulleys.

OJ.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
            MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Lakey
              • Apr 2012
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              Hi Lakey,

100N is only 10kg force and this can easily be applied by hand/thumb. If you get a bathroom scale and push down with your thumb then you can get a feel for how much 10kg of force feels like.
              For an AC belt it is better to be slightly under the correct tension than over the tension.

Specification is 7mm to 8mm deflection with 100N of force applied on the belt, midway between the compressor and tensioner pulleys.

OJ.
              Thanks OJ, hoped you'd come through again! 10kg is much more familiar and I can check that with a spring balance if I don't trust my thumb.

Cheers
              G
              Cheers
              Lakey

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Comment

• itsamitsi
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2015
                • Hervey Bay Queensland

When a timing belt gets done do the serpentines while you're there. Have to take them off anyway. They last way longer than that so no need to carry a spare. Main belt is auto adjusting so no need for anything there, A/C tighten it up so there is a little deflection on a new belt as they strech anyway. Used belt stick to a little more deflection as it won't reaaly stretch further.
                Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• Kingbrown
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Port Augusta - SA

Whilst remembering to have the aircon idler pulley's axial mounting bolt LOOSE when playing with the adjustment bolt.
                  Only tighten the mounting bolt after adjustment has been completed.

Mitsubishi talk of marking the direction of belts and installing them in the original orientation if they are to be reused. Obviously a belt will work in either direction but there must be a good reason for Mitsubishi to specifically mention this.
                  2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                    Whilst remembering to have the aircon idler pulley's axial mounting bolt LOOSE when playing with the adjustment bolt.
                    Only tighten the mounting bolt after adjustment has been completed.

Mitsubishi talk of marking the direction of belts and installing them in the original orientation if they are to be reused. Obviously a belt will work in either direction but there must be a good reason for Mitsubishi to specifically mention this.
                    All belts be they timing, serpentine and even V belts should be run the the direction of rotation as marked on the belt when new, but once fitted, if then removed, they should be refitted so they rotate in the direction that they have been running in, even if it is incorrect!

Can you fit the timing belt and the multi-ribbed belt the wrong way around? In other words: do these belts have a direction of rotation? Read on to find out!

OJ.
                    2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• itsamitsi
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2015
                      • Hervey Bay Queensland

Originally posted by Kingbrown View Post
                      Mitsubishi talk of marking the direction of belts and installing them in the original orientation if they are to be reused.
                      I have seen Toyota and general mechanics do this so there must be something in it...

Paul 2015 PC Challenger LS Auto - 2" Ultimate lift, Duraturn 265/70/17 A/Ts , catch can and resistor mod, Custom MCC Bullbar ,12000lb winch , Dual batteries ,Boo's Bash plates ,E-Drive throttle controller,Auto Mate, In car entertainment and more.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by itsamitsi View Post

I have seen Toyota and general mechanics do this so there must be something in it...
                        It is called good engineering practice, unfortunately it is like common sense, not much of it around now days.
                        Now days it is all about the speed at which a job can be done and the amount of shortcuts you can take, but quite often at the expense of doing the job correctly.

OJ.

Comment

• Lakey
                          • Apr 2012
                          • Brisbane

Thanks guys, lots of good points there!
                          Cheers
                          Lakey

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X