• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richo-NT
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Brisbane

NS/NT Exhaust

Hi everyone, I know this has been covered before but I have done some searches and couldn't come up with anyone who has done an exhaust upgrade on a PDF equiped DiD Pajero. Has anyone found what the story is?

I was looking at my exhaust and I can't work out exactly what the PDF filter is?? The exhaust comes down from the turbo, switches over from the drivers side to the passenger side of the car then goes ito what looks like a catalytic converter, then there is a small bit of pipe before going into a look cylinder which I thought may have been the PDF but there are no wires or anything attached to it, then it goes into a small muffler, then over the rear axle then into another small muffler then exit. It all looks pretty straight forward to replace and I figure if that cylinder is the PDF then how would the electronics not know that it removed considering there is no wiring to it? Or could you leave it on and still get some good flow anyway considering on the NT the PDF is a high flow design??

Pretty keen to do this mod to my car...
    2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold
  • apsilon
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2008
    • Hills District NSW

I'm of the belief that that cylinder things is the DPF. All the ones I've seen look similar though I admit I've never looked for any sensors etc.

As to my exhaust I'm thinking what ever the current pipe size is (2.5") as it's a decent size and I'm only planing on doing from the DPF back currently. As to muffler it'll have to be whatever will fit as the aux fuel tank takes up a lot of room. This'll probably mean a canon of some kind. Hope it sounds OK as they typically sound like shite on the cars they're usually fitted to. Turo will at least help keep it quiet regardless of being as straight through as possible.
    MY09 NT Pajero X shortie diesel
    Mods - No longer fit in my sig so see here

Comment

• Richo-NT
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2009
      • Brisbane

apsilon - I have heard of people just going a straight through pipe with just a hotdog (resonator) which is a lot smaller then a cannon, and the car is still usually quiet.

Comment

• Angry
        Valued Member
        • May 2009
        • Riverina

What size is the standard NS exhaust pipe ???. 2.5 or 2.75"

Does a larger size say 3.0" make any difference??.

Being involved in turbo petrol engines & race cars I just cant believe the (substandard) size of the standard Intercooler.

Surley the engine would benefit for a larger intercooler, without having chip/tuneup issues.

Has anyone fitted a larger exhaust (on a DPF) car ? or a larger intercooler ??
        Angry.

My Photo site.
        AAA-Photography.smugmug.com

07 NS VRX, DID Auto, Nudge Bar, 130W 215 Nitghtstalkers, 50w HID H/Beams, Kenwood Touchscreen Natsav/DVD/CD/Rev camera, Rear Alpine DVD Player, Recaro Orthopedic drivers seat, DIY Spare Wheel Lift.

Comment

• apsilon
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2008
          • Hills District NSW

Hotdog might be an option but they're usually fairly long aren't they? I'm not sure I could fit one. Other than freeing up the flow I want to keep the noise well below the legal limit but more importantly I don't want it to drone on the highway.

The IC is fairly typical size for OEM. Larger IC couldn't hurt and might be something I do in the future. Not sure of the standard exahust size. I was guessing 2.5 but it could be 2.75 3" I think would be fine on a turbo 3.2 but unless you're going to do from the turbo right through there's not much point and at this stage I'm not willing to remove the DPF.

Comment

• CeeJay
            Valued Member
            • Sep 2008
            • Samford, QLD

Could I ask why? The NT has loads of power and torque - do you need any more? What can't the car do that you want it to?

2008 NS DiD GLX, ARB bar, Warn winch, BFG ATs, Bilstein/Lovell 2" lift, Milford barrier, VMS GPS, Rhino platform rack, Uniden UHF, Mobile 1 antenna, MMA tow bar, DIY dual battery system, Outback rear storage, Bushskinz bash plates x 3, custom steel sliders, Airtec snorkel, Narva HIDs, Ironman awning, ERPS, Glind hot water

Comment

• Richo-NT
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Brisbane

I have found that a properly good exhaust on a turbo diesel has a range of benefits including more power, more drivability as the engine comes on boost sooner, better efficiency and therefore economy, it makes the vehcile rev smoother and when done correctly is no louder then stock, however sounds a lot better. It is all about efficiency, if you improve the efficiency of a motor then its always going to be an improvement.

The benefits on petrol engines usually aren't as great, turbo diesels just respond really really well to good airflow.

I think a bigger intercooler would definetly be of benefit but the cost would be up there a bit as you would require new plumbing from the turbo to the intercooler then to the intake

Comment

• Richo-NT
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2009
                • Brisbane

I think the exhaust size is 3" from the turbo to the catalytic converter, then 2 3/4" the rest of the way.

I spoke to one exhaust guy who thought that maintaining that setup was the way to go, just using mandral bends rather then press bends as well as better flowing mufflers, however he had little idea about the PDF which means I probably won't use him, to avoid problems I will be going with someone who understands the PDF

Comment

• apsilon
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • Hills District NSW

I've never had a diesel before let alone done an exhaust on one so that's good to hear.

IMO having more power means you don't push the vehicle as hard to do the same thing which can often mean improved economy.

In my case I believe the repalcement muffler from the aux fuel tank is too restrictive and is actually robbing power. It might have been OK on the NS as none of the NS owners have commented but I feel it's down on pwoer/torque and I haven't been able to get near the same economy since fitting it and I suspect it because I'm pushing harder than I was before. It's also a little because the new muffler has an awful note so a nicer sound will be an extra plus.

As for the IC a larger one would be more efficient in hot temps and providing cooler air to the engine can never be a bad thing from a longevity POV.

Comment

• Richo-NT
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Brisbane

apsilon - I had a performance exhaust on my old magna but when I grew up a bit I found it too noisy so put the standard muffler back on it, as soon as I did that my wife who knows nothing about cars said "yeah its quieter but is something wrong with it? feels gutless"

a restrictive exhaust does make a BIG difference...

Comment

• apsilon
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2008
                      • Hills District NSW

Yeah I know. Every car I've ever had has had exhaust work. Just never had a diesel before so wasn't sure if they respond similarly, worse or better than petrol.

Comment

• Richo-NT
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Brisbane

they respond better and are MUCH easier to keep quiet and they don't drone like a petrol does.

Turbo diesels are much more compatible to exhaust upgrades then petrols

Comment

• MSF
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2009
                          • Sydney, Northern Beaches

From this and the other thread...

I will be going full exhaust (including custom manifolds if we can't get any decent off the shelf headers/extractors.)

Having a V6 means that I don't have to worry about the DPF (yay !!! ) but it also means worse economy (booo !! )

I have a Twin Turbo powered Cressida as my daily driver - and that had* a full 3" system fitted - and with the right choice of mufflers, it's very quiet.. to the point that unless you had a standard cressida beside it, you would't notice much difference.. Even at full noise, it's surprisingly quiet. And definitely not droney

*(I say had, as I needed to put a 2.5" restrictor in the pipe to lower the power as it was too powerful for daily driver..)

I was chatting to Eddie from Artarmon Automotive a few weeks back about his 'chipped' NS DiD VRX LWB and he reckons that a good exhaust will open it up a bit and definitely unleash a bit more power and torque, but getting around the DPF is the biggest hurdle for a full system on a DiD.

All my other Paj's that had Exhaust systems done responded well to the bigger exhaust, and didn't drone thankfully.. But that is the difference between a good system and a great system and having a good workshop that is happy to change mufflers if you are not happy...
                          Last edited by MSF; 13-08-09, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• Quadcam
                            • May 2008
                            • Brisbane

Have you had it on the dyno yet as per your PF thread? If so, what was the AFR like through the dyno run?
                            ZH Outlander VRX previously NS X V6 - RDL

Comment

• MSF
                              Valued Member
                              • Jul 2009
                              • Sydney, Northern Beaches

No, have not had it on the dyno for a power run as yet as I was waiting to work out how to disable the Trac contol.

But as was posted on here - looks like the only way is to pull the ABS fuses and disconnect the rear wheel sensors..

I'll get in touch with Dale and see how we go - Once done - I'll post up the dyno sheet..

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X