• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ohnyou
    • Jan 2013
    • Southern Cross (From Germany)

V6 3000 running too rich

Hello,
    i think my pajero is running to rich, the fuel consumption is about 25-28l/100km.
    The o2-sensor should be alright, but the exhaust gases are smelling like petrol. Is the motor running to rich?
  • Pauly Faulkner
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2012
    • Maitland, NSW

Absolutely, way to rich.

How old is the O2 sensor? Have you checked the tps and engine coolant temp sensor?

That kind of consumption I would say It's maf, O2, engine temp sensor or leaking somewhere(injectors).

Does it seem to run fine(I.e still has plenty of power)?

Do you need a hand on how to check the sensors?
    97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
    97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• ohnyou
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Pauly Faulkner View Post
      Absolutely, way to rich.

How old is the O2 sensor? Have you checked the tps and engine coolant temp sensor?

That kind of consumption I would say It's maf, O2, engine temp sensor or leaking somewhere(injectors).

Does it seem to run fine(I.e still has plenty of power)?

Do you need a hand on how to check the sensors?
      Its hard to reach 90-100kmh...
      I dont know how old the sensor is i have the car for just 6 months, i think the engine temp should be working, the needle is moving.
      If the injectors are leaking can i smell or see that from the outside?
      That would be great if you can help me, how to check the sensor...

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2012
        • Maitland, NSW

Engine coolant temp sensor is for the ECU only, there is another one for the gauge and it is called a sender, not a sensor. If it's shagged or on it's way out the ECU can keep pumping fuel in as if it's still cold.
        Leaking injector/s is when the needle seat inside the injector fowls or the response time of the injector is not correct(solenoid stuffed) and as such excessive fuel is let in.

Being that it's hard to get up to speed(slight loss of power) then i'd first be checking that the brakes aren't dragging. stuck caliper slide pins or handbrake etc can cause the brake to remain partially on at all times and would have the same affect(minus the fuel smell).
        Check those and i'll post how to check the sensor etc over the weekend. most of it i have already posted in gen2 section but i'll copy'pasta here for you.
        97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
        97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• ohnyou
          • Jan 2013

Okay thank you very much!

Comment

• ohnyou
            • Jan 2013

Do you think i should go to a mechanic and ask for a scan, or can i check all this point by myself?
            Im in Geraldtona at the moment and have only basic tools with me.

I think the brakes+parkbrake should be allright.

Edit: I have a small crack in the manifold/exhaust pipe.

Comment

• ohnyou
              • Jan 2013

Is anyone living in geraldton or near of it, and can have a Look at The car?
              Sometimes i get a "power-punch" for example at 3000 rpm and the next time there is nothing....maybe there is something blocked? maybe parts of the catalyst are blocking the exhaust pipe?
              Last edited by ohnyou; 26-05-13, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X