• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jack
    • Aug 2008
    • Adelaide

Active Stability Control light appearing

Hi everyone
    i was wondering has anyone had a problem with the ASC on the 08 pajero.
    it is coming on when we do over 80kmph, the car has gas.
    the Engine Control light also came on but the dealer told us that was the gas running lean.
    has anyone else had a problem with the ASC control light?
    thanks
    Jack
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

The Engine Control light should NOT EVER come on unless there's a fault. Take it back to the dealer or gas installer and get it checked. I run injected gas on my NM and have NEVER had the EC light come on for any reason.

The ASC light could be due to different diameter tyres on the same axle. Are the tyres all the same? Make and age?
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• pajdid
      • Jun 2007
      • Morayfield Qld

I have just had the ASC off light on, was due to flat battery, started car and took for a drive still remained on, Disconnected battery for a while then reconnected, light was still on drove for about 10 minutes and went out, has not returned.
      NT VRX 2010 Snorkle,ARB bar IPF Lights Dual Batteries,Rear Diff lock and Tow Kit, also NH shorty Supercharger,front & rear lockers,lift kit, Ironman suspension and BFG Muddys 33'sSnorkle Winch

Comment

• norm
        • Oct 2009

Recently fitted a prodigy brake controller to my 08 ns. When I connected to the van to check it appeared o.k. but after disconnecting I put the ns back in the garage and noticed the ascoff light was lit and the prodigy lights had gone out.
        After checking other threads re controllers I rechecked my wiring, all appeared as it should be, I re connected to the van and all appears well this time no asc light. It has got me puzzled the prodigy only connects to power, earth, the brake switch and the caravan brakes. How can these affect the asc

Comment

• moe323
          • Apr 2009

i was working on a holden statesman a few weeks ago that was running on dual fuel. and there was a message on the centre consol the said not to use traction control while on gas. not sure why but maybe that is what is causing the issue.

Comment

• Uncle Buck
            • Nov 2008

I have had these problems, first happened while driving at fraser island, traction control and stability control lights coming on randomly. on the trip back nearing Brisbane the CEL came on. Took it back to Mitsubishi and they refuse to look at it, claim it is because of the gas, not sure how as they won't look at it. Has been back tothe gas people three times with no faults found. Back to mitsubishi same story, all sorts of comments from the service manager (who also rang and abused the gas installer because the gas people said there was nothing wrong with the gas) "this engine is not suitable for gas," "they probably didn't wire it properly when the cut the loom" the loom is plug and play. "Mitsubishi don't nkow anything about gas systems" mitsubishi co designed this system (Impco).

If you or anybody has any information on this subject I would appreciate it as I am trying to find anything I can so that I can take this further with MMA.

Michael.

By the way my car is now running fine and have done absolutley nothing.
            NS GLX V6 Manual, Black, Factory Diff Lock, LPG, XJS Gold Front Struts, King Springs Rear, GME 4400

Comment

• Dazza.
              Valued Member
              • Aug 2009
              • Northern Territory

Originally posted by moe323 View Post
              i was working on a holden statesman a few weeks ago that was running on dual fuel. and there was a message on the centre consol the said not to use traction control while on gas. not sure why but maybe that is what is causing the issue.
              The reason why gas and traction controls do not bode well together is the heightened risk of a backfire causing engine damage.

Apparently it's something to do with the engine being cut back momentarily as the traction control works, however, the gas builds up in the engine at this time and as soon as it starts to go again a bigger amount of gas ignites which can cause damage.

The current Ford Falcon's that are LPG don't have traction control for this reason. Petrol ones have them standard - which is the only reason why petrol Falcon's have 5 star safety rating and the LPG only have 4.
              COOL SILVER MY10 NT DID GLS MANUAL PAJERO - Colour Coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar - Warn X9 Winch - 60L Auxiliary Tank - Towbar - HID Lightforce Spotlights - DIY dual battery system - TX3440 UHF - Lovells/Bilstien suspension - BushSkinz bash plates - Driver with a passion to explore Australia

Comment

• Uncle Buck
                • Nov 2008

the traction control works fine with the pajero. The impco system uses the original mitsubishi computer so all functions still work including the fuel consumption readouts (bar the distance to empty), being injected it should never backfire. Also when the CEL comes on and puts up the code for running lean it is actually because it is running rich, so I was told by the gas people.

Buck
                NS GLX V6 Manual, Black, Factory Diff Lock, LPG, XJS Gold Front Struts, King Springs Rear, GME 4400

Comment

• jack
                  • Aug 2008
                  • Adelaide

Buck, sounds like you and I have a similar problem. I have the traction control light come on mainly on a run. Park turn off the car turn back on light goes out. Country MD had no idea of why. I also once had the engine yellow light come on during a trip took to MD and they indicated running lean. Took car to gas installers who said it was fine replaced both the air filter? and the gas filter as part of a service light hasnt come on again. All a bit strange.
                  Car on gas is great, runs well heaps cheap besides the lights issue I am very pleased. Gas installed at puchase done 40K all good. Can anyone else help Buck and I.

Comment

• hillross
                    • Jun 2008

ASC Light comes on and stays lit

We have recently had the ASC light come on for no reason while driving in 2 wheel drive on the highway and pressing the switch has no effect ie the light stays lit no matter how many times you press the button. We have found that the only way to turn it off is to stop the car turn the ignition off and back on again. We have a standard ns manual diesel without gas, will have to take it back to a dealer once we get back to Brisbane from our trip to Adelaide.

Comment

• apsilon
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2008
                      • Hills District NSW

Can't offer much help but FWIW the switch doesn't work if the vehicle is moving so if you were pressing it while driving then I can understand if having no effect.
                      MY09 NT Pajero X shortie diesel
                      Mods - No longer fit in my sig so see here

Comment

• hillross
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by apsilon View Post
                        Can't offer much help but FWIW the switch doesn't work if the vehicle is moving so if you were pressing it while driving then I can understand if having no effect.
                        Thanks for that Apsilon, I found the switch does work at low speeds.

The lights came on again tonight on the highway with cruise on. The ASC light and also the light above it showing the car skidding stayed on. At the same time the cruise disengaged and I couldn't turn it back on at all. Had to stop the car and turn the ignition off to reset it. May be a bit hard to replicate the fault when it goes in to be checked at the dealer.

Comment

• Uncle Buck
                          • Nov 2008

Had my car at the gas people recently to try and find the problem. Had Impco diaignose it as a fault with the intake valves being too tight, on the NS and NT they have adjustable intake valves (not exhaust) What happens (so I have been told) is when running on petrol the carbon deposits form on the valves ensuring a seal, when running on gas it cleans these deposits from the the valves and as they have worn they dont close properly. When this happens on the NS with its Euro 4 engine settings it causes the CEL to come on. As for the traction control and stability control lights these work in conjunction with the engine managment system and are not actually a fault on its own. Fix the CEL problem and the other faults will corect themselves.

I have just had my valves adjusted, on advice from Impco adjusted so the clearanve is 1thou greater than standard so time will tell if this solves the problem. On mine the fault code was saying that only one bank was running lean so it sounds plausable that the valves (it only needs to be one) are the cause, was also told that dirty gas filters can cause the same problem.

This also sounds logical as to why it seems that this only seems to occour on models from NS onwards as the MN to NP all had non adjustable valves so as they wear they adjust themselves.

Buck

Comment

• hillross
                            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by hillross View Post
                            We have recently had the ASC light come on for no reason while driving in 2 wheel drive on the highway and pressing the switch has no effect ie the light stays lit no matter how many times you press the button. We have found that the only way to turn it off is to stop the car turn the ignition off and back on again. We have a standard ns manual diesel without gas, will have to take it back to a dealer once we get back to Brisbane from our trip to Adelaide.
                            Before we got it to our dealer the lights came on on a more regular basis, and the engine light ended up staying on 2 days before we were to take it in to be looked at. Probably good because they could plug in for codes. The dealer ended up replacing the inlet manifold under warranty, apparently they replace it with an NT manifold? They also told me it is a known design issue, so I think it would apply to all diesel NS models?

Also when I picked up the car I found the car is a lot better on acceleration and I don't get the shudder from the engine I used to get when slowing down and disengaging the clutch. The occasional rough idle seems to be gone too.

Comment

• Kurri Eagle
                              • Feb 2010
                              • Hunter Valley

Originally posted by hillross View Post
                              Before we got it to our dealer the lights came on on a more regular basis, and the engine light ended up staying on 2 days before we were to take it in to be looked at. Probably good because they could plug in for codes. The dealer ended up replacing the inlet manifold under warranty, apparently they replace it with an NT manifold? They also told me it is a known design issue, so I think it would apply to all diesel NS models?

Also when I picked up the car I found the car is a lot better on acceleration and I don't get the shudder from the engine I used to get when slowing down and disengaging the clutch. The occasional rough idle seems to be gone too.
                              Just took my NS VRX in yesterday for some warranty work , cruise lights dont work and the back door wasnt closing fully . Today the ASC light has come on for the first time ever . It's a Manual Diesel , is this happening alot . I have also noticed a shudder under the same conditions.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X