X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikhabib
    • Dec 2007

ABS hydraulic brake booster motor

Yesterday as i was reversing out the driveway the brake pedal suddenly went as hard as a rock (like there was no vacuum assist) and after a few seconds the abs and (!) lights came on the dash as well as i high pitched (very anonying) alarm. Everytime i turn on the car now i get the warnings

Im booked in tomorrow at MMS st leanords to get the brake boost accumlator fixed as per the recall letter i got a few months back. The guy at MMS was really helpfull and explained the accumulator only comes into effect when the engine is off and it stores enough pressure so you can still press the brakes normally for a couple of goes, my problem is the brake pedal is hard all the time even when the engine is running he believes it could be the complete abs unit which will cost $2000 to replace! i told them to just do the accumulator and if that doesnt fix it then ill sort it out myself.

ive just check all the relays and fuses and everthing is ok, then i removed the air box and gave the abs motor a few light taps with a hammer (with ignition on) and it kicked onto life and the abs alarms went off and the brake pedal is now back to normal. i went for a little drive and everything seams to be back to normal.
    Im thinking the abs motor is on the way out, is it possible to replace just the abs motor (or brushes) or is everything one complete unit???

do you guys now if the abs motor will be replaced as part of the recall??

cheers
    ronny
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

Your not gonna like this...

You can only replace it as a whole assembly, and I believe it aint cheap :-(
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• hoffmonster
      • Jan 2010
      • south australia

replacement cost is around 3,000 grand i just changed my with a second hand one for around 550 bucks wreckers,but my problem is still there,lights abs on dash .code 61 comes up pressure sensor .all works ok for aday all so then comes back on, i am chashing for a short ,loose conection maybe ,if you get stuck for unit maybe we, could work somthing out cheers, it looks like there nothing wrong with my old unit. p. s. you cant by buy individual bits , tryed.

Comment

• markc
        • Oct 2007
        • Brisbane Sth East

You can also get parts from this mitsuibishi supplier ex the USA

Others have used them and say the service is excellent, they ship to Australia and my experience is that they respond next day to any questions regarding shipping costs etc.

The pump unit for your booster can be purchashed seperatly
        Assuming you have a NM search in the OEM listing for
        2001 Mistubishi Montero
        Brakes
        Hydraulic system
        Hydraulic booster
        Pump

and you'll see a price of US$615 or about Aust $700 + postage. As the total cost including shipping will be below Aust$1000 you wont be charged any customs or duty.

My only word of caution here is that although this system is quite reliable and generally only fails due to a lack of brake fluid changes every 2 years 40,000 klm allowing the fluid to become contaminated over time, mainly with moisture and then fail you might have more problems than just the pump.

There could be debris from the failed pump through your whole master cylinder so a total master cylinder swap out might be safer, cost here is just under $US1300 so you need to add shipping to that, convert to Aust $ and then add an additional 15% for customs and duty on the whole parts & shipping costs. Still a lot cheaper than buying here.

If the system is clean and just a burnt out pump motor than just the pump would be ok although somehting must have loaded it up to mak eit burn out. Just make sure you are totally sure prior to purchasing just the pump if you go tha way.

Cheers Mark

Comment

• Ian Sharpe
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2000
          • Tasmania

Originally posted by hoffmonster View Post
          replacement cost is around 3,000 grand .
          F A R K

my old Ford ED had ABS & I treated it like crap & it never gave me any grief, but $3k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man thats the cost of 2 ARB lockers
          !!
          NS shorty 3.8l petrol with winch, front/rear E-lockers
          NT shorty 3.2l tdi, pretty stock with rear locker

Comment

• markc
            • Oct 2007
            • Brisbane Sth East

Makes a good argument while smart and complicated isnt always better even though there maybe advantages with the more comlicated system like you still have boosted brakes without the engine running and the ignition on.

Also a good reason to service your brake system and change the brake fluid as recommended.

Comment

• sikhabib
              • Dec 2007

thanks for all the replys everyone.
              i bought the car from a dealer with 200,00km on it, the log book shows it was serviced at every service interval upto 190,000 so im assuming the brake fluid was flushed a few times. i did the 200,000km service (timing belt, plugs etc) when i bought it but i never thought to change the brake fluid. The car has now done 255,000km so fluid may have been in there for a bit too long (though it still looks clean)

The pump hasnt totally burnt out, yesterday i gave the abs motor a hit with a hammer and it kicked back into life and was working 100% until just before i got to mistubishi to have the acumulator replaced. They replaced the acumulator but advised me the abs pump is on the way out and it will cost $900 for the pump + labor. When i picked up the car the brakes were working normally but after about 30min the same problem re-occured, i gave the pump another good wack and it kicked back into life and was still working when i got home. Im hoping its only worn brushes causing the problem, it looks like the pump can be removed off the abs module so im going to pull it off on the weekend and see if i can fix it.

Thanks for the info markc if i cant fix the pump and decide on a new one ill deffinately be getting if from there

hoffmonster pm sent mate

Comment

• hoffmonster
                • Jan 2010
                • south australia

hi mark,do you think they supply individaul parts on the brake booster ie a srew in . pressure sensor.cheers hoffmonster.np did 04 exceed.tryied to get to site but would not load up

Comment

• markc
                  • Oct 2007
                  • Brisbane Sth East

hi mark,do you think they supply individaul parts on the brake booster ie a srew in . pressure sensor.cheers hoffmonster.np did 04 exceed.tryied to get to site but would not load up
                  They should do, I have found them pretty good service wise.

Web site is

Hopefully this link will work

Comment

• sikhabib
                    • Dec 2007

i pulled off the motor today and one of the copper contacts on the rotor is missing, the brushes are a little worn but still have plenty of life in them.

does anyone know if the abs unit of a 2007 pajero will fill my 2000 NM or if the abs motors are the same? i found a cheap 2007 unit that looks different to mine but going off some pics the motors look identical
                    Last edited by sikhabib; 21-02-10, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• hoffmonster
                      • Jan 2010
                      • south australia

Originally posted by markc View Post
                      They should do, I have found them pretty good service wise.

Web site is

Hopefully this link will work
                      when to site and loged on cheers, waiting on reply for part.

Comment

• sikhabib
                        • Dec 2007

update.........

the abs motors can be repaired by an engine rewinding place, i went to 2 places today

DT Graves
                        32 Hope St Seven Hills NSW 2147 ph: (02) 9624 3712

and

Blacktown City Rewinds
                        7 Tattersall Rd Blacktown NSW 2148 ph: (02) 9831 1126

i only needed the commutator replaced as some of the copper pads were worn/missing but to do this the armature has to be rewound, DT wanted $200 to do it and BCR $120, new brushes were going to cost roughly $100 extra from both places

i ended up going to a wrecker and buying a complete abs unit for $350, i only went this route because i couldnt wait the week and a half both places needed to do it, thankfully the abs motor on the wreckers unit was in excellent condition

i hope this helps someone oneday.....

Comment

• markc
                          • Oct 2007
                          • Brisbane Sth East

Hi, great outcome and at $350 you have other spare bits if you need them.

Make sure you drain the spare master cylinder and flush some new fluid through it. Then if you can seal it in a large A3 zip lock plastic bag and place that bag inside another zip lock plastic bag with silica gel to absorb any moisture during storage.

Cheers Mark

Comment

• carler
                            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by sikhabib View Post
                            i pulled off the motor today and one of the copper contacts on the rotor is missing, the brushes are a little worn but still have plenty of life in them.

does anyone know if the abs unit of a 2007 pajero will fill my 2000 NM or if the abs motors are the same? i found a cheap 2007 unit that looks different to mine but going off some pics the motors look identical
                            Sorry to drag up this old thread but can this motor be removed without removing the complete HBB unit?
                            I have a problem with the motor and would like to take it out on it's own without even the pump. Is this possible?

Comment

• Pete
                              Valued Member
                              • Jan 2010
                              • Mornington Peninsula, Vic

replacement cost is around 3,000 grand i just changed my with a second hand one for around 550 bucks wreckers,.
                              another vote for second hand. i did the second hand one and all worked for me.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X