• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • P-E-T-E-
    • Sep 2012
    • Margate, TAS

thermo fan setup...

hi forum

so ive got my electric thermo fan in and working on my NH with the 6g72 motor and i have thrown my old power leeching radiator fan in the spare parts bin.

the thermatic switch for the fan turns on at 70'c and brings the temp back down to about 60'c before it switches off -this is at idle! is this too cold or about right?

dont know what the normal operating temp is for these motors
    1999 NL WIDEBODY GLS TDI EXCEED
  • Pauly Faulkner
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2012
    • Maitland, NSW

Want the coolant between 80c-90c.
    That temp is exiting the motor, not sure where you have your temp probe though?
    97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
    97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• P-E-T-E-
      • Sep 2012
      • Margate, TAS

ah i see 80-90'c hmm

my temp probe is in a somewhat strange position...
      (dont hate me but, its right next to the radiator inlet hose (top hose) literally tapped into the ratiator tank)

as there was no room on the top of the thermostat housing for another probe i had to find somewhere else lol but it works haha

i have my temp guage sensor that confirms that it comes on at 70'c

i can get a different thermatic switch so that the fan comes on at 80'c, 90'c or 100'c -and so on

what would you reccomend?

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2012
        • Maitland, NSW

Your thermostat will still mantain the engine temp anyways via coolant flow control so if you have to buy anything to make it trigger fan at higher temp then i wouldn't worry about it
        97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel

Comment

• P-E-T-E-
          • Sep 2012
          • Margate, TAS

yeah i umed and ared about it this afternoon the thermostatic switch is relativley inexpensive, my mate keeps telling me that 70 is way too cold for it to come on at but i tend to think that it might be for the best on hot days or when the engine is under stress

Comment

• LordMayhem
            Valued Member
            • Apr 2012
            • Brissy QLD

i manually switch mine i turn them on when it gets just over a quarter on the factory gauge and it will work it's way up to normal operating temp and hold there all day long
            94 NJ 3L Auto Stocker

Comment

• AndyNH91
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2012
              • Adelaide Hills

You'll find that once the thermostat closes, the temperature of the radiator will drop soon afterwards, which will turn the fan off.

No big deal, I don't expect that the fan will run more than it needs to because of this logic. But selecting a fan turn on / turn off temperature lower than you have will have no effect on engine temp, because the coolant flow to the radiator stops below 88degC.
              Andrew

MQ Triton GLX+ dual cab ute, EGR canopy, roof vent, tubliner and towbar. 6 speed manual, almost stock

Treg 1.5T Offroad Trailer with Polyblock Hitch, genuine Pajero wheels, 2x spares, Cooper 31" ATRs, four jerry can holders, tie down rails and soon to come tonneau cover

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2012
                • Maitland, NSW

Not really such a thing as "to low" for the fan turn on temp imo as it's pretty much the same thing the mechanical fan was already doing.
                Wouldn't worry too much about it pete, just means the fan stays on for a bit longer then it needs to and turns on a bit quicker is all. If it's no problem then definately wack a 80cON/70cOFF one on there as this will have the fan off when it's not needed more then the one you have now will.

Leaving it running or lowering the temp it turns on at won't increase the performance/capacity or anything, equalibrium will set in moments after the thermostat opens anyways.

Comment

• AndyNH91
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2012
                  • Adelaide Hills

Awesome job, congrats for working a way around the somewhat dodgy hydrostatic fan clutches. In reality they wind up running most of the time the engine is on... which is a waste of fuel when you are cruising down the highway.
                  Andrew

MQ Triton GLX+ dual cab ute, EGR canopy, roof vent, tubliner and towbar. 6 speed manual, almost stock

Treg 1.5T Offroad Trailer with Polyblock Hitch, genuine Pajero wheels, 2x spares, Cooper 31" ATRs, four jerry can holders, tie down rails and soon to come tonneau cover

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2012
                    • Maitland, NSW

Not wrong there Andy, most people i know with electric fans reckon they only turn on now and then and hardly ever turn on in any season other then summer and you'll never hear one turn on cruising down the freeway unless the air con is going on a hot day.

The viscous clutches hold their own though, they put out double if not more air then the electrics and being viscous they don't really make all that much difference on the motor compared to old direct drive blades but any restored power is good power in my books.
                    They do also have a bi-metal strip to increase or reduce the viscous coupling depending on how hot the air is coming in through the rad as well.
                    Personally the roar of the fan over the engine is a bit annoying at times so i'll be switching to electrics once this viscous hub packs it in lol

Comment

• P-E-T-E-
                      • Sep 2012
                      • Margate, TAS

ah well i might leave the 70'c one i have alone for now ill get an 80'c to keep handy in the spares box...

it seems to be allright -at least it cools the water a lot better compared to the clutch fan and it isnt constantly consuming power = fuel
                      it is also by far a more efficient option, tassie isnt really flat like the mainland

so paj gets a work out wherever i go in the summertime temps used to get a bit hairy going up huge steep hills and the std clutch fan never cut the mustard

hopefully it will prove itself to be a good investment providing the fan dosent die when it gets wet/drowned lol guess ill have to find that out the hard way with a good water crossing =)

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X