• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 96NK
    • Jan 2012
    • Canberra

V4AW3 - torque convertor lock-up?

Hi,
    I have been following this forum for over a year now and found it very informative. Thanks to all.

So here comes my 1st post

I got myself a low milage (120K) Pajero 18 months ago from a friend. It's a '96 NK LWB GLS with a 3.5l DOHC auto with no mods yet. I am interested in possibly getting a torque convertor lock-up manual switch but I cannot find anything for my transmission. As fas as I can tell from research it should have a lock-up but I'm still not 100% sure. Any advice will be appreciated.

I am getting some gearmaster 2.7 low range gears installed in the next couple weeks so hopefully I may not need the lock-up switch to slow things down.

I came across this page which explains the electronic controls for the V4AW3 I thought I'd share (if you haven't already seen it).

Cheers
  • TC.Barky
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2011
    • Melbourne

It won't have a manual lockup from the factory if that's what you mean. They automatically unlock at touring speeds though. You should be able to fit an aftermarket switch but be warned - they are pretty dangerous if misused and have the potential to disintegrate things. Most sites that sell them say if you stop with the lockup engaged the engine will "stall" but this doesn't paint an accurate picture as they literally stop instantly with a loud bang unlike when a manual car stalls. Does not sound good when it happens lol. They do have benefits when touring - particularly when towing. There are some benefits off-road on downhills but in the vehicles I've driven with them fitted they don't make a huge amount of difference.
    MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• smccask
      • May 2008
      • Perth

You could do this but it would be a bad idea. You will not be able to disengage it reliably with a manual switch, you'll break the torque converter quick smart. If you are getting lower gears then I don't see why you would need a manual tcc lockup, just shift to 1st. I haven't driven a V4aw3 box before, but i'd say 1st gear does not coast and you will still get strong engine braking, then use your brakes to supplement.
      - Simon
      NS Pajero GLX LWB, 5.7L V8 conversion
      RIP NH Pajero GLS LWB, 5.7L V8 conversion

Comment

• 96NK
        • Jan 2012
        • Canberra

Thanks to all for the responses.

I was thinking of an aftermarket manual switch. From the sounds of things i'll stay away from this approach. I really do not want to break anything.

My number one priority is reliability.

The low range gears I am getting installed will hopefully do the job. Will keep posted with an update

Cheers,
        Nick

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X