• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fisherjez
    • Jul 2010
    • Townsville

Installation of anchor points

Im looking at getting some anchor points installed for child restraints in the sear seats. Has anyone had this done? Where, how much?

Any advice is appreciated.
    Cheers

Jeremy

NS VRX manual, diesel, wife and 4 kids (non-standard additions).
  • GlennR
    • May 2010
    • Brisbane

Hi Jeremy,
    There are three anchor points behind the second row seats specifically designed for child seats. I would'nt risk mine in the very back (temporary) seats in case of a rear end. Just a thought.
    NS Exceed - Gunmetal, Aftermarket Chrome handles, mirrors and headlamp surrounds. Bumper Protector, Cargo Barrier, Tow Bar.

Comment

• Pajero_Pete
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Adelaide Hills

Or are you talking the 3rd row seats ???
      Great little Io then NL dual fuel then my first DiD NP followed by an NS DiD and now an NT RX DiD in the shed

Comment

• fisherjez
        • Jul 2010
        • Townsville

Glenn,

My thoughts also, but since buying only 6 months ago and spending too much money on mods we have found out that we are expecting a 4th child! Makes things hard and running out of options but to otherwise sell.

Haven't even used it off road yet!

Yes am talking about the third row.
        Cheers

Jeremy

Comment

• Rendrag
          Valued Member
          • Feb 2010
          • Central Coast, NSW

Maybe silly question, but are the three existing kids ALL going to still be in a child restraint when the next bub comes along?

Remember that once they outgrow the child restraint, and go into a booster (whether that be by actually buying a dedicated booster seat to replace the restraint, or removing the H harness, and disconnecting the anchor strap from a convertible one (like the maxi-rider AHR's my wife and I have in our cars) and putting the seat belt over the child in the seat instead of through the back of the restraint), you no longer NEED an anchor point for that child.. - so if your eldest is into a booster seat by then, it just goes on one of the rear seats, your middle row has the three restraints, and you're all good

Just a thought
          VK2TDG/VK2DGJ
          Dip.EE, Dip.IT, GradIEAust, Master Cabler
          '94 3.0L Pajero GLS
          '84 BMW K100RT Starship

Comment

• fisherjez
            • Jul 2010
            • Townsville

Rendrag,

Totally agree and understand what you are saying. Our oldest is 5 and can be in a booster cushion in the back (without a harness and therefore anchor point), but the others will require seats with inbuilt harnesses.

The problem lies with the lack of space for anything else if the seats are all up. Our intention was to have the back seat up with 2 restraints (or 1 restraint and the booster cushion) and the middle row with the quarter seat removed so we can store stuff (like the double stroller we will need to carry) in the space it was removed from.

The 2 other seats will go in the middle seat (second row).

Major problems????
            Cheers

Jeremy

Comment

• Rendrag
              Valued Member
              • Feb 2010
              • Central Coast, NSW

Ahhh, sorry, it didn't occur to me that your seats are laid out differently in the NS, than they are in the NJ! - We have a solid centre row seat, and then two fold-down rear seats, so we try to fill the centre row first

I guess talk to your local child-restraint place, they'll know what you can and can't do..

When I got the NJ, and discovered the factory restraints are above the rear door (so you can't USE the third row seats if you have restraints in the centre row! Plus you need stupidly long straps!), I headed straight down to our local bloke to get his thoughts.. Well, more to check that my thoughts were ok - I probably have a bit more leeway than you, since the NJ came out before the 'new' restraint ADR came in, so it's not a case of 'use any extra possible locations shown in the manual, or get it engineered', it's just 'make sure mounting angles conform to the ADR'..

Given our commodore wagons have the anchor points *ON* the back of the seats, he said that gave precedent for putting new anchor points in, which are simply mounted to the main rear rail of the centre row seat. (Though he usually fabricated a rail which bolted to the floor behind the seat, and mounted them to that, as it's a MAJOR hassle to get the seat apart to the point that you can get a socket into the back of the seat rail..) It meant getting some BLOODY long hardened steel bolts, as that rail is 3" deep, but hooking restraints in now is much easier! And it means one less thing you have to un-hook if you need to slide the centre row forward!

And then (the easy one!), two holes drilled in the floor (carefully for the drivers side, as the tank is 2" below the floor there ) behind the rear seats, and two anchor points put in there (using the large washers they come with on either side of the floor).

But yeah, our local fitting station was *really* helpful - When he initially thought it was newer than it is, he was going on about having to bring it back on the day of the week he has an engineer in for the morning to approve stuff, etc, and he'd need to do all the work, etc.. But once he found out it was an early 1994 model, he didn't seem to care that he wasn't going to get any work out of it because I was wanted to do it myself, he just grabbed a copy of the ADR and ran me through how things should to be mounted etc etc..

So yeah, I guess unless someone on here pipes up and has already gone through it, you'll probably need to find your local fitting station and see what they say?

Cheers,

Damien
              VK2TDG/VK2DGJ
              '94 3.0L Pajero GLS
              '84 BMW K100RT Starship

Comment

• fisherjez
                • Jul 2010
                • Townsville

Thanks Damian for your info.

I will speak with kidssafe to find out who can advise me locally (if any) and will post info for others to use in the future if needed.
                Cheers

Jeremy

Comment

• fisherjez
                  • Jul 2010
                  • Townsville

FYI

Spoke with the authorized fitter today and his advice was that there is no way of legally (or for that matter illegally), installing anchor points for the rear seats in the NS Pajero.

So looks like we are looking for a people mover (Terago, Carnival, etc.) as another vehicle, not as a replacement . Any suggestions on people movers welcome (probably wrong site I know....).
                  Cheers

Jeremy

Comment

• Rendrag
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2010
                    • Central Coast, NSW

Wow, that wasn't quite the outcome I was expecting! I'd have thought they'd be able to engineer SOMETHING?!?! Or do the seats not conform to some requirement under the restraint anchorage ADR's? (minimum headroom, or angle of seat back or something??

I dunno, was expecting that there would be *some* way to install anchor points!

The folks over the road have a carnival, looks very nice, they fit a LOT in it.. - though it seems to spend at least three days a week with the bonnet up, so I'd look around and for reviews of them if you're looking at one

Regards,

Damien
                    VK2TDG/VK2DGJ
                    '94 3.0L Pajero GLS
                    '84 BMW K100RT Starship

Comment

• fisherjez
                      • Jul 2010
                      • Townsville

Thanks for the heads up Rendrag. I have been looking at the Carnivals, but have a mate with one that when the timing belt was replaced the entire engine needed to be removed as standard practice, and cost over 2k!!!!

Yes, major disappointment with the anchor points, but according to the guy its the same story for most 4wds with back row seats. Apparently Patrols can only put 2 child restraints in the middle row because they are split in the middle, unlike the Pajero split at two thirds that allows for 3 seats with anchors on this row.

There is no way that they can modify and conform to the legal requirements for the 3rd row.
                      Cheers

Jeremy

Comment

• cooperplace
                        Valued Member
                        • Oct 2010
                        • adelaide

Originally posted by fisherjez View Post
                        Glenn,

My thoughts also, but since buying only 6 months ago and spending too much money on mods we have found out that we are expecting a 4th child! Makes things hard and running out of options but to otherwise sell.

Haven't even used it off road yet!

Yes am talking about the third row.
                        wow, number 4!!! congratulations.

Comment

• Bing
                          Valued Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • Currently QLD

Originally posted by fisherjez View Post
                          Thanks for the heads up Rendrag. I have been looking at the Carnivals, but have a mate with one that when the timing belt was replaced the entire engine needed to be removed as standard practice, and cost over 2k!!!!

Yes, major disappointment with the anchor points, but according to the guy its the same story for most 4wds with back row seats. Apparently Patrols can only put 2 child restraints in the middle row because they are split in the middle, unlike the Pajero split at two thirds that allows for 3 seats with anchors on this row.

There is no way that they can modify and conform to the legal requirements for the 3rd row.

Ok Heads up my mate had a Carnival and it was a good vehicle and all until a cyclinder sleeve(s) moved in the engine and wrecked the thing. I think it is a known engine design fault in the Carnival for certain years... can't remember which years but a google will sort it out maybe 2002ish. Kia at that stage had refused to help even though it is a design fault. Beware and check out google.

Best of luck.

Starters

Kia Carnival VQ (2006-2011) (People Mover): 2.7 out of 5 stars from 36 genuine reviews on Australia's largest opinion site ProductReview.com.au.
                          2010 Platinum LE. Cool Silver, Auto, DiD, MM Rear Difflock. HD MM Tow bar and Lift Kit. Buzz Racks.

Comment

• fisherjez
                            • Jul 2010
                            • Townsville

Thanks Cooperplace. There are all girls so I will be well looked after when older hopefully!

Bing,

Very interesting reading. I had no idea that the problem with these was so extensive. Wont be going near them. Thanks for the info.
                            Cheers

Jeremy

Comment

• martyvan
                              • Feb 2009
                              • Brisbane North

Dont know if anyone has mentioned, although, you would have little space left for any prams of any sort, but, a Ford Territory has 5 anchor points in the car. It has the isofix variety in the middle row on the back and bolts are required to be installed and the holes are there for the bolts in the 3rd row...... just as thought

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X