• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old plodder
    • Jul 2007

2.8l - 4M40 turbo problems

Overhaul or replace the turbo?
    Using oil at about 1l/1000k.
    Looks like the turbo seals are gone/going.
    So what is the best thing to do to fix it?

In Brisbane.

Get it overhauled? But my mechanic reckons not many reliable people in Brisy anymore to do the overhaul?

replace it? Where to get one and how much?

Can you get a cartridge replacement, i.e. just the internals, and how reliable would it be?

Is it worthwhile getting the same turbo but with a different set of vanes for quicker spool up? Usually drive in the 1800 to 2800 rpm range anyway.

Rest of engine is good, just been overhauled.
    Done 330,000k from new, original turbo.

Any comments appreciated.
    John C AKA oldplodder

1996 LWB - 2.8l turbo diesel

too many extras to list, who cares anyway,
    when they get a bit older just grateful it still goes OK.
  • peejay68au
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2007
    • nsw

I was in the same boat 12 months ago, I got the internals replaced reusing my old outer housing for $1125 plus about $400 for labour. Works perfect for me, although I think my old wastegate may be starting to open a little early now.

Can't remember the name of the supplier but it came from the mob in Wagga Wagga.

Hope this helps a little.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• gjh1967
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2007
      • Lake Macquarie

I's keep an eye on Ebay or pajero/delica spares suppliers. as these people know where to get stuff from thats not too expensive.

would 4D56 turbo fit
      Just a thought.
      2003 NP 3.2 DI-D LWB 5spd-DVD Entertainment unit-Narva 175 blue's-Side Steps-Uniden UHO15SX-Garmin GPS16 and Oziexplorer-ARB On Board air-Polyairs-Airtek Snorkel-Khumo KL78's-Headrest DVD players- Ironman Lift kit- 12000lb winch- Dual Batteries - Redarc isolator-Bushskinz intercooler guard.

Comment

• old plodder
        • Jul 2007

Peejay,

Had the same problem with mine.

Put a boost gauge on to check and it was only going to 9 psi max, should be 11 psi.

Installed a manual boost controller and I now get 14 psi.
        Can adjust it a psi at a time, 1/4 turn is about 1 psi.
        Cost about $50.00 to buy off ebay.

Thanks for the info on the cartridge , was thinking along those lines.

regards

John C
        John C AKA oldplodder

1996 LWB - 2.8l turbo diesel

too many extras to list, who cares anyway,
        when they get a bit older just grateful it still goes OK.

Comment

• martin7
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2008
          • High Wycombe W.A.

check out the terrain tamer site they do new ones i think, also dont know if you have don kyatt spare parts in qld but they do 4x4 spares and i know they sell turbos.
          95 NJ PAJERO 3.0LT V6, AUTO, MAN HUBS, ECB bullbar, WARN 9000lb WINCH, dual long range tanks (205lts), Airtec snorkel, K&N air filter, rotronics dual battery system, GME tx4400 uhf, rated recovery points on all 4 corners, GQ rear coils

Comment

• peejay68au
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • nsw

Originally posted by old plodder View Post
            Installed a manual boost controller and I now get 14 psi.

I'm thinking something like that myself, but I have a feeling my exhaust may be blocked up with deposits from the old motor. When the mechanic first looked at it, he ran his finger around the tailpipe and thick ashy deposits came out.

I think they may have filled up the holes in the mufflers and are restricting flow.

Good excuse to get a new exhaust.
            It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X