• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Mornington Peninsula, Vic

Snorkel Installation

I pick up my safari snorkel form ARB tomrrow and will fit it over the weekend following the safari instructions.

I have ever fitted one before...other than whats in the instructions is there any tips for getting this 100% right the first time?
  • arrow
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2007

did an installation not too long ago. found the instructions contained everything you need to know.

the advice to me was - measure twice and cut once. old advice but valid.

the result - good.

Comment

• Herman4x4
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2009
      • Melton, Victoria

Not sure what is in the instrucitons, but I have heard to use tape on the panel when cutting the whole and to use a punch before drilling.
      Cheers,
      Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
      Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• apsilon
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2008
        • Hills District NSW

I fitted mine back in jan and that was the first one I'd done. Nothing to it really, just have to get the nerve up to drill holes in your car.

As mentioned everythign you need should be in the instructions but my tips:

- Measure twice and cut once as arrow said
        - Use a centre punch and for the larger holes drill a pilot hole first.
        - For the stud holes (I'm assuming Safari is basically the same as the Airtec I fitted) try a step drill rather than the listed Xmm size. Mine were 13mm so I drilled a pilot hole and then used the 13mm bit but the holes ended up a little ragged as the sheet metal is thin and at that size it wants to cut in and then twist. Apparently a step drill will help avoid this. Not a problem, just depends on how particular you are.
        - Paint or otherwise seal any bare metal edges
        MY09 NT Pajero X shortie diesel
        Mods - No longer fit in my sig so see here

Comment

• ratstriton
          • Jul 2007

Have a look at my install on my triton.

Comment

• Pete
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2010

I got the car apart and the template stuck on. Do you keep the template kind of barrelled and taped only at the edges or do you try and get every hole flat to the panel?

Why so much tape on the triton panel to drill the holes?

Comment

• ratstriton
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Pete View Post
              I got the car apart and the template stuck on. Do you keep the template kind of barrelled and taped only at the edges or do you try and get every hole flat to the panel?

Why so much tape on the triton panel to drill the holes?
              I taped it flat to the panel in about four spots.
              and the tape was just in case filing's caught on the drill bit and scratched the panel

Comment

• Pete
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2010

OK. Mine is fitted.

Some tips.

Dont buy a 12mm and a 16mm drill bit.

My safari template wasnt perfect. the top didnt line up alond the top of the guard when the indicator hole was perfect. Ignore indicator hole and line up top and edge of the guard and tape the edges and drill. Let the indicator be out a little bit (template will be about 3mm high when looking at indicator hole. this will be perfect.

On the bracket on the pillar. Either used slightly larger screws or only drill the holes using 7mm not 8mm drill bit...then put plastic lugs in....you can always go 8mm if you want, but you cant go back....these screws are a tiny bit loose for my liking. MAKE SURE this bracket is fixed to the car before tightening up yours snorkel mounting studs

Where you install the mounting bracket for the air filer box make sure you either shorten your orginal boltes or drill the body work out or your bolts will bottom out and strip yours threads.

Carefully calculate the cost of the tools you dont have. Tools can cost you easily over 150 and most places, incl ARB rrp, will fit it for 250.

Hope the above helps some one else.

Good luck.
                Last edited by Pete; 21-03-10, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X