• MickSA
    • Jun 2009
    • Southern Suburbs of Adelaide S.A

Lightforce Lights

G'day all

Anyone running these?

What are you running?

Opinions wanted Good or bad

Currently looking at Blitz and XGT in the 240 size.

Halogen and HID (High intensity discharge)
    Cheers Mick 2012 NW GLX MANUAL
  • pajrex1456
    • May 2009
    • Box Hill South, VIC

I have a set of Lightforce Striker 170s. Very bright! You can adjust them wide(ish) and spot, but make sure you don't go past the seals when going wide (checked this with the bossman of Lightforce himself, during the SHOT show recently). They are very light, and the mounting is pretty good such that the lights do not vibrate on the move. Just note that Lightforce recently released a HID kit for their lights at what I feel is tremendous value. You maybe can get a used set, and install the HID kit to get a -presto - HID spotties for cheapy price!

BTW, you can install them yourself - heck if a hopeless non-techie like myself can do it... Oh and make sure you get a set of those anti-theft nuts with them. You may like the new 240's, but I feel that's overkill. Try the 170s at night and see how you get blinded when they hit something up near! With 240s it'll be much worse.
    2015 NX GLX - 2" Lift, XHD Lovells Springs + Bilsteins, ARB Bar, Lightforce 170 Spotties, TJM 9500lb Winch, Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 265/70R17 on 17" factory steelies, Uniden UHF, Boo's Bashplates.. more coming!

1992 3.0V6 NH GLS - GONE!! The King is dead!! Long Live the King!!

Comment

• haggis
      • Jun 2007

These things are the best lights i have used. I have a set of 240s on the front of my NH, which I use as spots, and a set of cibie oscars I use for spreads. I am looking at running another set of 170s as spreads in the near future as the cibies are just about buggered. The measure of any light is the quality of its reflectors. Lightforce are well known for their rifle sights, which is a far more technical operation than spotlight building.

We also have 4 240s across the front of our rally car. these are by far the best we have used. In my opinion although on the pricey side, they represent great value for money. another bonus is the ability to change the cover tints for various conditions. We use the yellow for dust and the blues for fog, on the rally car.
      hope this info helps,
      Cheers
      Haggis
      92 NH GLS Pirahna dual battery system, Lightforce Blitz240 hid spots, cibie spreads, Bilstiens each corner, Lovells rear coils, custom drawer system, ARB roofrack, side awning, ARB twin jerry holder, MSA drop slide, GME TX3440, custom wiring harness for second battery.

Comment

• BeePaj
        • Jun 2008
        • Narre Warren

Hi Mick
        I have a set of 240's and they are great, one of the best on the market IMO.
        When I bought the vehicle it already had a set of IPF's which I found were nowhere near as bright as the Lightforce, so I swapped them over.
        If you do not want to get the HID kit then you can get the blue lenses which give a whiter light. You can get either spot or combo lens. The combo's will give you a better spread of light.
        Hope this helps.
        Bee
        NP 03 GLS 3.2 DID Snorkel, 2" lift, Milford cargo barrier, TJM T15 Alloy Winch Bar, Ironman 12000 winch, Lightforce 240's, dual battery, Rhino rack, Custom made draw system, 10" touch screen running Ozi Explorer, 2nd set Mickey Thompson MTZ 32", TRU BLU Camper

Comment

• mr_grumble
          • Jun 2007
          • Central Coast, NSW

Mick,

I have a set of 240 XGT's and find they are one of the best lights I've ever owned.
          The're big and can be complicated to fit in some places, but if possible, worth the effort.
          In the 'spot' configuration, I found them not that useful, too much light too focused. Throw a set of combo filters on and you have the same spot beam plus a very wide driving beam which covers a full 180 deg.
          Have seen a set of these with HID inserts and whilst they were bright, didn't think the beams they produced were much chop.
          "Percussive Maintenance : The fine art of whacking the crap out of something to get it to work again"

Comment

• MickSA
            • Jun 2009
            • Southern Suburbs of Adelaide S.A

Thanks Guys - You all have been an awesome help Car is in conversion tomorrow then after that i buy the spotties havent decided what yet.
            Cheers Mick 2012 NW GLX MANUAL

Comment

• Scruff
              • Aug 2009
              • 160Km south of Uluru in SA

Hi Mick - I live in the far north of SA and the roads are very rough. Now on my third set of Lightforce spots on my company vehicle. Nice and bright BUT they always crack where the focus adjusting screw thread is resulting in the spot dropping off. This is a very common problem out here. My personal vehicle has IPF, been on three vehicles over ten years with no problems.
              1995 NJ LWB x 3.5 manual GLS. Still stock standard. Lives on the original Gunbarrel Highway - watch this space to see how the Paj stands up to the corrugations!

Comment

• bakerboy
                "valued 3000+ member"
                • May 2008
                • Perth

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                Hi Mick - I live in the far north of SA and the roads are very rough. Now on my third set of Lightforce spots on my company vehicle. Nice and bright BUT they always crack where the focus adjusting screw thread is resulting in the spot dropping off. This is a very common problem out here. My personal vehicle has IPF, been on three vehicles over ten years with no problems.
                im guessing you run the 240 blitz or the 170s etc, rather than the xgts?
                If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• Zed
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Hunter Valley

I run the 240 XGT's for three years now and still going strong
                  Just has STD 100w globes.

Comment

• MarkJ
                    • Jul 2009
                    • Perth

I run the 170's - 1 in semi spot (so wound in about half way), the other with split beam cover.
                    Find it's a good balance of light - so not so much that when you turn them off for oncoming cars you can't see where you're going (because you're eyes are used to such bright light), and bright enough I get well over 100m of very well lit road/track/trail.

I used to have both set with split covers but lost one in thick bush - was brilliant spread of light for spotting the lesser known roo before it jumps out in front of you...

Think it's personnal preference but I prefer to have a spread to see the sides of the track rather than distant spot. Not sure what you guys find, but most of the roo's I see are at the side of the roads, not in it, so spots don't show as many as a decent spread beam and give you time to react.

I'm wary of HID's myself as they really are bright - dropping to low beam leaves your eyes struggling to see anything, and HID upgrades to your main beam are illegal in most states (and leave you with a bad beam because of the light source in a reflector not designed for them).

Would be interesting to see the 240's in action, the 170's give a lot of reflection from road signs, so assume the 240's do as well - do they run the same bulb as the 170's??

M

2004 NP. TJM bar, Premier winch, OME 2" lift, Snorkel, BFG A/T, TJM DBS (custom meters), Davis Brown uderbody, GME TX3440, 40lt H20 with 5lt 12v hot water, metered and pumped via quick connect on tow bar (so hot/cold, shower, carbon filtered drinking/cooking), LRA 81lt fuel, VMS Topo 2din Sat Nav, on-board ARB air with take off in bull bar (programable pressure switch controlled), 12v bull bar connector for solar. Kimberly MyCube root top + Star awning, usual Engel etc.

I need more gadgets...

Comment

• apsilon
                      Valued Member
                      • Feb 2008
                      • Hills District NSW

I have a set of 140 on ATM as I had them laying around. I'm really waiting for the Genesis to be released but I'm beginning to think it's been dropped as they haven't replied to my recent email asking for a new ETA. I have some other more important things to get first but if they're not out by the end of the year I'll get a set of 240s
                      MY09 NT Pajero X shortie diesel
                      Mods - No longer fit in my sig so see here

Comment

• bakerboy
                        "valued 3000+ member"
                        • May 2008
                        • Perth

no way they would be dropped, too much hype and the fill the size range that most people would like, ie bigger than 180s but not as big as 240s so they fit better, at the start of the yr they had a stuff up with the reflector making machine at their aussie plant so everything was pushed back

'89 NG Paj, 3L V6, now running 2" suspension lift, 33" Micky T Baja Claws's, Front LOKKA & 12,000lb winch

Comment

• apsilon
                          Valued Member
                          • Feb 2008
                          • Hills District NSW

Yeah and that was supposed to be resolved by Mar and it's now mid Aug and they're no longer responding to queries about them. Already a year behind schedule.

I agree it's a size that would be very welcome but how long does it take to fix a manufacturing fault? I've worked in manufacturing for 10 years now and IMO no way any problem takes this long to resolve. There's something else going on.
                          MY09 NT Pajero X shortie diesel
                          Mods - No longer fit in my sig so see here

Comment

• earlneath
                            • Feb 2009
                            • Sydney, NSW

Do I need a second battery if I put a pair of 170s on? What should I be looking to pay for one pair plus the anti-theft nuts and split covers?
                            2008 NS auto 3.2 DiD 25th Anniversary Edition LWB, ARB Deluxe Bullbar (colour coded), full set of Bushskinz bash plates, OEM Hitch Receiver, 2x Thule aero bars, Projecta "Storm" compressor (the pressure guage no longer works after using it only about 4 times). Set of Billsteins and Lovells

Comment

• bakerboy
                              "valued 3000+ member"
                              • May 2008
                              • Perth

from a quick search on google it sounds like some are in circulation already. as for the plant malfunction, seeing as it affected the entire light force range, no supply for weeks etc they would focus on getting the already existing models back in stock i guess

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X