• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitsubishi Australia
    • Feb 2016
    • Sydney

Recall 07MY to 16MY Pajero Information

Mitsubishi Motors Australia Limited (MMAL) will conduct a safety related Vehicle Recall Campaign under the FCAI Uniform Code of Practice to replace the driver’s front Takata airbag on 07MY to 16MY Pajero vehicles with a new airbag from an alternative supplier.

The defective airbag may release metallic fragments from the inflator container in the event the airbag is deployed, potentially causing injury to vehicle occupants. However, no failures or incidents have been reported in Australia, therefore MMAL have initiated this recall campaign as a precautionary measure.

Due to the large number of vehicles globally requiring replacement of Takata airbags, initially there will be a limited number of replacement parts available. MMAL will make initial contact and advise customers with affected vehicles by mail the week beginning 5th September 2016. As parts become available, customers will then be notified to contact their preferred Dealer and present their vehicle for retrofit.

If anyone has any queries we'd be more than happy to answer them for you here.
  • mr gus
    • Dec 2012
    • ne vic

I initially thought the Pajero might have had a different supplier of airbags but obviously not.

Just wondering why it had taken this long for a recall to be instigated when other manufacturers (Honda) have been doing it for months?
    NW Pajero VRX, Smartbar, Bushskinz x 5, Achilles XMT muddies, MM seatcover, Rhino crossbars, Diff breathers, 3 inch exhaust, rear shelf and diy parcel shelf.

Comment

• Stoneman
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2012
      • Melbourne

Originally posted by mr gus View Post
      I initially thought the Pajero might have had a different supplier of airbags but obviously not.

Just wondering why it had taken this long for a recall to be instigated when other manufacturers (Honda) have been doing it for months?
      That's an interesting question
      I thought the same thing

Maybe it was to distance themselves from other brands?
      NS Pajero Exceed. With stuff

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2016
        • Greater Sydney

There are 30,000,000 to be replaced across many brands world wide. A MM service adviser today told me the replacement bags will commence with the older vehicles that being the NS as the bags could be in a worse state.

Comment

• Mitsubishi Australia
          • Feb 2016
          • Sydney

We have been waiting on advice by our parent company MMC. Every manufacturer announces a recall when they have fully investigated the issue and have determined the root cause and then subsequently the fix. We have previously recalled other models due to this issue but have only just received official notification on Pajero, hence this recall.

Comment

• green troll
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2015
            • Adelaide

Recall 07MY to 16MY Pajero Information

Thank you MM for contact on this forum.

Don't want to start a thing in this thread, but did Mitsubishi swap suppliers to save a few $s?

I wasn't aware of the metal fragments. I thought the issue was with igniter being unstable? Ie the chemicals used were cheaper/inferior to what other airbag suppliers use.

Just wondering.

Comment

• Stoneman
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2012
              • Melbourne

Originally posted by Mitsubishi Australia View Post
              We have been waiting on advice by our parent company MMC. Every manufacturer announces a recall when they have fully investigated the issue and have determined the root cause and then subsequently the fix. We have previously recalled other models due to this issue but have only just received official notification on Pajero, hence this recall.
              Thanks for the reply

Better late than never

Comment

• mr gus
                • Dec 2012
                • ne vic

It appears the canisters can degrade over time (humidity, age etc) they can then release metal fragments when deployed if the canister is weakened sufficiently....

Don't quote me but it seems on the internet that some of them have a dessicant/dehydrating agent and the defective ones don't.....

Originally posted by green troll View Post
                Thank you MM for contact on this forum.

Don't want to start a thing in this thread, but did Mitsubishi swap suppliers to save a few $s?

I wasn't aware of the metal fragments. I thought the issue was with igniter being unstable? Ie the chemicals used were cheaper/inferior to what other airbag suppliers use.

Just wondering.
                NW Pajero VRX, Smartbar, Bushskinz x 5, Achilles XMT muddies, MM seatcover, Rhino crossbars, Diff breathers, 3 inch exhaust, rear shelf and diy parcel shelf.

Comment

• Mitsubishi Australia
                  • Feb 2016
                  • Sydney

There has been a lot of conflict relating to the root cause of the issue but an independent professional report has been done on this issue which details the full extent and cause.

Comment

• BruceandBobbi
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2016
                    • Greater Sydney

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/24/bu...says.html?_r=0

A volatile compound is being used as propellant in airbags made by Takata, the company behind the massive auto recall in the United States. Should it be?

Comment

• mr_bosman
                      • Oct 2014
                      • Warrnambool

Link to affected VINs

2012 NW Platinum Auto 3.2DiD, Colour Ironbark, with lots of other bits .......
                      http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=42467

Comment

• Stoneman
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2012
                        • Melbourne

Conflict,

By who?

Comment

• Pwoffey
                          Valued Member
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Adelaide

I note that MMA will recall the driver's side airbag of affected vehicles. Does this mean that the passenger (and other) airbags are of a different design?
                          BY13/MY14 Pajero NW GLX Auto, Cooper ST Maxx, factory towbar, Drifta drawers, SmartBar, Airtec snorkel, Koni Raid 90 front and 88 rear shocks with KIngs 34-HD springs front, 35-EHD rear, Brown Davis i/c, sump and transmission bash plates, Piranha diff breathers, Fuel Manager pre-filter, LRA 81L auxiliary fuel tank, Piranha steel battery tray, Sherpa 9500 lb winch, HPD catch can, LockUp Mate, Kaon cargo barrier, Harrop front e-locker, DBA T3 rotors and Xtreme pads, Mark's 4WD reduction gears

Comment

• PAJ30
                            • Oct 2011
                            • Townsville

So I had my car booked in to do the switch recall and as the airbag recall was announced I decide to kill 2 birds with one stone. Well was told you can not book in your vehicle until you receive the airbag recall letter. Once you have received the recall notice you will need to copy the front and back and send it to your local MM service providers and then they will order the part required to complete the recall. Even if they already have your information and Vin number thought it to be strange and question it and was told that's how it will be done
                            NS Cool Silver 25th Anniversary Edition with family pack. ARB Sahara bar with winch, dual batts, 2inch lift and 275/65R18's BFG Race pipe and HPD can and rear diff lock.

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

I suspect that, given the huge number of affected Pajeros, it will take a significant amount of time to source replacement airbags for all of them.

If risk increases with age, I expect Mitsubishi want to do the vehicles most at risk first, rather than replacing low-risk airbags opportunistically. Manage the process carefully to manage the risk.
                              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X