X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drew4x4
    • Nov 2008

Winch Isolator

Has anyone used an Isolator on the main feed to a winch?

I know it's easy to switch the control circuit of a winch but I would like to isolate the whole thing, I'm not sure if an isolator with a large enough capacity is readily available, any suggestions?
    2008 NS Pajero LWB Platinum DID,
    -ARB Dual Battery-ARB Fridge-ARB Compressor-ARB Rear Locker-OME 2"Lift -ARB Deluxe Bar-9000lb Warn Winch-Safari Snorkel-Aux Fuel Tank-IPF Driving Lights-Uniden UHF-Rhino Full length Roof Rack-Iron Man Awning-Diff breathers-Jayco Expanda Outback
  • whatsupkramer
    • Sep 2007
    • Muswellbrook

Drew

I do not have a winch but since I used to work in the mines as an electrician I had a bit to do with battery isolators.

For small equipment that did not needed to be locked out I used to use a hella battery isolator simular to this one

These are also used on boats, something like this will definitely be able to be used as the primary isolation point on the winch. Just place inline with the positive supply cable, mount where you want and place some rubber boots over the bolts where the cable is terminated.

Chris
    2008 NS 25th Anniversary 3.2L Auto - Mickey Thompson Baja STZ 265/60R18, Tow Bar, ARB Saraha Bar, Old Man Emu Nitro Charger Sport 2" lift.
    Limited Edition Mighty Bulloak Camper Trailer - All mods including a 2" lift.

Comment

• Eastie
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Vic

There are fancier versions of that shown by chris, the one I put in takes up a little less room and I found it easier to mount in the limited space the NS DiD has. I wasn't keen on leaving it without one given the winch is radio controlled.

it's a mini "M series" battery switch: http://www.12volt.com.au/General%20H...yswitches.html
      NS oil burner shorty

Comment

• m1s3ry
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Kalorama, VIC.

Just remember, whatever you buy, it needs to be able to handle 500-600 amps continuously, some winches draw a lot of power depending on how they are used.
        Steele Perkins (#1263)
        NP Pajero with added goodness..

Comment

• drew4x4
          • Nov 2008

This is what my concern has been is the capacity of what i've found is only around 200amps, the warn xd9000 runs at about 460amps at full load in a perfect world. Thanks for the info guys, I like the gear that the 12v Shop sells a very handy site to know of! I'll post some pics of the instal when it's complete.
          2008 NS Pajero LWB Platinum DID,
          -ARB Dual Battery-ARB Fridge-ARB Compressor-ARB Rear Locker-OME 2"Lift -ARB Deluxe Bar-9000lb Warn Winch-Safari Snorkel-Aux Fuel Tank-IPF Driving Lights-Uniden UHF-Rhino Full length Roof Rack-Iron Man Awning-Diff breathers-Jayco Expanda Outback

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X