• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky
    • Jul 2007
    • Gladstone, qld

Oils.

Hey guys. It's been a while since I've had a turbo diesel let alone a common rail and I was just wondering what everyone is using for engine oil. I've always serviced my vehicle at half the manufacturers intervals, so with 7,500k's on the new bus it's due.
    any input appreciated.
    Cheers, Mike.
    The story so far.....03 NP with fruit -Sold.
    My15 NX. ARB Steel Bar. LED spots. Dobinson MRR lift. Outback Exhaust Fat Pipe. Intervolt DC Pro Dual Battery setup. Provent. SPi module. MM4X4 Lockup Mate, Paddle Mate & Paddle Shift. Mako 12,000 winch with Dyneema.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!
  • MatthewP
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2014
    • North of Brisbane

I use Castrol RX Super in my Pajero, I used it in my old Common rail Rodeo, and in my hilux before that.
    I have never had a reason to change.
    Always had minimal oil usage between changes.

Other oils I have heard good things about are Caltex Delo 400, Shell Rimula and Mobil Delvac.
    although if you are doing changes more often, it may not be worth paying more for synthetic or semi synthetic over a mineral oil.

Below is a post by someone named Whizzo, that I copied from another forum, that describes the same oils, so I thought I would copyclip it here.
    I cant remember the details.....but just for chuckles.
    down load the spec seets for all 3..and the top 3 diesel spec oils Rimula, Devlac and Dello.

Look for the the different oil spec codes that all comply with.

ALL oil companies...and I mean ALL.....sell fancy retail branded oils, with copious amounts of advertsing spin for a great deal more than their well proven and industry respected commercially targeted diesel spec oil.
    The people running big fleets of big trucks will not cop any BS...and they wont tolerate being ripped either....they buy this stuff by the 44 and the engines they run cost more than your whole car to rebuild.

As I have said many times before...you cant go wring with either of the three top diesel spec oils.....Rimula, Devlac or Dello ( in no particular order)....RX Super is not quite as good as the top3....maybee one short step behind...but RX super is no slouch of an oil.

If you are looking at saving cost......you must buy by the 20 litre and buy where the truckies buy.

If ya paying more than $100 for a 20 litre drum for any of the above 4 you are not shopping well......My last drum of Dello 400 cost me $85.

While you are at it, buy ya filters where the truckies do....look for brands like Fleet guard, Sakura or Donaldson......you will pay less for a better filter.

Check it out.....prove me right....and tell everybody you know....save ya mate some money.....I do.

Discovering diesel spec oils and a Truck shop filters, was one of my major mechanical epifinaies.

cheers Whizzo

Matt
    05 NP Pajero Platinum 3.2DID Auto

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by Stinky View Post
      Hey guys. It's been a while since I've had a turbo diesel let alone a common rail and I was just wondering what everyone is using for engine oil. I've always serviced my vehicle at half the manufacturers intervals, so with 7,500k's on the new bus it's due.
      any input appreciated.
      Cheers, Mike.

Yours is a brand new vehicle so you would be a fool not to get the best oil. I use Valvoline full synthetic in my Nw. Have done from new (1st oil change at 1500klms). Now mine is not the only oil you can use but it is the oil I selected after researching. Others use Nulon, Castrol and Penrite with confidence.

Just keep searching thru the oil threads on this forum and you will be able to decide what oil you select. If you are really worried about having a new vehicle you could always buy the MM oil from a dealer and use that when you do your oil changes.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• _jp_
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2013
        • Adelaide Hills, SA

I also use Valvoline Fully Synthetic in my NW same as Dicko1.

I do intermittent (7500km) changes myself and also provide the oil to the dealer for the scheduled servicing.
        NW GLXR - SOLD
        --------------
        EVO 6 TME

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

I also use Valvoline Synpower Full Synthetic & supply my own oil to the dealer for servicing, as I believe it is better to use the same oil long term rather than mixing different types (about 1 litre stays in the oil cooler system after draining).

Buy the best full syn oil for your $50,000+ investment. Keep an eye out for specials at places like Supercheap, Repco, etc., & buy in advance when 30% to 40% off. That way, you get the best for less than the dealer charges for their bulk drum of who knows what.
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• littleriver
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2013
            • Queensland

we also use Valvoline Syn (5w 40)
            what grade/viscosity of Valvoline are use using in your pajeros/challengers ?

I heard somewhere that the dealers are using Castrol that is branded MM oil ...

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Stinky
              • Jul 2007
              • Gladstone, qld

Rang the local dealer and they are using Castrol Diesel Magnatec 15/40. I'll use the same for the time being.
              Cheers, Mike.
              The story so far.....03 NP with fruit -Sold.
              My15 NX. ARB Steel Bar. LED spots. Dobinson MRR lift. Outback Exhaust Fat Pipe. Intervolt DC Pro Dual Battery setup. Provent. SPi module. MM4X4 Lockup Mate, Paddle Mate & Paddle Shift. Mako 12,000 winch with Dyneema.

I'm the boss of my marriage.....my wife said i could say that!

Comment

• littleriver
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2013
                • Queensland

Originally posted by Stinky View Post
                Rang the local dealer and they are using Castrol Diesel Magnatec 15/40. I'll use the same for the time being.
                Cheers, Mike.
                if that's the case buy your own oil when it's on special and bring it in when you get the service done (might save you a few $$$ off the price of servicing)....

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Quietguy
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Forster, NSW

[QUOTE=littleriver;478490]if that's the case buy your own oil when it's on special and bring it in when you get the service done (might save you a few $$$ off the price of servicing)....

I use Nulon Synthetic 5/30 in my NW - I provide the dealer with it when they do the service, and he takes $100 off the Fixed price service

David

Comment

• pajaj70
                    • Apr 2016
                    • Melbourne

Dropped by my local Mitsubishi dealer recently to find out the oil used so I can get my local mechanic to change when I reach 7500km. They use Castrol diesel magnatec 15w-40, so I will go with this as I don't want to cross contaminate with brands or viscosities. Price for 10 litres in supercheap is pretty good, even better with 20% sales.
                    NX 2016 GLX , Boos bash plates, catch can and flashlube primary filter.

Comment

• Jan 2016
                      • adelaide

engine oil is on sale now at supercheap auto
                      Castrol Magnatec Diesel Engine Oil - 5W-40, 10 Litre @$66.49
                      Castrol Magnatec Diesel Engine Oil - 15w-40, 10 Litre @$55.91
                      Castrol RX Diesel Engine Oil - 15W-40, 20 Litre @$77.61
                      Castrol RX Super Engine Oil - 15W-40, 20 Litre @$90.30

should I stick with magnatec 15w 40?or change to rx super as recommended in above post?having doubt because
                      Ive heard bad things about magnatec petrol engine oil,
                      my car is my16 nx,and Im new to diesel engine oil.would like to do 7500km oil change myself.any advice?

Comment

• spot01
                        Valued Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • Adelaide

I prefer not to mix different oils (as it never all drains out of the oil cooler), so I'd either use what the dealer will be using (ask - probably a known brand & type) or supply the same oil you decide on to the dealer when servicing (make sure they will reduce your Capped Price service accordingly).

Most importantly, make sure what you choose meets the full specification in the handbook.
                        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• green troll
                          Valued Member
                          • Aug 2015
                          • Adelaide

Think I read a few negative posts on magnatec oils. Also my mechanic mate said use anything other then magnatec( could be biased) . Lol. I use nulon fully syn 5/30. My mate did say that's overkill and any good mineral or semi syn oil will suffice. (If you don't have DPF)

Comment

• Jan 2016
                            • adelaide

alright,might just stick with what the dealer use,cheers

Comment

• ronfire
                              • Jun 2015
                              • Perth, WA

Had the first service recently and the dealer used Shell Helix 10W-40. Too many things going on at work so I neglected to check with them before else I would have asked why the 5w-40 was not used. I notice no one on here appears to have mentioned using any Shell oils. Are there any issues with Shell oils?
                              2015 NX GLX Auto stock, SPV EGR mod, Parkside towbar, no other mods....yet.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X