• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Friction Nut
    • Mar 2015
    • Healesville, Vic

EGR mod

Hi all..

Ok, so I think I've read all the posts on here about EGR mods but I'm just not sure on a few small things prior to jumping in. Hopefully some of you can shed some light and steer me in the right direction.

I've got an NX, one of the first built, so it's got about 10000 km on it now. Now I probably should have done this mod the day I picked it up, but better late than never, eh.

Firstly, I need to know, is an oil catch can required with the EGR mod? I'm not mechanically minded and can't quite see the picture of how things are plumbed, and whether or not it's necessary.

Secondly, is there any difference between the SPV EGR device, and the Chip Tuning EGR device? Or are they the same, maybe I'm missing something here.

Many Thanks in advance.

FN
    2014 NX. ARB Bullbar. Factory tow bar, SPV EGR mod, Donaldson 3 micron- post factory filter, HPD Catch Can, Bushskinz sump, intercooler and transmission guard, stedi ST3K light bar, X-ray vision 220 HID, GME 3350 UHF, Bilstien and Kings awaiting fitment, otherwise stock as a rock.
  • Matty_P
    • May 2014
    • Bayside Brisbane QLD

Hi F.N.

I have the SPV plug n play on my NS and its a quick and easy fix that doesn't require any technical know how.

I also have the Catch Can and a range of other mods as the NS is a different beast with the much beloved DPF.....(PITA...POS...WTF!!!)

I had the catch can installed before i found out about the SPV solution. I have also had to have the inlet manifold removed and cleaned and NT manifold update done.

My understanding is if you have the SPV plug n play installed you wouldn't require the oil catch can as the EGR is permanently closed and not recycling the burnt fuel and crap back through the inlet manifold.

The catch can would assist if you dont have an EGR block of any description (SPV or blanking plate) or even the blanking plate with a small hole in it as some members have.

Dont know about the Chipit EGR device only know about their DPF delete which i would love but spent WAY TOO much money getting the NS back to reliable.

Comment

• Smallfry
      • Apr 2014
      • Bowen Qld

Can someone post up the link or email address to obtain the SPV plug?
      2014 Black VRX NW Pajero - ARB Winch Bar, Dual Battery, Hayman Reese H/Duty Tow kit inc Electric Brake module, Engel 40L Fridge, Sunroof, Tint, Boo's Bash Plates, IPF Spotlights, Kings HD Springs & Bilstein shocks 2" Lift, 58L LRA Aux Fuel Tank, AOB Quad Breather kit, Fuel Manager 2u secondary fuel filter, 120amp Anderson outlet, Roo Systems RTT, GME TX3520W 80ch UHF,Stedi Fog/DRL, Redarc Pyro & Battery gauges, Western Filters Catch Can, 150W Solar Blanket, still in progress

Comment

• Matty_P
        • May 2014
        • Bayside Brisbane QLD

[email protected]

Comment

• Smallfry
          • Apr 2014
          • Bowen Qld

Originally posted by Matty_P View Post
          Thanks
          2014 Black VRX NW Pajero - ARB Winch Bar, Dual Battery, Hayman Reese H/Duty Tow kit inc Electric Brake module, Engel 40L Fridge, Sunroof, Tint, Boo's Bash Plates, IPF Spotlights, Kings HD Springs & Bilstein shocks 2" Lift, 58L LRA Aux Fuel Tank, AOB Quad Breather kit, Fuel Manager 2u secondary fuel filter, 120amp Anderson outlet, Roo Systems RTT, GME TX3520W 80ch UHF,Stedi Fog/DRL, Redarc Pyro & Battery gauges, Western Filters Catch Can, 150W Solar Blanket, still in progress

Comment

• KP3560
            • Apr 2010
            • Morgan SA

Great Service

Originally posted by Matty_P View Post
            Ordered from SPV and item arrived within 48 hours, great service

Comment

• Friction Nut
              • Mar 2015
              • Healesville, Vic

Hi Guys. Thanks for that info. Have spoken to tony and will order within next few days.

So has anyone else got any info on whether the catch can is still necessary with the EGR not operating? Matty P, my thinking and understanding is the same as yours but when I spoke with Chip Tuning in Sydney they said it was a separate system so I should do both. Which confused me.

Cheers

F.N.
              2014 NX. ARB Bullbar. Factory tow bar, SPV EGR mod, Donaldson 3 micron- post factory filter, HPD Catch Can, Bushskinz sump, intercooler and transmission guard, stedi ST3K light bar, X-ray vision 220 HID, GME 3350 UHF, Bilstien and Kings awaiting fitment, otherwise stock as a rock.

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

Catch can is not necessary if you've disabled the EGR. The carbon buildup happens when you get a mixture of exhaust and oil. Take away the carbon from the exhaust and all you're left wih is a tiny amount of oil which won't do any harm at all.
                Chris

Comment

• Morcs
                  • Jun 2015
                  • under a rock

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
                  Catch can is not necessary if you've disabled the EGR. The carbon buildup happens when you get a mixture of exhaust and oil. Take away the carbon from the exhaust and all you're left wih is a tiny amount of oil which won't do any harm at all.
                  Um no a catch can is warranted as without it it sends the oil into the turbo and then into the intercooler...

Oil is a fairly good heat insulator and after time intercooler becomes less efficient over time.

It's a boosted engine and will always be an amount of blowby the rings and into the crankcase and therefore into the inlet of the turbo in this case.

Comment

• Dicko1
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Cairns, FNQ

I have just put up a new thread showing oils from pro vent at 6000klms.

Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

I have looked at your photos, DickO, and whilst I don't like the idea of oil circulating back into the engine like that, I don't think it is too bad. What does scare me is that the oil mist will be burnt as it hits the turbo blades, and then what happens after that? I guess that it is such a small amount of oil and air compared to what is going thru the engine, it doesn't really matter that much. I am still wavering about fitting a catch can to my vehicle - I have the EGR fixed so that is the main thing.

Comment

• Dicko1
                        Valued Member
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by erad View Post
                        I have looked at your photos, DickO, and whilst I don't like the idea of oil circulating back into the engine like that, I don't think it is too bad. What does scare me is that the oil mist will be burnt as it hits the turbo blades, and then what happens after that? I guess that it is such a small amount of oil and air compared to what is going thru the engine, it doesn't really matter that much. I am still wavering about fitting a catch can to my vehicle - I have the EGR fixed so that is the main thing.

No worries. Your money, your car.

cheers
                        Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Friction Nut
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Healesville, Vic

Looks like a few different schools of thought here. I'm not mechanically minded in any way, which is why I posed the question, but it seems to me that oil is somehow getting through the system via another route, (I.e, around the EGR system).

Dickos photos prove that. But Erad, does pose a good question. What happens once it hits the turbo blades? Is this where it gets baked and forms a black corrosive powder like substance? If this is the case, I think the catch can may be a worthy addition to the EGR controller.

Dicko, do you have the electronic controller, or a blank plate with a hole drilled in it?

F.N.
                          Last edited by Friction Nut; 11-07-15, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

I have the SPV mod. Just realise though that the blanking plate or spv unit has nothing to do with the pro-vent mixture flow. 2 separate systems.
                            Dicko. FNQ

Comment

• Friction Nut
                              • Mar 2015
                              • Healesville, Vic

Yep, ok, that's what Chip tuning said. I thought typically a catch can was installed as a legal alternative to the EGR controller, which is why I thought that if you have an EGR controller or blank plate fitted, then you wouldn't need the catch can

So, if they are two separate systems, where is the catch can supposed to be plumbed in? Perhaps there is more than one place a catch can can be installed, depending on where one wants to intercept the oil flow. Would I be correct in saying that or am I looking in too deep.

If someone could post some photos they would be much appreciated.

F.N.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X