• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SWF
    • Feb 2015
    • Mandurah, Western Australia

My NX GLX

So, I pick up my very first Pajero on Friday the 13th (fingers crossed it's not an omen!! Lol). I'm madly trying to learn as much as I can about Pajeros so I can turn my new baby into a safe and capable customised tourer for me and my two kids to explore Oz. I'm not new to 4WDing, but my last truck was a GUIV Patrol, so aftermarket toys weren't really much of an issue. Info seemed to be a little easier to get also.

Couple of questions I'm hoping can be answered (please forgive my naitivity). What kind of gearbox does the Manual NX run? I'm getting a towball fitted (and the obligatory rear wheel lift) by the dealer before taking ownership. Should I be asking for a tow pack or does the installation of a towball automatically get me what I need? Is the gearbox upgraded? Does it need to be? I'm not planning on towing anything yet, but as I'm also planning on keeping the car for a long while, should I be scouting around for a stronger gearbox?

I'd love to fit a snorkel. Anyone recommend which one to go for?

I've read some threads about a second battery. I'd prefer to fit a full sized battery (love my beers being cold and my water hot). Are there any issues I should be looking into? I'll be installing the second battery myself (with lots of help from a mate). I've heard the Pajero wiring should be left well alone.

Don't get me wrong - I'm that excited about my new baby. Just want to learn as much as I can. If you can help, I'd realky appreciate it.

Cheers! Peta.
    NX GLX Manual, Safari Snorkel, Redarc BCDC Charger and Dual Battery System, Long Ranger Auxiliary Tank, Coupletec, Rhino Roof Bars
  • Rovingman
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2014
    • Blue mountains

Congrats and welcome this the forum.
    I would look at breathers all round whilst you get a snorkel. No point swimming if the driveline and gearbox gets flooded.
    TJM seem to be the fan favorite for snorkels.
    Underbody protection is a must for off road as your lines will be different compared to your GU.

2nd battery options are in abunsance, all depends on your budget. You don't need hot water by power just boil it for showers. Beer must be cold though so I would recommend the biggest Ah battery you can afford and then work out how your gonna charge it.
    You will fit a good size battery in the 3rd row rear seat well compared to under the bonnet.
    Forum is awesome make sure you read all about what you want to do.
    Pajero NT RX 2011
    Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
    LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• TC.Barky
      Valued Member
      • Oct 2011
      • Melbourne

Best bet for dual battery is to swap starter to aux position as it means you can fit a full size battery as your second
      MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
      Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• nervis
        Valued Member
        • Mar 2009
        • Central West NSW

Ccongrats on your new Paj, I have the same (GLX Manual)

I dont know who makes it but your gearbox will be fine. I have never heard of one failing. Have a look under your car, they gearbox is HUGE. Was the box an issue in the Patrol?

TJM or Safari for snorkel, personally I hate the Safari so went TJM.

I would speak with your dealer to confirm they will install your tow pack and add a ball, usually they will throw in a tow ball, they have for the the last 3 cars anyway.

Dual battery setup will require a DC-DC charger as the NX runs a smart alternator. There is a thread on the forum here somewhere about it.
        Mick: MY15 NX GLX Manual DID, SprintBooster, EGR blank, Redarc remote EBC on factory loom, GME UHF, TJM Snorkel.

Comment

• dbdb
          • Aug 2008
          • Adelaide Hills

The boss tray from FNB 4x4 will fit a full size (12 inch) battery.
          14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
          04 NP GLX now gone

Pajero Service Manual link

Comment

• SWF
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Rovingman View Post
            Congrats and welcome this the forum.
            I would look at breathers all round whilst you get a snorkel. No point swimming if the driveline and gearbox gets flooded.
            TJM seem to be the fan favorite for snorkels.
            Underbody protection is a must for off road as your lines will be different compared to your GU.

2nd battery options are in abunsance, all depends on your budget. You don't need hot water by power just boil it for showers. Beer must be cold though so I would recommend the biggest Ah battery you can afford and then work out how your gonna charge it.
            You will fit a good size battery in the 3rd row rear seat well compared to under the bonnet.
            Forum is awesome make sure you read all about what you want to do.
            Thanks! I'm counting sleeps now. Lol

Thanks for the heads up about the breathers. I've always thought snorkels were more for cleaner air than water (day to day anyway) but good to know I'll be right in water too with breathers. Cheers! No TJM in my town, but a drive to Perth seems to on the cards.

Underbody bash plates are on the list when I can afford them. Heard MM ones are a bit soft though, so I'll hunt around.

Stupid question, but if a second battery goes in the third row seat well, does that mean the 3rd row won't fit in there anymore? Leaning more towards battery under bonnet.

Thanks for your info!
            NX GLX Manual, Safari Snorkel, Redarc BCDC Charger and Dual Battery System, Long Ranger Auxiliary Tank, Coupletec, Rhino Roof Bars

Comment

• SWF
              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by nervis View Post
              Ccongrats on your new Paj, I have the same (GLX Manual)

I dont know who makes it but your gearbox will be fine. I have never heard of one failing. Have a look under your car, they gearbox is HUGE. Was the box an issue in the Patrol?

TJM or Safari for snorkel, personally I hate the Safari so went TJM.

I would speak with your dealer to confirm they will install your tow pack and add a ball, usually they will throw in a tow ball, they have for the the last 3 cars anyway.

Dual battery setup will require a DC-DC charger as the NX runs a smart alternator. There is a thread on the forum here somewhere about it.
              Thanks! No, no trouble with GU gearbox. Just saw something on TV about H and R gearboxes and, as I know absolutely nothing about them, thought I'd ask. Good to know that there shouldn't be any issues.

I'm getting the towbar fitted, but not the tow pack. Is there any advantage? I'll happily pay the extra if it's a good idea.

Thanks for the heads up about the alternator. I've read the thread and am watching it with baited breath.

Cheers!

Comment

• SWF
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by dbdb View Post
                The boss tray from FNB 4x4 will fit a full size (12 inch) battery.
                Is this difficult to install myself? I've got a mate helping (who know much more than me).

Cheers!

Comment

• Scouter1
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2013
                  • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by SWF View Post
                  Stupid question, but if a second battery goes in the third row seat well, does that mean the 3rd row won't fit in there anymore? Leaning more towards battery under bonnet.
                  The third seat well is a pretty snug fit for the seat and headrests when folded down. If you fit anything bulky into the well (battery, compressor, air / water tank etc) you won't be able to fold the seats down. This means removing them out of the vehicle and storing elsewhere when not in use.

I looked at putting battery in the seat well but decided I need the third row seats more so ended up fitting battery under the bonnet in a auxiliary tray.

Cheers,
                  Stephen
                  2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• sam.cath
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Sunshine Coast

I recently fitted an auxiliary battery under the bonnet in my NT.
                    Didn't worry about swapping positions with the starter battery to fit a larger deep cycle in the old starter battery position ( as some do in this forum)

I went with a tray from Offroad down under (link below):
                    Vehicle/Models: Mitsubishi Pajero NM to NT , NW, NX Year:  2002 to 2021 Engines: 3.2lt Turbo Diesel Engine CDI & DI-D Registered Post Australia wide $22.00

& with a yellow-top Optima 55aH for $255 direct from Optima on Ebay.

This is more than enough to run our car fridge for any trip we'll ever do & it keeps the third row of seats just in case.

Let me know if you're keen for some pics & I can upload them. I installed the dual second battery tray myself- it comes with instructions & everything you need to bolt straight in existing holes. My skill set isn't high either, so anyone could do it!

Hope that this helps.

Cheers,
                    Sam
                    2018 NX DI-D PAJERO GLS

Fuel Manager secondary fuel filter

Comment

• Hatto
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2013
                      • Mandurah WA

Hey SWF. Good to see someone else from this fantastic town of ours!
                      From what iv'e read there is more similarities between the NX and NW models than differences so the Generation 4-3 section should give you a lot of info that will be relevant to your model. Happy motoring and welcome to the forum
                      Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                      ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• KiwiNTPajero
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2014
                        • Wellington,New Zealand

Originally posted by 0415discog View Post
                        Hey SWF. Good to see someone else from this fantastic town of ours!
                        From what iv'e read there is more similarities between the NX and NW models than differences so the Generation 4-3 section should give you a lot of info that will be relevant to your model. Happy motoring and welcome to the forum
                        generally arent ns nt nw nx very very similar driveline and body wise ?
                        2009 NT GLS(NZ) diesel LWB auto
                        BFG AT,Rhino Rack Vortex Bars,Foxwing Eco Awning,BUSHSKINZ I/C, sump guards and steps

"do not check the button for faster communication, this will throw a wobbly with some dongles"

Comment

• dbdb
                          • Aug 2008
                          • Adelaide Hills

Originally posted by SWF View Post
                          Is this difficult to install myself? I've got a mate helping (who know much more than me).

Cheers!
                          It's not difficult to fit the tray, it bolts up to existing mount points. A bit fiddly reaching the one under the tray closest to the motor, but that's all. Especially if you have a mate with more skills
                          14 NW GLX-R automatic, dual battery, Icom 440 UHF, redarc tow pro, Bushskinz bash plates, light bar, Dobinsons suspension, HPD front mount intercooler, ARB bull bar and other stuff.
                          04 NP GLX now gone

Pajero Service Manual link

Comment

• Hatto
                            Valued Member
                            • Nov 2013
                            • Mandurah WA

Originally posted by KiwiNTPajero View Post
                            generally arent ns nt nw nx very very similar driveline and body wise ?
                            probably, I'm just referring to the NW cos thats what I've got
                            Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
                            ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• SWF
                              • Feb 2015

So, no car yet. Have to wait ANOTHER two weeks. In the meantime, did some ordering for my new baby instead:

Duel battery system (under bonnet)
                              Long range fuel tank
                              Snorkel
                              Diff Breathers

I'll wait until this all goes on, as well as the much-anticipted Bar from ARB, before I decide on suspension upgrades.

Really want a roof console for my GME 4500 (from current vehicle) and like the Outbacks, but apparently they aren't offering an NX compatible. Interior somebody or other does, but I don't like the look of them. Any opinions?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X