• Show
Clear All
  • Pajero_Pete
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Adelaide Hills

NP Replacement AM/FM aerial

Hi all,
    I have replaced 2 of the original powered antennas on my NP and am loath to replace again ( first 2 brokendue to off road bush/trees - this one due to wanting a footy score - in a carwash - DOH !!! not quick enough to turn off when the arm returned & bent over ... anyway )

What I am wanting to do is replace it this time with a more robust flexible type that will stay up. Has anyone completed this upgrade ?? Is it a simple task ?
    Any help much apprciated.

cheers PP
    Great little Io then NL dual fuel then my first DiD NP followed by an NS DiD and now an NT RX DiD in the shed
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

Did you just replace the mast? Pretty simple job.
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Gus
      Administrator
      • Mar 2008
      • Traralgon. Vic

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
      Did you just replace the mast? Pretty simple job.
      & you can get masts through Auto Barn cheaper than gen too..sorry was 3yrs ago so can't remember price. So don't replace whole thing as mrbitchi says very simple do it yourself job...
      VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
      NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• swordfishBob
        • May 2008

Agree, I've replaced a mast. The bottom end of the previous one was jammed/gummed and took some persuading to get out, but once I did, fitting the new mast was easy.
        It helps if you have a suitable tool for the nut on top.

Comment

• green monster
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Adelaide

my one is buggered too, i have a small UHF aerial and have been toying with the idea of mounting it behind the spare wheel ,running some coaxial to the radio and see if that works better ?? Obviously the old aerial will be down all the time
          any thaughts ?
          cheers cam
          NX ARB bar totally stock,, for now and the trusty old NM Exceed ,Injected LPG. ARB Sahara bar 12000lb Tigerz11winch,Lightforce genisis ,2x stealth LED bars, rear LED reverse light, GU Patrol black wheels 32"BFGs ,custom alloy roof rack with twin awnings,, snorkel, Milford barrier, custom rear storage ,triple batteries,fridge slide,Pioneer touchscreen unit, 50L Waeco,UHF,lots of scratches down the sides, new super powerful engine!,bash plates, 3" lift,polyairs Dobinsons,extractors ,Maxtrax

Comment

• dolphin
            Valued Member
            • Jan 2008

years ago i did fit a flexible rubber type radio antenna that did work very well, they are very flexible and short in length [ 20 to 30 cms ] inside is a coil that adds boost.
            NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• swordfishBob
              • May 2008

A UHF antenna isn't suited to AM-FM broadcast radio. Replacing a mast is easy if that's all the problem is: Undo the nut, radio on, remove mast, insert new mast, fit nut, turn radio on and off a few times.
              I can source masts, complete motorised assembles, adhesive window strip antennas, and a converter that adapts your rear demister (no idea how well it works), but don't know where to get a rubber-ducky for broadcast radio.

Comment

• dolphin
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2008

normal broadcast am / fm antennas are just an extened piece of wire so to speak, just how our vehicle antenna / airiels are made. look at the old coat hanger replacement job when someone busted your airiel off, worked fine other than the looks. with the rubber ducky type antennas of say 30 cm,s in length there is a coated coil of copper wire inside that would equal approx 1 meter in length when straightened out just the same as our normal telecopic antenna. am / fm is no worries.
                NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.

Comment

• Chris S
                  • Nov 2008

I replace the arial mast on my NM pajero over the weekend (thanks to posts on this forum). I bought and after market mast from Auto Barn in Sunshine Victoria for $59, far cheaper than the $125 quoted by MM. They also quoted me $75 to replace, which obviously I saved by doing it myself.
                  NM Exceed Silver

Comment

• Pathy
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Wondai QLD

We sell the rubber ducky style at work for about $25, fit them to the tractors, but the recption is crap. Wouldn't fit them to a car.
                    Marc
                    1st month 2004 GLS Pajero 3.2 diesel, auto, ecb bullbar, compact ralley 4000's, towbar,Kings Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Pirelli ATR's,Homemade Bash Plates, Homemade Diff breathers.

Comment

• KIRKY
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Croydon

Np antenna

Giday.
                      Went to auto barn today to grab an insert for my antenna, there book only lists up to 2002 no 2003 NP or onwards, has any changed one of these? does the early model fit? also my old one can out with about 6" of plastic showing, how do I gey to the rest to pull it out when it doesn't show.
                      with regards,
                      Kirky.
                      Built 3/3/03 arrived home 3/3/06 slow but steady, all lit up behind. Also adopted a 2010 Triton GLX-R DID ALL NEW SO NO TOUCH YET. At home 20 ft. Coromal van with full ensuite and off road pack. Onyx blue 2016 Land Cruiser Sahara, V8 diesel, waiting in the blocks to burst out.

Comment

• brett
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007

You need an Aerpro AP262, it's listed as NM 2000 on but fit's an NP, I put one in a few months ago no problems. You'll probably have to pull the unit out though to get the broken plastic cord out. Never had to do this I normally snap the mast before the cord wears out.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X