• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hobbo
    Valued Member
    • May 2009
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Buying a PA

I've got a mate who is looking to buy a 2000 PA Challenger V6 Auto on LPG with 250k on the clock, the question is what are the things to look for and other known faults? They are asking about $7,ooo for it. Thanks in Advance.
    NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.
  • whitehillbillies
    • May 2013
    • Northern NSW.Australia

Hi Hobbo,
    I bought my 98 PA V6 petrol Auto, at the start of the year, service history. with 218,000 on the clock, with receipts, which showed plugs/ leads, timing belt plus pulleys and water pump, done at 196,000 klms. These need doing every 100,000. Also both fan belts had been done.
    6 months Rego, with tyres that needed replacing before re registered. Heavy Duty Tow hitch, with a P2 Electric Brake Controller. Paint/Body work and interior in good condition. Ice cold air.
    I paid $4,000, Cash ( That what I offered, and walked away, after price asking was at $6,000 ) Got to the end of the driveway.
    About a month ago I found RUST in the passenger side Chassis rail. It had been hidden.
    On inspection, it appeared the drain holes were to small allowing what ever got in, once these holes were blocked, to stay in, on this side of the car.
    I don't know if this is a common problem.
    A small camera was used inside the chassis rail and all the crap was cleaned out. It was plated up, drilled with large drain holes and pumped with rust kill.
    Once home the first thing done was a full oil change, including oil and air filters, Transmission Oil, front diff oil and the correct oil in the rear, for the LSD. Also all the nipples pumped with grease.
    The Plastic radiator was replaced with a new one ( the top fitting broke away trying to get the hose off ) Flushed and new coolant added.
    Fuel consumption was a bit high. I Found the Oxygen sensor had broken away from its fitting, and needed replacing, Also the Cat converter in the exhaust system, was blowing black soot out the 4 corners, so it to was replaced. Was getting, after repairs 12.5/100 Now averaging 11/ 100, after changing to 98 premium from 95 unleaded. Now I save $10 per tank.
    The original KYB shocks had lasted 218,000 klm's so replaced with KYB's
    As for problems.
    Oil leaks start as the rubber gaskets/ 'O' rings harden up. These include the 2 Cam shaft seals, at the rear of the motor.
    The rocker cover gasket can start to go hard, and start leaking.
    Also the spark plug tube seals can leak, causing the plug to be soaked in oil. ( just had to do these on my 2000 V6 Petrol Auto Delica )
    The seals, plug and leads are not easy to do you self, as per other motors, but only need doing every 100,000 klms
    Some good info on this site, for doing the above.
    Replaced the rear Tail Gate struts today with a set from StrutsRUs, Nerang. They were at Murwillumbah show. $ 99 pair/ free postage. 2 year warranty. Tail Gate opens by its self. Very happy with this product.
    Hope this is of some assistance.

whitehillbillies

Comment

• hobbo
      Valued Member
      • May 2009

Thats Brilliant! I'll tell my mate what to look out for but I think he'll get me to go over it, does this model have the same motor as the Pajero NM? I used to own one of those and I rate them highly but they are a pain and expensive to do those 100k services! He might get it a fair bit cheaper from what you paid for yours. Thanks again.
      NP 05 Platinum Edition, 3.2 DiD Auto, Extra H/D 50mm Kings, Garmin GPS, Waeco 40, Turbo Smart Boost Gauge, Lambwool Covers, Kumo Tyres, Rock Sliders Pending, Surrey Downs Adelaide Sth Aust.

Comment

• Bundyk
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2012
        • North Nowra

No, the PA Challenger uses a SOHC 24 valve 6G72 (3.0).
        Cheers, Bundy.

Currently: 2001 NM GLS MY2002 3.5 V6 Manual, Bullbar, GME TX3520, Falken Wildpeak A/T02 LT265/70/16, Pacemaker extractors, KYB Skorched 4's, Villain Lighting 22" lightbar, Bushskinz Front and sump guard, Pioneer 7" screen

Items to be fitted: ARB 2.5 x 2.1 awning.

Items to be purchased: Bushskinz- Gearbox/Transfer plates and sliders, Roof racks, Safari Snorkel, Lifted Springs, maybe more...

Comment

• hobbo
          Valued Member
          • May 2009

OK, thanks for that, would they be LPG compatable? As this one the mate's looking at is on Gas, I heard the Early motors were no good for Gas, Is that correct?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X