• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Nearmap, RIP

I tried to log in today. Looks like the personal use license has gone by the wayside since early December.

$5K for a single state user licence P/A

Can I still access PhotoMaps for free?

Coinciding with the introduction of PhotoMaps Standard, all free access to nearmap has now ended. We hope you have enjoyed using PhotoMaps for free and encourage you to consider a subscription and to complete the enquiry form below.

Shame I didn't download a heap beforehand.

RIP
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys
  • Aussie_Dan
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2010
    • Cairns

Yeah, sucks doesn't it....
    2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• CraigFox
      • Jun 2010
      • Happy Valley SA

Sure does! the history alone was great to see how things changed over the years.

Hopefully someone (Google or similar) will come to the party. I have even deleted Nearmap from my favourites!
      Foxy

2010 NT Did Auto ACTiV. MM Tow Bar. ARB Bar, 50mm Raised Suspension, BFG A/T's, Tinted Windows, Red Arc remote head brake controller, Uniden UHF, Airtec Snorkel, Rhino Pioneer Basket, 81litre Long Range Tank (finally!!)

Bushskinz under body still to come one day.

Comment

• Downunder35m
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2011
        • Near Melbourne

Since I was a regular for several years I asked the support some time ago about the reasons.
        They claim that due to the pictures taken from planes the amount of man hours, fuel and caring for the planes needs to be paid so they can contiue.
        I can understand that but the second reason is a slap in the face:
        Nermap claimes their personal licenses are cancelled because of the huge volumes of date freeloaders produce on a regular base.
        This alone would be costs (for servers and bandwidth) of over 5grand a month.
        For me it is hard to beleive as that would mean Nearmap had thausands of free users downloading the whole country again and again.
        During my last log in early Nov the coverage for city areas had improoved a bit but for rural areas it was still bad quality compared to Google.

Even if the picture quality is not as good I'm back to Mobac and Google terrain maps until I find something cheap to get access to Nearmap again.
        I guess they finally realised that AU has no gouvernment mapping service and that their data is often over 10 years old. Getting gouvernment and sience into the boat meant prices that make other gis data providers look like a 2$ store.
        '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
        Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• sharkcaver
          • May 2009
          • Perth

Footnote:

Just had a play and I see hypertile is still functioning

For the time being anyway.......

big download coming up
          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Downunder35m
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2011
            • Near Melbourne

That is really good news, just checked and confirmed: Really still working!
            Wonder what happens if we download a few GB?
            Maybe they send us an invoice over 5000$ ROFL
            '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....

Comment

• sharkcaver
              • May 2009
              • Perth

Hope not, I'm in the middle of a 3Gb download

Make hay while the sun shines sort of scenario

My Journeys

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2010
                • Cairns

Without Nearmaps, how am I going to be able to look at the week by week addition and then subsequent deletion of the artwork on top of Para Hills High School here in Adelaide?
                My god I find that funny.
                Simple things amuse simple minds I guess

Search for 'Para Hills High School' in Google Maps on Satellite mode, have a look around and you will find what I am talking (and laughing) about!

Dan.
                2004 NP DiD GLX, 5 spd Manual with SMF, ARB Bullbar, Ironman 12000lb winch, Lightforce Genesis lights, Airtec Snorkel, 81L LRA tank, Unifilter, GME 3500 UHF, Redarc elec brake controller, ARB dual Batt tray with 60AH Deep cycle Batt & Redarc Isolator, Bushskinz Sliders, intercooler and sump guards, Lovells raised HD springs, Polyairs & Bilstein shocks, Milford Cargo Barrier, Philips +100 globes, 2nd set of rims with 245/75x16 Bighorns, Waeco 60L Fridge & a Cavalier camper trailer!

Comment

• Herman4x4
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Melton, Victoria

Hahha thats funny Dan.
                  Cheers,
                  Andrew
                  Cheers,
                  Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
                  Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                    • May 2009
                    • Perth

lol

Last edited by sharkcaver; 17-12-12, 08:56 PM.

My Journeys

Comment

• Aussie_Dan
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2010
                      • Cairns

Spot on guys
                      God I'm childish.... Hahahahaha

Comment

• Herman4x4
                        Valued Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • Melton, Victoria

Was it done by students? And do you know if they got caught? I think it is funny. Wonder what I can paint on my roof?????
                        Cheers,
                        Andrew
                        Cheers,
                        Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
                        Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                          • May 2009
                          • Perth

Even funnier cause its right next door to an airfield PMSL

My Journeys

Comment

• Downunder35m
                            Valued Member
                            • Feb 2011
                            • Near Melbourne

I gues the most obvious thing to do for them is to delete the accounts of everyone that registered hypertiles.
                            But if they don't I'm quite happy to keep my account for private use only.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X