• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skexis
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2012
    • Adelaide

Mpg

In the UK I remember car adverts stating supposed fuel consumption figures - around town at 30mph and at a constant 56mph for the open road.

Presumably 56mph is a speed at which fuel gets used most sparingly as otherwise they wouldn't use that figure in adverts. Question is, why 56mph? What's so magic about that particular speed?

In kph it works out to be 48 and 90 respectively. Dunno if that helps any.
    "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis
  • CarBuyer
    • Dec 2012
    • Adelaide

Originally posted by Skexis View Post
    In the UK
    I remember that, I thought it was 55mph though :-p surely it would depend on each individual car though?

Comment

• big mik
      • Feb 2012
      • Adelaide

They had to set a bench mark due to engine sizes, you know 850 mini versus V12 XJS, so that speed was set. Some cars run more economical at a higher speed.
      Weird getting used to litres per 100K though INNIT!
      1988 NF V6 superwagon, 2 Inch suspension lift, 31 inch AT's, AM & UHF radio, twin HID 7inch driving lights, 20 inch LED light bar, Reese rear tow bar, Ally bull bar, Tigerz 11 Roof cage and awning complete with LED's and remote dimmer, LED side marker lights on the sills, 2 rear 10w LED work lights, Rear view camera. Bluetooth radio for hands free phone. 1200Lbs winch

Comment

• Skexis
        Valued Member
        • Dec 2012
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by big mik View Post
        Weird getting used to litres per 100K though INNIT!
        ...and it all still being called "mileage".
        "When strangers meet, great allowances should be made for differences of custom and training". The Lady Jessica - Wisdom of Arrakis

Comment

• Goodsy
          Who ya gunna call....
          • Dec 2010
          • Hervey Bay

I was told by a mate years ago that highway fuel eco was calculated at
          77kmph on a flat road with no wind.
          .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
          NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X