• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevie-Ray
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Peakhurst, Sydney

DRIVE review/road-test...

Australia's leading independent automotive news site. Comprehensive coverage of New Models, Recalls, Technology, Industry Research and Motor Shows.

This review is crontradictory as author says; "Combined with independent suspension all-round, it delivered a level of on-road driving ability that shamed many rivals"! Then they give it a 3 out 5 stars & say a dislike is "Road manners lacking on bitumen".
    However, when they compare the Pajero to to the competition, the Prado receives 3 & a half stars but is criticised for being "underpowered; suspension wallows over big bumps; fidgety ride"!?! In my book, those are exactly the things that kills any enjoyment in driving any vehicle, plus on top of that, the Prado is ugly in my eyes (but I suppose you don't notice so much if your inside the thing)!

Steve
    Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
    "I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"
  • GrahameP
    • Mar 2012
    • Brisbane

Hi

Pretty fair review overall I think. Coming out of 95 and 120 series Prados since 1998, I find myself in an NW Platinum.

I was surprised that I couldn't get to like the 150 series Prado after seeing them for 2 years on the road and then still not liking them after 2 long test drives. (and able to negotiate an acceptable price of $62k GXL drive away with auto and towbar)

Since the 120 series (which I would buy new again if possible), the 150 series has got heavier, longer and the driving position is much poorer IMO because of the higher waist/lower windscreen and the much higher view line over the front headlights - this styling seems to be a Toyota corporate styling note across many of their current models eg Hilux. Standing next to the front wheel, the height of the mudguard against my chest was 100mm higher than the 120 series.

In addition to that dislike, the new system of folding the seats into the floor means that an already high load space becomes even higher with the seating storage module not practically removable. A top opening camping fridge becomes inaccessible while standing on the ground much less having to lift the thing higher to get in in the back. The cargo area of the Pajero with the seats removed is much more practical and functional with the exception of the plastic tie down rings fastened with a single screw.

When driving the Prado, the heavier weight over the 120 was very noticeable in a diesel working hard to stay up with traffic and very wallowy on corners even at low speeds. Perhaps the kinetic suspension blah blah blah fixes that on the higher spec models but is an expensive fix.

On the positive, like the 120 series, noise of all types is superbly isolated from the cabin making for very relaxed long distance driving in the Prado. Interior fit and finish is of a very high standard.

Have done about 2400 kms in the Pajero (no long trips yet). Love the diesel economy and performance but there is never a chance you will forget there is a diesel doing the business! That, plus the normal rolling noise is a marked difference to my ex-120 Prado. Driveability is better in the Pajero - I presume from the combo of tauter, independent suspension.

Driving position is excellent in the Pajero with good view lines over the rounded bonnet.

When buying the Pajero, I was fully expecting the noise and vibration compromise but the thing that has surprised me is the interior fit and finish of what is still a Japanese built vehicle.

Today and tomorrow, I am driving a new Hyundai Elantra as a loner vehicle as the Pajero is in for 2 days while they chase rattles and creaks. (see sep thread) The Hyundai plastic trims look and fit to a much higher standard and feel tight - not one rattle or squeak. In the days of chasing lightness for economy purposes, I can forgive lightweight flimsy plastic interiors, but not where it simply doesn't fit well nor stay quiet during the normal movement of the vehicle.

Underneath, I was surprised that in a vehicle with well known NVH issues, there is no sound deadening mastic on most of the underside, just the grey body paint over the steel floor.

Will be fitting a long range tank (which takes up a lot of the up front price differential with the Prado) and looking forward to some longer trips with the van behind.

With cars, life is definitely a series of compromises!

cheers

GrahameP
    Last edited by GrahameP; 19-04-12, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• likatiger
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2008
      • WAMBERAL NSW

Interesting stuff Steve & Grahame,

When I was in our local 4WD club and enjoying the friendly banter between us Paj owners & Prado guys, the Prados were always wollowy and bouncing noticeably over obstacles.

Have to admit though, that if Paj had the same internal fit/finish as Prado, it would be the outright best, but as you say, vehicles are a compromise.

Larry
      NW Platinum MY 2012 DiD auto, Pearl White, Safari snorkel, full tint, all plastics, reverse sensors, H/D tow bar, spare wheel lift, full leather seats & trim, GME uhf, home built storage, dual battery, ARB Deluxe bar, Lovell HD springs with Ultimate shocks.

Comment

• Pickle
        Administrator
        • Jun 2007
        • All over Oz

Next edition of Overlander has a review on the NW Paj. No idea who wrote it.
        Dave
        NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
        Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Merts
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2011
          • Bendigo Vic

Unfortunately, it's likely to have been written by someone who thinks it isn't a real 4WD if it doesn't have Toyota or Nissan written on it.
          Merts
          Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
          Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Jords
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2011
            • Kellyville Ridge

In all reality one must wonder the manufacturing cost saving of cheap plastics over better qlty plastics. I bet the spare part price difference would be none if say you had to replace a piece of broken trim on a pajero vs a Prado. So really the pajero owner is being ripped off in the long run.
            2007 NS VRX Cool Siver, Mitsu Alloy BB with spotties, MM towbar, Family Pack, ARB Awning, Duel battery with Optima yellow top starter, Bushskinz intercooler and sump combo, 2" lift with Bilstein shocks and HD Lovels, Ultragauge (Sold 2014)

Comment

• nannis
              • Apr 2012
              • Sydney, Northern Beaches

I know who wrote it and he may be a regular on here...

Pickle you know who it is!

nannis
              nannis
              Graphite MY12 Platinum edition with Sunroof, Cooper CTS

Comment

• gorby
                • May 2011
                • Northern Beaches, Sydney

Is it out soon. I lost track of which issue they're up to.
                Andy
                Back in a Mitsi
                2014 PC Challenger

LastXplorer.com

NS SWB X DiD
                Gone but not forgotten
                http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=19115

Comment

• Pickle
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2007
                  • All over Oz

Originally posted by nannis View Post
                  I know who wrote it and he may be a regular on here...

Pickle you know who it is!

nannis
                  I thought it might have been . But he ain't saying twat is he.
                  Dave
                  NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
                  Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X