• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JFella
    • Feb 2009
    • Brisbane

Navara D40 - anyone driven them much?

Thinking about getting a late model Nissan Navara D40 - anyone driven one much and what do you think of them?

Looking at 2nd hand prices them seem to be newer and higher spec'd than Hiluxes for the same age....would prefer the diesel but would go the petrol if the price was right...wont do a lot kms in, just for camping etc

Driven a mates Triton and it goes well but just can't handle looking at one
    Cheers, J

NT RX 2009 3.2TD Manual Ironbark with the usual stuff
  • 4wd26
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

don't know how to answer this one and be nice- greta highway travelers but if your thinking about dirt roads sand of "camping" ask around.

Check out the mines up that way- are they running the D40?

we gave the nissans a go, after all they are cheaper.....

4 D40's (had to get the D40's as wanted auto) 3 engines and its not even 6 months, ABS sensors list just goes on.
    ML triton with some accessories
    National E Trek Libary
    Getting Out There

Comment

• Dion
      Valued Member
      • May 2010
      • Brisbane

I have not heard many complimentary things said about D40 Navaras ...
      2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• psproule
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2007
        • Googong, NSW

My brother-in-law's one drives nice when it isn't in the workshop. Multiple DPF problems that cause it to shut down, new rear diff, faulty alternator, other faulty electrics, broken suspension bits. Goes fairly well off-road with a lift but it is very long so ramp-over is an issue.
        2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
        2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• JFella
          • Feb 2009
          • Brisbane

Thanks all - was looking for a real opinions....if you ask some who owns something they generally talk it up regardless so its good you can put questions on a forum like this and get some feed back from people who have the experience but not the ownership...
          Cheers, J

NT RX 2009 3.2TD Manual Ironbark with the usual stuff

Comment

• nervis
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2009
            • Central West NSW

An ex had a V6 D40... PIG of a thing, I HATED driving it, turning circle of a truck, very poor driver visability, total bastard to park, and replacing the buggered clutch was a nightmare for the back pocket.. or purse in her case... The do look good, but thats about it...
            Mick: MY15 NX GLX Manual DID, SprintBooster, EGR blank, Redarc remote EBC on factory loom, GME UHF, TJM Snorkel.

Comment

• MTN-KAT
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2009
              • Gold Coast

Originally posted by JFella View Post
              Thinking about getting a late model Nissan Navara D40 - anyone driven one much and what do you think of them?

Looking at 2nd hand prices them seem to be newer and higher spec'd than Hiluxes for the same age....would prefer the diesel but would go the petrol if the price was right...wont do a lot kms in, just for camping etc

Driven a mates Triton and it goes well but just can't handle looking at one
              Your Triton comment got me laughing. I feel the same way. My son in law has a deisel Navara. Too long for the parking bays! They do look tough. Have read that the turbo's die at 120,000k's and the genuine replacements don't last near as long, and not cheap. There is a web site with a list of complaints on many vehicles. Can't recall the name. There was a recall for a couple of things. Son in laws unit is employer provided so he just drives it around town. Good luck.
              99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• rhymus3
                • Jun 2008

I drive a D40 auto as my company car. The one thing I'll say is I'd never lay my cash down on one. Especially an auto. Absolute bastard of a thing to drive. Too big to park easily. Uncomfortable seats. Too soft in the rear end, always bottoming out. Auto has seriously weird shift patterns. Positives: reasonably frugal on fuel and has been reliable, so far. 72000 kays on it since December 2010. Yes, I do some miles.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

Originally posted by MTN-KAT View Post
                  There is a web site with a list of complaints on many vehicles. Can't recall the name. There was a recall for a couple of things.
                  This be what your after:

regards,

Shane.
                  Last edited by sharkcaver; 09-11-11, 03:16 PM.
                  MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• MTN-KAT
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • Gold Coast

[QUOTE=sharkcaver;179819][QUOTE=MTN-KAT;179801] There is a web site with a list of complaints on many vehicles. Can't recall the name. There was a recall for a couple of things. Yeah. Thanks Shane. That will be a help to JFella. Cheers.
                    99 NL Escape 3.5L V6 LWB Wagon, "Aisin Auto", MM Alum Protector Bar, MM factory 'steel' underbody protector plates, Engine oil cooler, Transmission oil cooler, Side rails, Flares, MM Alloy wheels, HANKOOK Dynapro ATM LT tyres, Aftermarket Alarm, MM A.I.S. HPR15 Penrite engine oil. Penrite LS140 diff oil with 250ml LIMSLIP additive 7098.

Comment

• smithd0
                      • Mar 2009
                      • Geraldton W.A

I guy from work just complete 20,000 km over a few months and he said the navara never missed a beat.

Though if you look on the navara forums their are alot of posts about problems with their manuals wearing clutches under load, they say the auto box is ok in the D40's.
                      2005 NP 3.2 DiD Platnium Edition (Black) 265/70/17 BF Goodrich TA/KO, Rhino Aero bars, roof basket, Bilstein B6 HD, 2" lift Lovells HD front SD rear, GME TX3400 radio, bash plates, 7" in dash GPS/DVD/DTV, ABR Delux Bar, Narva 225 Ultima, HID 55w Kit. Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller, Windsor Rapid 521A.

On Order Snorkle

Comment

• capemanifold
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2007
                        • QLD

I wouldn't touch one ,read the link below.There are many complaints listed here from Navara owners .http://www.motorsm.com/complaints/latest.asp
                        2007 DID AUTO

Comment

• joe2006
                          • Jan 2011
                          • Central Victoria

I have a diesel D40 auto. Bought in March this year & only done 15,000ks.

Very car like to drive & I have had no problems although at 15,000ks you would not expect any.

My only issue is that I sometimes find it tiring to get reasonable economy towing a very heavy load. Unlike our Pajero which will happily stay locked out of overdrive & still provide good returns, I find that the Navara requires the use of overdrive & it can be hard to maintain the vehicle in overdrive with a big load on the back.

I think I have zero brand loyalty however if it were written off tomorrow I would probably replace it with another D40. My only hesitation would be is that there are new models of various brands coming onto the market which might be of interest.

I must say it is an unusual place to get unbiased opinion on a Nissan.
                          Cheers Joe

2004 NP GLX DID Auto

Comment

• Lurch
                            • Jan 2012
                            • WA

I had a D40 ST Auto which I recently traded for a 2011 GLX Pajero.
                            I didnt have any trouble with it that others on the Nissan forum describe and I had done just under 75K in 18 months, mixed highway, gravel etc.
                            It pulled like a train once up to speed and it was reasonably good at all things.
                            I put a bull bar, canopy and underbody protection on it and whilst those add ons made the vehicle bvery useful, they certainly didnt help its economy.
                            I was lucky to pull 520km out of a tank and that is the main reason that I traded it, very poor fuel wise and when it cost 90 bucks to fill it and I was doing this 3 times a week!
                            I wouldnt buy one again unless it had a bigger motor and a couple of extra cogs in the transmission.

Comment

• David Anderson
                              Valued Member
                              • Aug 2007
                              • Albury

At work we have a couple D40's, a couple old model model Navaras and a Hilux.

The D40's are just not up to rough conditions around the mine or even the bad road to Mudgee and back (IMHO) though of all the work vehicles we have they are the most roomy and comfortable for a few guys and gear.

I think I would have one for very light family 4x4 trips and as a work ute in town, but wouldn't get one for any real work or serious off-road.

That said, like a Pajero - some good tires and suspension might really help.
                              09 NT GL manual.

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X