Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you "hide" the radio unit?

Hi,
    I'm about to install an UHF CB radio which has the separate head/display and radio unit. While I know some people install the radio below the front seat (so not too far from the head unit somewhere on the dash), a good friend 4WDing suggested against that.

He suggested to install it behind the glove box or somewhere higher because
    in case you are stuck in a water crossing and water starts entering the cabin, at least the entire radio system is dry. He drives a Patrol though so I need advice from fellow Pajero drivers.

Question : has anybody ever installed behind the glove box (NP model)? or somewhere up high in the dashboard (maybe reached from below the dash)? I don't intend to install roof console by the way.

Thanks in advance,

Jon
  • bgiddins
    • Jun 2007

I posted photos once on here, not sure if they're still around or if it was the old forum.

I have a GME TX3400 (think there's a TX3420 now) - I mounted the body of the unit under the dash in the passenger footwell, and the remote head in the lower glovebox - it's not visible unless you open the glovebox.

To flood it, you would need to have water in the cab level with the bottom of the dash!

Found the photos on my Mac, let me know if you would like them emailed.
    Ben

Comment

Thanks

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the info. I should've put the question earlier. The installation will be done tomorrow by the shop, at least I can request for the same approach to what you said if the shop wants to install the radio below the seat.

I'll ask if they have removed the glove box in the past. I noticed 2 screws on the outer frame but haven't had chance to check if there are more inside (I expect there are).

Best regards,
      Jon

Comment

• Rusty
        • Jun 2007
        • Victoria, Australia

Hi Jon
        In our NM and now the NS we installed the main radio unit under the centre console, under the highest point where your arm rests (but shouldn't I know) while you are driving. Only about 6 screws to undo to get there and there is plenty of vertical space.
        The NM had it double sided taped to under side of console well but this one has it mounted to the tailshaft riser using the cradle and a couple of self tapping screws.
        The head unit in the NM sat in the small indentation in the console but this time we changed over to the GME unit with all controls on the hand piece so now we just have a small plug taped to the console.
        All the wires run under the edge of the centre console.
        Rusty
        2012 NW Platinum 2 in cool silver. Armour tint all round. Hayman Reese heavy duty hitch. Spare wheel lift. ARB heavy duty suspension with lift. Long Range Automotive auxiliary 81 litre fuel tank. Piranha dual battery set up. Battery World second battery. GME TX 3540 UHF.
        Concept caravan, Autofridge 40L Fridge, Waeco CF18 Fridge/Freezer,
        2008 CJ Lancer VR Sportsback with a few little extras

Comment

• bgiddins
          • Jun 2007

Try these photos (hope you get them in time!)

Ben

Comment

• bgiddins
            • Jun 2007

Yikes! Sorry about the size.
            Ben

Comment

Thanks

Hi Rusty and Ben, thanks heaps for the information, pictures and all.
              The shop is quite in the know and didn't intend to install below the seats. He put the radio unit fairly high behind / inside the dash left side of the steering wheel. The speaker is there as well. The head is right above the aux 6-CD player so just above the gear shift. I do find the cable seems to be a little in the way but it shouldn't be a problem.

By the way I also got the shop to install a set of Tough Dog comfort spring (5cm lift) with 40mm bore adjustable shocks. Settings 4 seems a good balance, slightly softer / more comfortable than the standard but not too soft. Just curious, I did try level 1 today, and it really feels driving a house boat, but have put it back harder.

Best regards,

Jon

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X