• Show
Clear All
  • AJC
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • ACT

Ecoshot diesel gas

Hi,

Anyone know anything about Eco-Shot diesel gas in a 2004 NP DiD with a 4M41T?

Al
    Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!
  • AJC
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2009
    • ACT

Well, I have had the Ecoshot diesel gas unit in for a week now. I had driven it around for a couple of weeks without the Tunitchip in it to get a feel for what the vehicle felt like as standard (definatley weeker) and my gut feel is the Ecoshot doesn't have the same grunt off the line as the chiped truck (gas feed is boost regulated) but has similar level of grunt once on song.

I'm contemplating trying the chip as well as the gas (but don't want to over cook it). I'll talk to the workshop first.

Perhaps I should try a less restrictive exhaust system first - there are a few posts about the middle section of the standard exhaust being modded for a more free flowing 2.5" pipe to tie in with the back end of the standard exhaust for not too much coin (as opposed to a full Redback 2.5" system at $1300).

Anyway, first fuel consumption reading was 2.4 ltrs gas per 100kms and 11.4 ltrs/100 diesel with a mix of 21.5%. That was basically around town, commuting and a few test runs - normally i'd see diesel at 12 to 14 for that sort of work so i'd reckon the claims are about right - 13.8 ltr / 100 combined use, with the primary saving being use of less diesel and the gas replacement at $0.70c ltr, not $1.47 ltr.

A freeway run to Sydney and bacl this weekend plus Sydney traffic snarls shoudl give me a few more readings; then its the trip to Fraser Is and back at the end of the month for the real test.

PS. Instalation is neat - 59ltr gas tank goes in where the dicky seat was, with a tub extension to that space (ie. bottom of the dicky seat tub is grinded off and extension tub is installed (less underhand than a LR tank), filler is in next to the diesel filler, unit under bonnet sits in under the snorkle entry on the driver side front wheel arch, gas line in is into the air intake post airbox; boost pressure pickup is from the intercooler hose). Downside is there is no room for the LR tank (buit i think the extra weight od gas and LR tank would be too much anyway) and i'll get adequate range extension from the 90ltr tank plus 2 x jerries on the CT or racks when i'm off remote and or towing).

PPS. I got lucky with the unit and tank being removed from a 3 year old TD Hilux so that only cost me several hunderd and the instalation and extra parts (tank brackets, filler, fuel line, guage / on-off switch and instalation will be almost covered by the govt subsidy). Doubt i would have paid full freight for it (but if it works as claimed and with diesel prices going north, a new unit into a new vehicle that you'll keep for ages would be worth it, especially with the $2k subsidy for a new vehicle meaning you only pay approx $2k yourself).
    Last edited by AJC; 01-09-11, 03:25 PM.
    Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

• mrbitchi
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Brisbane

One thing you need to get is some spare bungs for the bottom of the false floor. It's the first thing to touch down in the rough stuff and you'll end up with quite a few dents in it. In the process the rubber bungs get torn out..

They are the standard MM ones that they take out of the original floor.
      Cheers, John.
      LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
      Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• AJC
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2009
        • ACT

cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X