• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonoM
    • Mar 2010

Input Shaft Bearing Replacement on Manual Gearbox

Hi Guys,

I've got a rear engine oil leak in my 2003 Challenger. Since the gearbox will be pulled out to fix it, I'm going to replace the noisy input shaft bearing in the gearbox.

Gearbox clearly rattles in neutral and disappears when I press down the clutch pedal, so pretty sure it's also the input shaft bearing. Also rattles when under load in most gears, but disappears as engine RPM increase.

Question, for those that have done it or heard about it, is it easy to replace the input shaft bearing? Or... am I unlucky enough that to change this one bearing the entire gearbox has to be pulled apart???

Cheers,

Jon
  • brianwanless
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2008
    • Mackay Nth Qld

Not sure on your gearbox, but a lot of boxes have needle roller bearings in the inner end of the input shaft. If you pull the shaft straight out they will fall into the bottom of the box. You can try tipping the box up on its nose and pulling the shaft straight down, carefully.
    I would also be checking the spigot bearing in the middle of the flywheel,
    the front of the input shaft runs in it. They can dry out and rattle.
    NP did, auto, mags, aux tank, bullbar, hid spots, leds, uhf, engine watchdog, safari chip, anderson plug, fridge socket, gps, snorkel, airbags, sidesteps, dual batteries, hr towbar, brake controller, torque convertor lockup switch, slotted discs, stainless braided brake hoses, led rev lights.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
    Working...
    X