• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Robin
    • Nov 2010
    • monbulk. vic

fuel for my v6 ng superwagon

Hi all,
    Just a quick question. I normally use 91 ron, would I benefit or make any difference if I used a higher octane 98 ron. Just wondering, I think this forum is fantastic I am learning so much and really enjoying the knowledge and information from it.
    many thanks,
    Robin.
    Robin.
    Mods. After market cup holders. 4 After market weather shields from ebay that look and work great. No more messy hair NG 1989 V6 3Ltr. Super Wagon. Electric sun roof, cruise control, ashtrays and great seats and new motor.
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC
  • 91Tourer
    • Jun 2010
    • Hunter Valley,NSW

I'm not sure if using a higher octane rated fuel would make a difference. I use standard unleaded not e10 and am happy with it. I get 550-600k's to a tank(83L) so i cant complain. With fuel prices i cant justify the extra 10c/L plus for the extra octane.
    NP 3.8L V6 2004, Uniden Uhf, Electronic rust protection, ARB winch bar, Lightforce 240 blitz, Tigerz Grande winch with Dyneema rope, Snorkel,Bushskinz Underbody protection, Maxxis 771's, Ultimate Suspension 2" lift with airbagsTug for a GIC Offload camper

NG 3ltr V6 Fully rebuilt, 2" body lift, ARB roofcage now retired!

Comment

• ngwagon
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2009
      • mt evelyn

I would say no.. I use the e10 fuel and get same milage to the normal unleaded.. I get 450 per tank and that's driving kids to school and work.

Comment

• Wiseowl
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Brisbane

Hi All

I would use unleaded if the price worries you but never E10 I use both unleaded and a higher Octane. A lot of the car manufacturers like BMW for one do not recommend E10. Ethanol blended fuel is cheaper but there are a lot of unscrupulous service station owners that like to blend more as they make more money from it. Its personal preference I guess each to their own. A lot of the service stations here in Brisbane do not have unleaded anymore its either E10 or the higher Octanes. I also saw a new lawn mower in my travels and it had a notice attached to it do not use E10. I would google it see what every one else is saying against it.

Cheers All
        Kev
        Formerly 1998 NL Pajero Sold*******
        2007 BF MK11 302 BOSS GT VK4LQ

Comment

• Robin
          • Nov 2010
          • monbulk. vic

Thanks Team,
          I think I will just stay with 91 ron.
          Many thanks,
          Robin.
          Robin.
          Mods. After market cup holders. 4 After market weather shields from ebay that look and work great. No more messy hair NG 1989 V6 3Ltr. Super Wagon. Electric sun roof, cruise control, ashtrays and great seats and new motor.
          To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

Comment

• mr moose
            Valued Member
            • Mar 2011
            • vic, mornington peninsula

These are just my thoughts so far, Please note question marks mean I have no answer, they are not rhetorical, they are genuine questions.

I spent many hours behind the screen looking for information about e10 v unleaded v premium. It seems to be agreed that E10 has 3% less energy than straight petrol, However it should be noted that this is "potential energy" and it depends on the engine and ecu as to whether that 3% is of significance.

The majority of what I have read was hearsay. Majority of the statements went along the lines of: I use it and get more power, a smoother drive or more K's per tank. You can decide which fuel they are talking about because for every person who says one is better there is another who says it isn't. Also as we are talking about a 3% energy difference, is it safe to assume these people are telling us they are getting a full 3% additional/reduction-in power to the wheels and they can notice it simply driving?

There is also a lot of dis-information out there about certain fuel types. Both from the fuel companies and misinformed community groups. To-date I have not managed to find an established test with credible published results to prove E10 is corrosive or results in a noticeable decline in power output. E10 has been available in Australia since 1992, How many mechanics have been able to say what fuel a car has been running from its condition?

When My partner fills up the car I cannot tell which fuel she used, And I do think that you will get more noticeable results from changing your filters (fuel, air and oil), plugs and cleaning sensors regularly than any difference in petrol.

There is a lot more info out there but it is hard to know what is propaganda and what is genuine. I would say do your own tests, try to make them as accurate as possible and decide for yourself.

hope this helps
            96' NK 3.5 DOHC LWB, extractors, dual batteries, ARB winch bar and SCA 9500 winch, reverse camera, spotties and lots more to come.
            Look at me

Comment

• kevin1959
              • Oct 2010
              • Sanctuary Point [sanga]

Robin check thread 85RON???? by Goodsy

Comment

• Thruan
                • Dec 2009

Moose. That 3% is in a perfect world. In the real world e10 has significantly less energy per litre.

If I put e10 in my bike it feels like it's running on 3 cyl's. It wont rev, it has no power, and barely idles. If I put ulp in, it's 10x's better. It revs freely, power is good. If I put pulp in. The bike runs even better. Makes more power, and revs nicer.

Going from pulp to e10 is like turning my bike into a scooter..

My pajero is exactly the same but the differences aren't as large. And same with my mrs Kia. It hates e10.

Some engines like it. Some don't... But after trying it. I will never use it again. Even if it is only 3% difference.

Comment

• ngwagon
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2009
                  • mt evelyn

my wifes 2005 carnival loves it and runs better and no stinky smell like you get from normal petrol.. I wont put it in my zx6r cos i have modded it a bit.. My pajero runs fine and i cant tell the difference except in the bankl account

Comment

• mr moose
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2011
                    • vic, mornington peninsula

I just wrote a mammoth response, but at the end of the day all it comes down to is that it doesn't change performance for some engines and for others it does. The only way to know for sure is carry out some thorough tests for yourself, this includes changing filters and making sure both fuels are running on an even ground.
                    96' NK 3.5 DOHC LWB, extractors, dual batteries, ARB winch bar and SCA 9500 winch, reverse camera, spotties and lots more to come.
                    Look at me

Comment

• gaz1
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Blue Mountains NSW

Originally posted by Robin View Post
                      Hi all,
                      Just a quick question. I normally use 91 ron, would I benefit or make any difference if I used a higher octane 98 ron. Just wondering, I think this forum is fantastic I am learning so much and really enjoying the knowledge and information from it.
                      many thanks,
                      Robin.
                      I doubt that there would be an advantage in using 98RON in the NG - simply because those 3.0V6s didn't have the more sophisticated computer control of fuel injection and ignition timing that the later 3.5V6s have. Even in the later engines there is debate about what, if any, benefit you get from 98RON.
                      Gaz
                      2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X