• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bornozz
    • Feb 2011
    • Perth

Ozz Challenger Build Thread

Just sold my 6inch lifted and locked GQ patrol and needed new wheels, something not as extreme and which will handle better on the highway etc. So looked at a bunch of cars in my price range and eventually settled on a reasonably tidy 1998 Challenger pretty much stock ready to mod.

Bought private for the sum of $3900, it has 288,000 kms, interior is good, body is good apart from a some minor hail damage to roof/bonnet, couple of electricals to sort like 12v outlet and cabin light not working (no big deal), windscreen is cracked but thats easy replaced, synchro on 2nd gear is gone but otherwise mechanicals seem good, suspension is tired (rear leaves are basically flat instead of curved), tyres and brake pads have plenty of life left, oh and of course the electric aerial motor makes noise but does nothing, had new radiator and timing belt/tensioners replaced about 15,000kms ago so dont need to worry about that for a while.

So far all I have had time to do is give it a good cleanup/polish/detail as it was a bit grubby and had dog hair inside. Came up nice. Dropped the filthy oil and filter and replaced with nice new stuff, flushed the coolant and replaced, replaced front diff oil, replaced filthy air filter, fixed windscreen washer pump (actually replaced it with a donor pump from mates 86 corolla Thanks Pat ), topped up electrolyte levels in battery, greased uni and suspension joints.

Next on the agenda is finish replacing the rest of the oils and fix the little electrical bugs. I have ordered a HID kit for the headlights and contemplating a bullbar as I drive country highways a fair bit. Then probably fresh suspension and beyond that the list is looong so watch this space and I'll try and keep it updated regularly.

Any/all comments/suggestions welcome.

Cheers Ozz
    Attached Files
  • bornozz
    • Feb 2011
    • Perth

Some interior pics, those storage spots in the back come in handy although eventually I think a homemade draw system will replace it.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Mitsidriver
      • Oct 2009

Top stuff, look forward to the build.
      2004 Challenger
      MT DUELERS 767, UHF, 2" Body Lift, Tough Dogs

Comment

• bornozz
        • Feb 2011
        • Perth

HID update

ok I put the HID kit in last night, have to say having had HID products before that I'm not blown away by the performance. Initially I ordered the 35w as I thought the 55w would be too bright and draw attention of cops and blind oncoming traffic etc. But in hindsight it seems I should have ordered the 55w. The low beam seems to have improved more that the high beam did. On a side note the LED park light globes although whiter dont seem as bright as the old halogen ones. Oh Well, heres some pics:

1. Low Beam Halogen
        2. Low Beam HID
        3. High Beam Halogen
        4. High Beam HID

Cheers Ozz
        Attached Files

Comment

• bornozz
          • Feb 2011
          • Perth

some more pics on a wall at the shops:

1. Low Beam Halogen
          2. Low Beam HID
          3. High Beam Halogen
          4. High Beam HID

Cheers Ozz
          Attached Files

Comment

• Richo-NT
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2009
            • Brisbane

The difference with high beam isn't that much, but the difference with your low beam is pretty impressive!

Do you know where I could get a kit like that for an NT Pajero??
            2009 NT Pajero GLX 3.2 Auto - Sold

Comment

• bornozz
              • Feb 2011
              • Perth

Originally posted by Richo-NT View Post
              The difference with high beam isn't that much, but the difference with your low beam is pretty impressive!

Do you know where I could get a kit like that for an NT Pajero??
              I bought this kit here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT

This kit should fit any car that runs a H4 headlight with hi/lo beam but just check your car details and there are heaps on ebay to choose from. This kit seems pretty good in terms of component quality and delivery time was good, although I was hoping high beam would be better considering thats when I need the most light. Might be worth getting the 55w kit instead of the 35w, i just worry about low beam being too bright.

There are cheaper kits around but I cant vouch for quality and I like to deal with an Aussie retailer.

Installing is not too difficult to do yourself, the main thing is finding suitable locations for the ballasts etc.

Good luck

Ozz
              Last edited by bornozz; 13-03-11, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• scorpion 42
                Valued Member
                • Jan 2011
                • London. uk

Ozz Challender Build Thread

Yea, born Ozz, bet it does pen and ink inside it and it takes a fair bit of time to get rid of the stink of dogs, in a car. And her arse looks a bit saggy too, as you said.
                Bye the way, If I was you, I would certainly look into blocking off that EGR valve as its a pain with diesels, but there you go, thats my 2 cents worth for you.

Comment

• bornozz
                  • Feb 2011
                  • Perth

Originally posted by scorpion 42 View Post
                  Yea, born Ozz, bet it does pen and ink inside it and it takes a fair bit of time to get rid of the stink of dogs, in a car. And her arse looks a bit saggy too, as you said.
                  Bye the way, If I was you, I would certainly look into blocking off that EGR valve as its a pain with diesels, but there you go, thats my 2 cents worth for you.
                  lol, its a petrol Scorpian, and she dont really stink hey, correct on the saggy bum though. Replacing the suspension is not too far down the list.

Ozz

Comment

• aussiexjr
                    • Feb 2011
                    • lilydale vic

hi bornozz. the challenger looks good especially for the $$ .
                    hid h4's as you can see aren't as bright on high because of the bulb design.
                    see pic.the small gap is the only extra place for light to pass through on high
                    so you wont get the all round light you get with halogens unrestricted light path.
                    you need a good set of driving lights with hids in them for good value.
                    did you need the load module? my highbeam light worked fine but couldn't get
                    drivers to work properly(always on or come on with low beam )
                    there is a solution.see link http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=16970
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by aussiexjr; 15-05-11, 08:30 AM.
                    Cheer, Beno.

1999 MK TRITON DUAL CAB. CRAPPY STD ALLOY BULLBAR. BLACK RIMS WITH 32 in MUDDYS. HID HEAD AND SPOT LIGHTS. ORICOM UHF. WANT A LOKKA FO THE FRONT AND A DECENT BULLBAR.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X