• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black Challenger
    • Nov 2010
    • Perth

Tyre/Rim Sizes for PB

I've noticed most guys are upgrading to a 70 series tyre on the stock 17 inch rims. Has anyone looked at reducing rim size to say 16 inch to have more options for tyre replacement and to save costs.

The only issues I can think of are that smaller rims will hit the brakes, has anyone looked into running say 285/75/16's

I've been quoted over $400.00 per tyre for Cooper STT's in the 17 inch option. I'd rather down size the rims and save some coin in the long run
    2010 LS PB Challenger, Black Mica, 5 Sp Auto, ARB Colour Coded Deluxe Bar, ARB Underbody Protection Panels, IPF 900 Extreme Series Lights, IPF Clear Covers, ARB Fog Lights, GME TX3340 UHF Radio, GME AE4018 Aerial, Old Man Emu Coils and Old Man Emu Nitro Charger Sport Shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 285/70/17 Tires, 3M Black Window Tint, Rhino-Rack Sportz Rail Bars SX B2, Rhino-Rack Steel Mesh Platform Rack, Ironman 4 x4 Awning, 40L Engel, ARB Fridge Slide, BRC Extended Diff Breathers, HR Towbar.
  • 02-SR5
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2010
    • Toowoomba

I looked at this too.

Only problem, is finding the right rim with the correct offset and width.

285 is too wide. It will rub big time. Stick to the 265/70/17 as it will save you the cost of replacment rims too, unless you can get a good trade in on your factory alloys.
    MY17 Triton GLX Plus with Mitsubishi Canopy. Keeping it light and simple. 265/70/16 Nitto's, Bilstien shocks, Kings Springs front, Formula leafs rear, ECB nudge bar, Ligjtforce 170's, twin batteries and a ARB fridge.

Comment

• LukeS
      • Mar 2010
      • Brisbane

I looked into this briefly but didnt have the time to spend checking the offsets with wheel shops. Still tempted to peruse this as the unfortunate fact with 17rims is the profile of the tyre is reduced bringing your rim closer to rocks etc. when 4x4ing.. I already have a few scratches on one of my rims complements of the springs 4x4 park..

If you find a combination that is workable in the 285 let us know cause I would be interested to hear!
      Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...

Comment

• Ballfyboy
        Valued Member
        • Sep 2007
        • Brisbane

get a friend with a 16 inched nm Triton to swap front wheels for an hour.
        NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

• Black Challenger
          • Nov 2010
          • Perth

I've got a mate with a Triton running 285's, I've been meaning to do the swap but it sounds like as soon as its off the jack the treads will rub on something. Will let you know.... I was thinking that with a 2inch lift this would allow enough room and travel for the tyres. The 285's have never rubbed on his with the 2 inch ironman lift.
          2010 LS PB Challenger, Black Mica, 5 Sp Auto, ARB Colour Coded Deluxe Bar, ARB Underbody Protection Panels, IPF 900 Extreme Series Lights, IPF Clear Covers, ARB Fog Lights, GME TX3340 UHF Radio, GME AE4018 Aerial, Old Man Emu Coils and Old Man Emu Nitro Charger Sport Shocks, Cooper ST Maxx 285/70/17 Tires, 3M Black Window Tint, Rhino-Rack Sportz Rail Bars SX B2, Rhino-Rack Steel Mesh Platform Rack, Ironman 4 x4 Awning, 40L Engel, ARB Fridge Slide, BRC Extended Diff Breathers, HR Towbar.

Comment

• 4wd26
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2007
            • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

rims are not the problem, some hummer 16" rims (16x7.5 allow 285 width and stock offset- cheap too.) just not sure if 285 will fit the challenger- tritons fit with 2" lift no problems.

note triton alloys are 7" wide apart from the MN 17" rim (current glxr)

you should be able to source 16x8 +30 offset, in a whole heap of styles, which would be very close to stock +38 offset.

the rear being different though the best would be to test.
            ML triton with some accessories
            National E Trek Libary
            Getting Out There

Comment

• wasarangie
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2010
              • Ocean Grove

I run sunraysia style King rims in 17". I have measured the clearance at 20mm from the rim to the caliper. Given that clearance it would allow a 16" rim to clear I would think. The 70 series tyres rubbed on the inner plastic guard before the lift, now there is plenty of room and the inner guard is held back with heavy cable ties - Thanks to Ballyboy who posted that one up.

SOLD MY11 PB LS Challenger Manual,

MY18 Ford Ranger Wildtrak, Auto. Smartbar Stealth. Warn 9k winch, Redarc dual battery system. over tub rack system. Minecorp phone mount. Folding Phone and UHF antennae mounts. 9" LED driving lights. Assortment of extras from Tickford.

Comment

• greig
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2010
                • kanwal

The Challenger in Thailand comes with a 16" option ( read a cheaper spec model than here, although Mitsu has announced a "cheap" Challenger for 2011, with 16" alloys and no side airbags etc )

Should be good for those that want a set of sliders ( although it won't be technically legal for the side airbag Challengers )

Comment

• fun510
                  • Feb 2010
                  • Port Stephens NSW

Like many, I have been running 265/70/70 ATZ 4ribs on factory alloys. Recently picked up a set of kings 17x8 30P steel rims. I have fitted MTZ 285/70/17. The will fit - BARELY!

Here is my short list of pros & cons;

Pros
                  Awesome Traction Upgrade
                  Increased clearance
                  Improved side prodection in ruts (sidewalls extend slightly past guards)

Cons
                  Dramatic effect on gearing and available torque in gear.
                  Disproportionate fuel usage increase (20%) compared to my 32 ATZ
                  Greatly highlights the lack of bottom end torque of the 2.5L especially when towing.
                  Big hill starts are a HUGE strain on the clutch when towing. (I use low range when towing off road to avoid this)
                  Steering Vibration (wheel wobble) at 100km/hour? Not sure if this is typical?
                  Throws more mud/stones up side of vehicle due to lack of mudflap coverage.

Bottom line is I love the 33s off road. I will use them for off road and shorter towing trips when there will be noteable offroad work. For towing when touring I will probably stick with the 32s. For general on road duties I will stick with the 32s as I do 40,000km plus per year for work.
                  I would definitely recomend 32s for anyone looking for an allround package as they do not require any real compromise. They are an easy upgrade.

If you want 33s, there are some compromises to be made, but you will love them off road!

Some pics!

Including me snatching a cruiser that slipped off a step (front left wheel hooked over big step in washout) - Check the flex of where I was reversing whilst snatching! I don't think this would have worked without the locker and MTZs. Man they can dig some holes
                  Attached Files
                  2010 MY10 Challenger 5spd Manual - ARB Front Bar, Baysie Bash Plates, King Springs & Bilsteins, Rhino Trade Bars & ARB awning, Home Made Storage System, GME Radio, Tows Trackabout Camper. MTZ285/70/17 on 17x8 Kings (Off Road) and ATZ265/70/17 on factory alloys (On Road)

Comment

• Ballfyboy
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2007
                    • Brisbane

fun510,
                    Nice rig, nice work
                    NX Pajero with a ARB Frontier LR tank and some semi-big ideas.

Comment

• LukeS
                      • Mar 2010
                      • Brisbane

Nice work fun510! Looks good with the 285's! Thats with no lift either right?? is there any scrubing? The look to be almost be inline with the outside of the flare..

I just tried a set of steelies in 16 x 8 (not sure of the offset) with 265/75 coopers and they fit on the rear no problems (havent tried the front but I think the rear would have been the issue..), however they did protrude past the flares (off a cruiser).. Im pretty keen to get into a set of 285 MTZ's on a 16in rim... one day.
                      Last edited by LukeS; 04-01-11, 06:09 PM.
                      Mitsubishi PB Challenger:- Charcoal, 5sp auto, Factory bluetooth, Mickey Thompson ATZ 4 rib 265 70/17, Old Man Emu suspension, Hayman Reece towbar, Custom nudge bar w/lightforce spotties, Custom bash plates, Extended diff breathers, GME TX3100 UHF, ABR Dual battery system, Prodigy P3 brake controller, APT fabrication sliders/steps. Towing: Jayco Hawk Outback

To do: Airtec snorkel, maybe ARB bar...

Comment

• fun510
                        • Feb 2010
                        • Port Stephens NSW

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

Luke - I have approx 20mm lift at the front and 25mm at the rear. This is a result of the additional weight in the stroage system plus deliberatley setting my front bilsteins (with 5 grooves for height adjustmests) lower to match the rear.

The big tyres definitley hide any lift as they fill the guards. Note as mentioned above they barely fit. After trimming they don't scub. Other than standard offset I would say this offset (30P) is the limit with this tyre size. They just fit and the sidewalls are just covered by the top of the guard. They actually do look like they stick out a bit due to the tapered profile of the guards. Hence they throw crap all over the car as they stick out way passed the lower sections of flare and mudflaps.

I also tried a cruiser rim (standard 80 series). they are 0 offset - No Chance with big tyres!
                        2010 MY10 Challenger 5spd Manual - ARB Front Bar, Baysie Bash Plates, King Springs & Bilsteins, Rhino Trade Bars & ARB awning, Home Made Storage System, GME Radio, Tows Trackabout Camper. MTZ285/70/17 on 17x8 Kings (Off Road) and ATZ265/70/17 on factory alloys (On Road)

Comment

• 4wd26
                          Valued Member
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Bayside, Brisbane & Stradie

with regard to the gearing- might I suggest getting a set of 4.1 diff gears out of a triton.

This will effectively match the standard gearing while running 33" tyres.

I have already sourced mine ready for my new vehicle upgrade in June.

I have done this for exactly the reasons you have stated. Towing and crawl ability with the smaller engine and torque off idle.

Its a bit busy but compares the ratios and effect of different tyres.
                          and then to counter the effect matching diff ratios.

BTW 4.1 ratio diffs from the triton are easily available
                          ML triton with some accessories
                          National E Trek Libary
                          Getting Out There

Comment

• cate03
                            • Jun 2010
                            • Sydney

Interesting the Hilux manual runs the same gear ratios as Mitsu except for 5th...and turns smaller diameter tyres

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X