• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salcombe
    • Jan 2008
    • Ballina NSW

!998 NL Electrical. Cigar lighter

Hello.
    I am a new member, living in Ballina NSW. I am a member of a motorcycling club with a forum like this one and have found it very helpful and having just purchased a 1998 3.5L NL (petrol) I hope I will find this Forim equally friendly and helpful.

My first cry for help (no doubt there will be several others !), concerns the cigar lighter. The fuze is OK but there is no power to the socket (key in and turned on to Accessories).

Any clues as to my next move please ??
  • cutting it
    • Jun 2007
    • Mandurah

1st thing to do is get yourself a 12v electrical tester... take the wires off the back of the cig.. if you have power there (checking the wires here not the cig).. then the cig is dead and you need a new one... then work back from thereif thats not the case

Comment

• 6G74
      • Jun 2007

There is a fusable link at the back of the socket - its very common for this to blow - you can repair / bypass or replace it. But do as cutting it said and test for voltage there first.

Comment

• Jaydee
        • Dec 2007
        • At home

Originally posted by salcombe View Post

My first cry for help (no doubt there will be several others !), concerns the cigar lighter. The fuze is OK but there is no power to the socket

Any clues as to my next move please ??
        Think seriously about giving up smoking ?
        'No Princess' - NJ LWB - Modded 2.8TD

Comment

• salcombe
          • Jan 2008
          • Ballina NSW

Thank you for your replies Gentlemen. I have eventaully got around to looking into and solving the problem. I had tested the sockets with a multimeter and checked the fuse.

So in the end I tackled the job of removing the central console and found that the lighter socket and the other front one had BOTH been DISCONNECTED !! Seems like the previous owner didn't wont smoking in the car. Anyway, alls well now. No, I don't smoke but want the socket to run the GPS.

Thanks again for your replies.

Comment

• salcombe
            • Jan 2008
            • Ballina NSW

For snarley. I dont seem to be able to reply any other way other than here. Yes, it was awkward taking out the centre console but second time around it will be relatively straight forward. 2 screws either side at the front and there are 4 screws to remove on the rear part which then is pulled backwardsto release the front parts. The trick is to be able to get at the 2 screws beneath the drinks holder. A 400 mm long magnetic tip philips screwdriver will help, particularly when trying to replace them. Forgot, the 4WD shift knob screws off and the gear lever is moved back to lift out the front consul.

Comment

• snarley
              • Jul 2007

thanks for the tips.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X